*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2019782-A-Friendsgiving-Miracle
by beetle
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Friendship · #2019782
Written for the prompt: You and a friend are invited to a “Friendsgiving” party. . . .
“You getting ready?

I slouched down in the beanbag couch and stared harder at the television, avoiding Rob’s expectant gaze. I was wearing nothing but my pajama bottoms and socks, and I flipped through the channels till I came to one that was about my current speed.

Ah . . . TruTV. . . .

“Nope,” I said in answer to Rob’s hopeful question and he threw up his hands.

“C’mon, Dean-o. You said you’d go to this thing with me, and you can’t back out at the last minute!” he said sternly, stepping in front of the television and effectively blocking my view of the best programming it had to offer on a Wednesday night. He was dressed to the nines in charcoal-colored slacks and blazer, and a light-grey turtleneck sweater. He also had his hands on his hips like somebody’s disapproving mother, and was scowling formidably.

I knew I was in for it.

I sighed and settled even deeper into the beanbag couch. “Look, it’s a whole party. I doubt your sister’ll notice if one guy she’s only met a handful of times isn’t there.

Rob snorted. “Clearly you don’t know my sister.”

“My point exactly!” I exclaimed and Rob was the one to sigh, now.

“Listen, she really wants you there, and so do I. You’re my room-mate, my best friend, and my wingman,” Rob pleaded, making a sad puppy-face. I looked away, lest I fall prey to it.

“I thought it wasn’t that kind of party,” I accused. The last thing I’d wanted when agreeing to go to this Friendsgiving shindig was to wind up in a meet-market.

Rob sighed again, coming to sit next to me.

“It isn’t meant to be, but who knows? Lia’s got a few cute friends who might be looking to get with slightly younger, but totally mature guys who just happens to be their friend’s brother and his friend. Maybe I’ll meet Mr. Right, tonight.” Rob grinned and winked at me, and I scowled, then turned back to the television. “And you might meet Ms. Right. Or at least Ms. Right Now. Remind me again when the last time was you got laid?”

“That’s none of your beeswax,” I said loftily, to cover up the fact that I couldn’t remember back that far. But Rob chuckled and slung an arm around me.

“You can’t remember back that far, either, huh?” he asked, and I shot him a glare.

“Shut up.”

Rob just chuckled some more and gave my shoulders a squeeze. “Fine. Never mind the possible romance factor. Just come with me, dude. Get out of the apartment, for once.”

“I get out of the apartment plenty!”

“Uh, going grocery shopping and doing laundry doesn’t count.”

To that I had no reply and Rob pressed his advantage immediately. “Neither of us have ever been to a Friendsgiving party before. It’s something new, which we could both use, and we might even have fun . . . you know, that thing you used to be so good at back in college?”

I sighed and flipped the channel to SyFy. Sharks were flying around in tornado funnels. I blinked and shook my head. “I still have fun, Rob. . . .”

“When?” Rob countered and I smiled at him sweetly.

“Right now,” I said with scathing insincerity.

“Dick.” Rob snatched the remote from me and turned the television off.

“Hey!” I called after him as he jumped up and strolled off toward his room. With the remote. “I was using that!”

“How ‘bout this: You come to my sister’s Friendsgiving party and I clean the bathroom and the kitchen for the next month,” he tossed over his shoulder, pausing near the aforementioned bathroom.

My no died a quiet death on my lips and I shut my mouth for a few moments, thinking.

“A whole month?” I asked warily. Rob glanced over his shoulder and nodded.

“A whole month,” he averred.

“Well,” I said, standing up and shuffling off past the kitchen, toward my room. “I’ll just get changed.”

Rob chuckled smugly. “I thought you might.”

I rolled my eyes and continued on to my room. Rob and I shut our doors at the same time, and I leaned against mine, almost smiling.

“Friendsgiving party, indeed,” I muttered, then set about getting dressed.

END
© Copyright 2014 beetle (beetle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2019782-A-Friendsgiving-Miracle