*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2022019-Growing-Organic-Pumpkins
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Other · #2022019
This article looks at organic farming with particular reference to pumpkins.






GROWING ORGANIC PUMPKINS
Welcome to this article about growing organic pumpkins, we appreciate the time and we hope that you find something to pick out from here for immediate or future use, especially if you plan to grow pumpkins for either home consumption or for commercial purposes! We just wish you luck and enjoy as you read!

Before we go to the core of our article, let us first ask ourselves these questions: What is organic farming? What makes up organic farming? What does it take to be a successful organic farmer? Why organic farming? (Benefits of organic farming).

What is organic farming?
Simply put, organic farming is an agricultural system that seeks to provide you, the consumer, with, fresh, tasty and authentic food while respecting natural-life cycle systems.

What makes up organic farming?
Typical organic farming practices include: recycled and composted crop wastes and animal manures, the right soil cultivation at the right time, crop rotation as a prerequisite for an efficient use of on-site resources, green manures and legumes, mulching on the soil surface, careful planning and crop choice, use of resistant crops (choosing crop varieties that are resistant to diseases and adapted to local conditions), encouraging useful predators to eat pests and using natural pesticides i.e. very strict limits on chemical synthetic pesticides and synthetic fertilizer use, livestock antibiotics, food additives and processing aids and other inputs, absolute prohibition of the use of genetically modified organisms  Organic farming also involves careful use of water sources and good animal husbandry.

Organic farming is also part of a larger supply chain, which encompasses food processing, distribution and retailing sectors, and ultimately, you. So every time you buy an organic pumpkin from your local market stall or choose an organic pumpkin wine from the menu at your favorite hangout spot, you can be sure they were produced according to strict rules aimed at respecting the environment and animals.
Note: Organic farming does not mean going back to traditional methods. Many of the farming methods used in the past are still used today. Organic farming takes the best of these and combines them with modern scientific knowledge.
Organic farmers do not leave their farms to be taken over by nature; they use all the knowledge, techniques and materials available to work with nature. In this way, the farmer creates a balance between nature and farming, where crops and animals can grow and thrive.

What does it take to be a successful organic farmer?
To be a successful organic farmer, the farmer must not see every insect as a pest, every plant out of space as a weed and the solution to every problem in an artificial chemical spray. The aim is not to eradicate all pests and weeds, but to keep them down to an acceptable level and make the most of the benefits that they may provide.

Why organic farming?
There are so many benefits associated with organic farming, among which include but not limited to:
Increased          sustainable (long-term) soil fertility. Improving soil organic          matter helps the soil to absorb and store carbon and other nutrients          needed to grow healthy pumpkins, which in turn, are better able to          resist insects and diseases.
         Control          pests and diseases without harming the environment.
         Uses          resources which the farmer already has, so the farmer needs less          money to buy farm inputs.
         Produce          nutritious food, feed for animals and high quality crops which can          fetch higher returns.
         By          increasing the amount of organic matter in the soil, as nature does          on a forest floor, organic farmers enhance the soil's ability to          absorb water, reducing the impacts of droughts and flooding.
         Organic          products are important in protecting and enhancing the health of          young children in families. Young bodies in particular are more          susceptible to the impacts of pesticides, fungicides and other          synthetic chemicals used in non-organically grown fruits and          vegetables.
         Organic          farming helps mitigate the threat of global warming by removing          carbon and reducing greenhouse gas emissions from energy-intensive          chemical fertilizers.

So, can pumpkins be grown organically?
The answer to the above inquiry is, YES. In fact, pumpkins are a good choice for a farmer who is considering organic vegetable production, as they may be included early in rotations or in a conversion plan. Given favorable growing conditions, organic pumpkins will yield around 16 tons per acre, are relatively easy to store, handle and transport, and if markets are not over-supplied, can provide a good return for the farmer.
Markets should be assessed prior to planting to determine consumer preference (There are so many pumpkin varieties that can be grown, but some varieties are preferred to others), hence you need to ask around or even visit general food markets to find out the most purchased variety. Organic markets may prefer some of the older varieties (not genetically modified), while processors may be quite specific in their requirements.

Pumpkin's spreading growth habit and leaf sizes gives it a competitive advantage over weeds, and provides an opportunity as a 'cleaning' crop to precede a less competitive vegetable such as onions in the rotation.

Growing a very good quality pumpkin is not as easy as planting a seed and watching it grow. To grow a pumpkin over 1.5kgs you must spend time choosing your seed, preparing your soil and nurturing your plant. Below are some tips to help you actually get some organic pumpkins from the pumpkin seeds that you plant next season.

Make          sure soil conditions are right to grow organic pumpkins because soil          makes it possible for plants to grow. Soil supplies nutrients, water          and other elements for growing pumpkins. Healthy pumpkins need          healthy soil so, before you even begin planting, you need to ensure          that your soil is in top condition. It is a good idea to dig some          compost, animal manure animal manure or blood and borne into your          soil to provide a nutritious environment for your pumpkins to grow.          Note:          Over fertilizing can do as much damage as under fertilizing,, hence          you need to do optimum fertilizing. Also, the soil must be          thoroughly warm. Minimum soil temperature for germination is 70oF          (21oC).          Optimum soil temperature is 95oF          (35oC).          Pumpkins are very sensitive to very cold conditions. Therefore, a          prolonged warm season is essential to obtain quality pumpkins.
         Pick          a site that with full sun (to light shade). However, if the season          is very hot your pumpkin may get sun burnt. It can be helpful to          create a shade structure to protect the pumpkin but make sure you          allow plenty of air movement around the plant.
         Pumpkins          are big greedy feeders. They prefer very rich soil that is well          drained and not too soggy. Mix lots of compost and aged manure into          the planting site before you sow seeds or transplant.
         Select          a site with lots of space for the sprawling vines. Vine varieties          need 50 to 100 square feet per plant. However, if your garden space          is limited, no worries! Plant pumpkins at the edge of the garden and          direct vine growth across the sidewalk. The vines will only be          bothersome for a few weeks.
         You          plant seeds in rows. Space plants 8 feet apart. Plant 3-5 seeds per          hole. When the plants are 2 to 3 inches tall, thin to 2 to 3 plants          by snipping off unwanted plants without disturbing the roots of the          remaining ones.
         Pumpkins          do best when the seeds are directly planted in the ground. Pumpkin          seeds take 6-14 days to germinate.
         Pumpkins          are very thirsty plants and need lots of water. Water one inch per          week. Water deeply especially during fruit set. It is best to water          in the morning at the base of the plant where it meets the soil.          When watering, try to keep foliage and fruit dry unless it is a          sunny day. Dampness will make rot more likely.
         Note          that pumpkins are tender from planting to harvest. Control weeds          with mulch. Do not over cultivate, or their very shallow roots may          be damaged. Mulch helps supply some of the needed micro-nutrients          the pumpkins use, mulches help hold the fertilizers you add, so the          water cannot wash it away as quickly. The mulch holds the fertilizer          long enough for the pumpkin plants to use it. Mulches also hold          water and then release it slowly so plants can use it at a more          consistent rate. Mulches help to provide air spaces in the soil.          Plant's roots do not grow in the soil; they grow in the air spaces          provided by proper soil aeration and by decomposing organic matter.          Additionally, mulches help to lower the soil PH          
         Pinch          off the fuzzy end of each vine after a few pumpkins have formed.          This will stop vine growth so that the plant's energies are          focused on the fruit.
         Bees          are essential for pollination, so be mindful when using insecticides          to kill pests. If you must use, apply only in late afternoon or          early evening when blossoms are closed for the day. Pumpkins have          male and female flowers but only the female flower (which have a          miniature pumpkin at the base) will grow pumpkins.
         Pumpkin          vines are very delicate. Take care not to damage vines, which          reduces the quality of fruit. You can place some soil over the vines          to create additional roots underneath each leaf node to allow the          plant draw in more water and resources thus allowing the fruit to          attain larger sizes. Using a spade or any other hand tool, furrow a          shallow trench and bury the pruned vine by placing a few inches of          soil over the vine. The leaves will gradually become a deep green          color as new roots begin to develop. The roots will grow from the          leaf node at the base of the vine junction. The plant begins to          change from a net user  of nutrients to a provider and storage          machine as new roots begin to grow.
         Farmers          who are looking for very big pumpkins might select the two or three          prime pumpkins and remove all other fruits and vines.
         As          the fruit develops, they can be turned (with great care not to hurt          the vine or stem) to encourage an even shape.
         You          can slid a thin board or a piece of plastic mesh under the pumpkins.

Pest and diseases
Pests
Significant pests of pumpkins include: wasps, aphids, fruit fly, pumpkin fly and cucumber beetles.
Diseases
The most common pumpkin diseases include: powdery and downy, mildew, fusarium and viral diseases.

How to control pests and diseases in pumpkin gardens
Pests          and diseases cause a substantial economic loss to crop farmers.          Other than reducing yield and lowering harvest quality, pests and          disease control increases production costs in terms of buying the          chemicals to control them. Besides chemicals being expensive and not          readily available, they also have adverse effects on the          environment, humans and non-target organisms if not used properly,          and as such farmers prefer to use locally available materials          (traditional methods) to control pests and diseases which are          cheaper, environmentally friendly, easily available and less harmful          to humans and non-target organisms. As one of the traditional          practice, you can use ash and urine to control a wide range of          pumpkin pests and diseases. All materials are readily available on          the farm, no cash expenditure involved (Wood ash, urine, water.          (Note: For preparation, we shall come up with a write up on how to          prepare organic pesticides from urine, ash, water, pepper, tobacco,          neem tree, moringa among others).
         Remove          plant debris as soon as possible after the crop is harvested. The          plant debris provides shelter for insects to survive during the          rainy season.
         Some          naturally derived pesticides are permitted for use in organic farms.          However, this use should not be the primary form of control. Care          should be taken when using these products as some may be toxic to          non-target species and may also affect human health.
         Ensuring          garden hygiene by using mulching.
         Remove          and destroy infested or diseased crops and weeds that are hosts of          pests and diseases.
         Some          plants may be more attractive to pests and these may be          strategically planted to act as a trap crop and to draw the pests          from the commercial crop.
         Pumpkins          should be rotated every 3 to 4 years and you should avoid planting a          new pumpkin crop right next to an older, diseased crop.
         Seeds          for next planting should only be saved from healthy fruit.
         Though          this may be extremely tedious and cumbersome, when you come across          an insect especially adult beetles, hand pick them and destroy them.
         Do          not overcrowd plants to promote air circulation.
         Use          tolerant varieties if available.

Other problems apart from pests and diseases
Failure of pumpkins to set fruit is usually as a result of inadequate pollination and/or excessive amounts of nitrogen in the soil.

Solution
Beehives can be purchased and placed strategically to the plantation or can be hired for the season from bee keepers: 2-3 beehives per hectares (2.41 acres) are needed to ensure good pollination.
If you get a lot of vines and flowers but no pumpkins, you need more bees in your garden to pollinate the flowers. Grow some colorful flowers next to your pumpkin patch this year and you may get more bees and butterflies!
Harvest, Storage and marketing
Harvesting
Your          best bet is to harvest pumpkins when they are mature. Most pumpkins          reach maturity at 3 to 5 months after sowing.  Do not pick pumpkins          off the vine because they have reached your desired size. If you          want small pumpkins, buy a small variety.
         A          pumpkin is ripening when its skin turns a deep, solid color (orange          for most varieties).
         When          you thumb the pumpkin, the rind will feel hard and it will sound          hollow. Press your nail into the pumpkin's skin; if it resists          puncture, it is ripe.
         To          harvest the pumpkin, cut the fruit off the vine carefully with a          sharp knife or pruners; do not tear. Be sure not to cut too          close to the pumpkin; a liberal amount of stem (3 to 4 inches) will          increase the pumpkin's keeping time.
         Handle          pumpkins very gently or they may bruise.

Storage
Pumpkins should be cured in the sun for about a week to toughen the skin and then stored in a cool, dry bedroom or cellar--anywhere around 55F (120C).
Once cured, pumpkins should be graded and packed according to market requirements. Wholesalers usually prefer fruit packed into bulk cardboard bins.
Boxes or cartoons should be labeled with your name to ease identification.
Pumpkins will store up to three months, depending on variety and storage conditions. Only sound fruit should be stored and these should be checked regularly and any rotting fruit removed.

Marketing
Storage will allow marketing over a period of time. This may help to avoid market oversupply.
Pumpkins can also be processed into frozen, pureed for baby food and pie fillings, made into jams and used in dried products. Value-adding pumpkins could be done on-farm or by a certified processor. If supplying a processor, their requirements (such as variety, size and maturity at delivery) should be determined prior to planting.
The economics of organic pumpkin production will depend on costs of inputs (labor, fertilizer), the yield, quality, the type of market you target (fresh or processed) and supply and demand for your product.



© Copyright 2014 EMMANUEL (mwesige2014 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2022019-Growing-Organic-Pumpkins