*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2019382-FIRE
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #2019382
An ambitious 12 year old wants to become the best Athlete in his school
The twelve year old, brunette haired boy, Sean Mathis, wearing a white “T” shirt, white shorts, white socks and tackies, knelt down on his right knee and looked up. Hundred metres away was the finishing line. The handkerchief dropped and he began to sprint. As he huffed and puffed and pushed his hands backwards and forwards, sweat came pouring out of his, fragile but muscular, body.

“Not bad at all, “ said Mark Pyper, the sports tutor, as he looked at the stop watch and handed over the red coloured track suit top to the student, “But, with more practice, you can do better. Now! I will see you after prep.”

“Yes sir,” replied Sean Mathis, as he slipped on his track suit top which had the British Amateur Gymnastics Association Badge sewn on. He had received this after a gruelling practice in Gymnastics and was now determined to be the best Athlete in the school.

“I can see fire in that boy,” said John Moon, the Headmaster, as he watched the student from his study, “That fire, Mark, is an ambition of what he wants to achieve. He has achieved a lot.”

“It’s a shame that he is leaving,” replied Mark Pyper, as he looked through the window at his favourite pupil, “I spoke to Mr Mathis and it seems that he will not be here on Sports day. I told him that Sean will be participating in many events but he did not seem interested.”
That night, unable to sleep as his body was aching, Sean Mathis remembered what the sports tutor had told him afterwards.

“I have made you a sub for the school Athletics team, Sean.”

The boy smiled as he heard the news.

“I have also entered your name for many of the events on sports day, including all the sprints and most of the long distance running. Your house counts on you.”

The smile faded away, as Sean felt like being hit by rock at what he had heard.

“Sir,” he said rather hesitantly, “I can’t do it.”

“You can,” replied the tutor, “I have seen the fire, the desire in you to do it. You can be the best Athlete in the school. You are like a Roman chariot on a fire going against the enemies.”

The words slowly sunk in and the boy began to feel positive. As days went by, Sean improved his techniques and everyone around him could see this. But many students were unhappy with the competition.

“You are the teachers’ pet,” some teased him.
“It’s all a fluke,” said the others.

But he just ignored them.

One day, just before the Sports day, Mark Pyper, walked upto him.

“Sean,” he called him, “I have also added your name for the relay.”

This was one more event that his name was now added onto and he felt proud as he read the information on the notice board. Altogether it was eight events. Finally the big day arrived and all the parents began. Looking for his parents, Sean scanned the school park but was not able to see them and feeling sad, he walked towards the field. His parents had never bothered with how he was doing at school and they were away each time they had been invited to attend a school event. But as he entered the field, he saw someone smiling at him and throwing a flying kiss. It was his mother who had arrived with her husband.

“I am going to record this moment,” said Mr Mathis, as he walked upto his son and took out his “Eunig,” Austrian made movie camera and smiled, “I love you son!”

This made the day for Sean Mathis and he felt more confident than ever.

Soon the events started and soon they ended.
“Today,” announced the Headmaster, as he took stand in front of the parents and students, “Has been a unique day. There has been one consistent name in all the events and I will be asking him to stay on here when he comes to collect his medal.”

The names of event winners were soon readout and each student was called to collect his, or, her medal. But the one who stood beside the Headmaster and felt proud each time his name was mentioned, was Sean Mathis with a medal around his neck. In the meantime, his father recorded everything with his movie camera.




© Copyright 2014 PJ Patrick (pjpatrick at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2019382-FIRE