*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2019208-Once-a-Teacher
Rated: E · Other · Other · #2019208
A chance meeting.For the Daily Flash Fiction contest
“Do I know you from somewhere?”

I pretended to scan the tracks as if looking for my train to avoid the panhandler. She wasn't one of the regulars that worked the station, either busking or squatting behind a carefully lettered placard, proclaiming a willingness to “work for food.” Her fuchsia hair and darting eyes caught my attention as I had passed her by the ticket kiosk. This one must have jumped turnstile to follow me onto the platform.

I craned my neck to avoid her eyes as she bobbed in front of me. I tried to back away from the girl as she breathed a cloud of stale alcohol in my face. Where was a security guard when you needed one?

Finally, I looked straight at the girl, hoping to intimidate her into backing off. My heart stopped as I looked into her eyes. Despite the piercings and the smudged make-up, I knew that face.

“I was right,” she said, rolling her eyes in that practiced way of hers. “You still teaching, Mrs. Moore?”

I gulped and stood straighter. “Rachel,” I said, “Do your parents know where you are?”

Rachel snorted a laugh. “You think they care?”

“I bet they do, which says a lot more about them than it does about you,” I sighed. “Look, my train's coming, and I don't have anything for you.”

Rachel grabbed my arm as I stepped away. I started to pull my arm away from her when I saw the tears in her eyes.

“Look, you were right,” she stammered. “You tried to warn me. I don't know what to do.”

I looked at train as it pulled into the station and then back at the tears on Rachel's cheeks. Work would have to wait today.

Word count:297
© Copyright 2014 Ruth Draves (ruthdraves at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2019208-Once-a-Teacher