*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2022492-Inflential-Leaders-of-the-Roman-Empire
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Other · #2022492
A collection of some of Rome's greatest leaders
         
Shepard2

Devin Shepard
Mr. Carroll
History
December 16, 2014

Influential Leaders of the Roman Empire

         "I found Rome a city of bricks and left it a city of marble."-Caesar Augustus. Augustus was the first emperor of Rome, but there were plenty of influential leaders before him. Leaders such as Julius Caesar and Mark Antony were important leaders that shaped the Roman Empire into what it would become. These men were born to lead an Empire that would control the known world for hundreds of years.
         The first influential leader was a man by the name of Julius Caesar. Julius Caesar was born around 100 BC. In 84 BC, he was married to a noble lady by the name of Cornelia. Nine years later, Julius was abducted by pirates as a Roman soldier. When he escaped, he quickly rose to leadership as a consul of Rome. As a general in the Roman army he invaded many lands such as England and Germany. His thirst for power led him to want rulership of Rome. He ignited a civil war against Pompey the Great. After he died, he fought against Egypt. The pharaoh Ptolemy had executed Pompey as an alliance offering to Caesar. Caesar did not like this, and along with Pompey's sister Cleopatra, destroyed Ptolemy and his army. On return to Rome, he elected himself dictator for life. Many did not like this and he was assassinated by political rivals who stabbed him 23 times on the ides of March 44 BC.
When Caesar died a man arose who seemed to be the perfect man to replace him. Mark Antony, a long time friend of Caesar, consul of Rome, and commander of the army. When he arose as the man for the job, it seemed nothing could stand in his way. Along with his repertoire of greatness, he was also Caesar's third cousin. But out of seemingly nowhere came Caesar's last will and testament. In it were Caesar's wishes for his nephew, Octavian, to become emperor of Rome. Antony retreated to Gaul. After five years he was elected to be a Triumvirate with Lepidus and Octavian. With Octavian taking charge of Italy and Lepidus in Greece and Macedonia. Antony decided to have Egypt. He spent a while there, creating a very close relationship with Cleopatra though he was married to Octavian's sister Octavia. Both women were pregnant, and with nowhere to run and trouble rising Antony and Cleopatra committed suicide.
Mark Antony's rival was his brother in law, Octavian. Octavian was also Caesar's heir to the throne. Throughout his teen years, Octavian was encouraged by his great uncle Caesar. Caesar took him everywhere with him. At the age of 18, when his great uncle was assassinated, it was announced that Octavian was Caesar's heir. Cicero, a philosopher attracted to power became Octavian's ally and plotted against Mark Antony. Octavian formed a short alliance with Antony, but when Antony died it became apparent that Octavian was the official leader. His name was now changed to Augustus with Caesar as a surname to confirm his role as supreme emperor. The now Caesar Augustus became the most powerful man in the world and Rome's first emperor.
The three of these men were all great leaders of Rome; but like Alexander and other conquerors their lives ended with nothing. It all reiterates on the verse in Mark where Jesus said, "For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"Maybe Jesus was thinking about these men when he said this.

© Copyright 2014 devflex (devflex at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2022492-Inflential-Leaders-of-the-Roman-Empire