*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2022664-just-a-boring-thing
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Other · #2022664
Not worth reading really, not looking for criticism, just wrote for a friend
    There was a fair breeze, spreading the aroma of the forest into the small town that was busy with the tasks of the day. The people, ravaged by last night's attacks, were  busy trying to mend what was destroyed yesterday during the last attack of the foul beasts. As of late, the attacks sped up, and were of greater numbers of beasts. A year prior, it was one lowly squad once a week, but now it turned into three dozen nightly. Messengers were sent to seek help from those who fought back, but as of yet, no word came back. Only two messengers managed to come home, the rest were assumed dead by the lizard-like individuals.
    These foul beasts ranged in color, but their looks were vastly similar. Jagged backs covered in rough skin, with sharp spiked on their heads, arms, hands, legs, and backs. Large claws dripped with a poisonous oil that would render most immobile before killing them slowly, if the beast did not already finish them off with a powerful bite from their rather venomous maw. Those by water were able to control it by harnessing the power of the gaia. Those were to be feared the most. It was lucky for this poor town that the water came from but a small river that was controllable, but not as much as the lakes and the beach in which the beats called home.
    No wards worked to stop these creatures. The towns-folk had no idea how to control gaia of any sort, and were not keen on the other magics long lost. They did know how to wield pitch forks and crudely made weapons forged by the blacksmiths with the limited material they did have. Those usually were only good for a couple kills before breaking outright in the flesh of the lizard-beasts.
    In the town was one fighter, L'aria who wielded a great axe made in the old times. The axe, much like the wielder was imbued with great power, and sliced through the beasts with no struggle. While the size of a normal individual and five times the weight, L'aria was stronger than any other and was able to wield with such speed that no one in town could keep up with his pace. His broad frame was as much intimidating to the lizard-men as was his skill with combat and motivating the individuals. It was much needed in this time,  especially with the reports that tonight was going to be bloodier than the past. The lizard commander was coming, and it would be the end to the conflict- one way or another.
      Crude bows were being crafted as the designated archers were learning their positions again. Ground troops were busy with drinking- the one way they gained enough morale to go out there knowing some if not all would not be coming back alive. Large pyres were being prepared by the fighters' significant others and by those too cowardly to fight themselves. People were tearing up or pale already from the anticipation. The town's mayor was busy at work checking all, and ensuring that the valuables of all was probably locked safe. In the dark times, the town came together and managed to trust one another enough to have a centralized safe for all. 
    The farmers were unable to worry about any of this. They had the important job of herding the livestock back underground where they were safe from attacks. The crops were lost nightly, but that was the cost for fighting back. Every day they would harvest what they could and then plant back crops that were harvested or lost. It was a constant battle to keep crops up enough to feed the villagers, and while they did not show it, the farmers were all but ready to give up all together.

    There was no speech that night, no one wanted to hear another one. They just wanted the night to be done.

    The moon was full, giving ample light for the archers to see the dust from the incoming troops. The sounds of the feet echoed loudly, even from a mile away. The numbers were staggering, and in no-way were the makeshift troops prepared for the barrage coming at them. Some already tried running away, others passed out.  Only those by L'aria were standing their ground.
      Within minutes the lizard-beasts were within range of the archers, and arrows flew at them as fast as possible. The bows that hit the eyes, mouths, and throat managed to kill the beasts, while the others merely bounced off. These did not subdue the numbers greatly, killing but a fraction of all to come. L'aria and his elite stood their ground and started to combat the oncoming creatures, but even they could only hold off a fraction as the beasts raced passed them towards the other fighters and the innocents locked in their homes. Blood, sparks, screams, and despair wafted in the air in a melody that only war could summon.

    Her raven hair flowed as the breeze danced through her locks. Her eyes drawn ahead looking at what was unfolding. She had only just arrived but could sense the carnage below. Not letting her emotions get control over her, she made her way down quickly, hoping to be able to prevent the massacre of the town needing help. Seeing the first of the invading monsters, the female warrior removed the glowing back from her back and took aim, the arrows forming from her hand from the air around by the grace of the gaia and old magic imbued on the bow.  Her delicate, lightly toned arms, shown no strain as she pulled back and released the arrows. As they went flying off, the arrow cut through the sky, glistening with lightning as they took off. The first target then the second target fell within moments of each other as she continued to run towards the fray firing her magical arrows.
    The enemies fell dead one after another from her rain of lightning arrows. When she got close enough, she changed her technique every-so-slightly to take advantage of her bows other specialty. Twirling the bow around, the fighter quickly cut through the hides of surrounding beasts. As she did danced around with the bow taking out beasts by slashing with her left hand, her right hand glowed with the power of gaia, as she formed numerous arrows that fired at once, cutting through and hitting beasts just shy of the bladed bow.
    The attention in the rear of the attack was drawing more and more attention as the lone female fighter avoided all that the lizards were trying to dish out, laying waste to them as they came. As shrieks rang out, the beats drew out from the town, much to the citizens' pleasure, and came quickly toward her. Damage was already wide spread with many casualties, but it appeared that many would be spared the awful fate, if the fighter managed to fend all.
    Her heart beat faster as she continued to fight off the attackers. More and more came, with more yet around her, blocking off any chance of escape. Not once did she give into fear, but merely continued to fight back in order to save the town, and herself. By now, the white in her outfit matched the rest of the crimson dress. Looking like a beast herself, the swift fighter was starting to slow down from the fatigue of the long drawn-out fight.
    Roars sang out from far ahead of her. L'aria and his few elite were making their way towards her slowly, trying to fend off some of the many that now surrounded her. Their progress was slow as more and more tried to fill the gaps that they created. They did not give up, cutting through numerous foes every minute. Within just a few minutes though, L'aria found himself alone. His men either dead from a few lucky hits, or forced to retreat as their weapons finally gave way. Fighting with all his might he was able to continue to fight, but was much slower with his progress, despite the ever growing rage.
      In the far back of the group of lizard-beasts that now surrounded the poor girl, a new fighter came by quickly. Wielding his wakizashi and tanto carefully, he quickly charged forward with the gift of the wind gaia  allowing him to run so fast it appeared he was merely levitating of the ground at large speeds. Nearing the group, he closed his eyes and sent out two large beams from his fine magic-imbued weapons, cutting up the lizards within twenty meters of himself. charging into the new path, he swirled around and cut quickly, taking out many until he was in the middle of the fray himself.
      Looking at the woman in front of him, he was speechless. She was not large, not overtly muscular, just seemingly a normal girl. Yet her fighting was filled with grace and control that was worthy of those with many more years of experience then she had lived. "don't just stand there idiot, fight." Her voice rang out calmly with a lightness to it, even in the dark time.
    Not wanting to face her anger, the warrior fought back, dancing a duet of death with the female, killing all around quicker than before. A piercing shriek rang out that caused large troops to come flying through the woods from the direction of the lake. Wasting no time, the troops barreled through the minions to reach their targets. While most went towards the two in the middle, a couple went to L'aria who was still busy trying to break through. The two came at him fast, and one almost managed to land a lethal hit, but L'aria managed to block it with his axe, sending him flying back before hitting a tree. Getting up, he went back to action fighting back the armored titanic beasts as best he could.
    The other hulking elite beasts came charging fast, but were quickly met with numerous arrows and waves of compressed energy. While not enough to one-shot the large beasts, after numerous rounds, the leading two fell. The remaining made their way in and fought faster than those before. As the female was shooting the arrows, the male slashed fast at the same target, but the beast still lived. One of the hulking masses came fast at the crimson fighter, but was blocked by the male before any hit could land. This gave time for the female to aim and struck eight arrows within each eye of the hulking beast before it could recover. 
    Not wanting to be outdone, the male quickly advanced forward and slashed quickly. Releasing energy around, not only did his blades cut deep, but the air in front of him became as sharp as blades, cutting two of the remaining beasts like fine wire. As the two fell, another came forward to attack, but was quickly expelled by the female who made quick work. By the time L'aria was finished killing the two fighting him, the warriors managed to defeat the ones around the two.  Within just minutes, all that was left was the commander, who in an act of desperation tried to run away. The female took careful aim, and shot the lizard in the posterior, laughing as the arrow struck. As it tried to get up, another arrow found its mark on the other cheek. Deciding it was time for the battle to end, the female aimed upwards and released what looked like one large arrow. What came down was a barrage that hit the commander all over before shocking him and defeating him quickly. The battle was over, much to the thanks of the nimble, little warrior.

    Cheers rang out as the news spread. The citizens would mourn tomorrow, as today was a day worth celebrating. "That was, you were, just incredible," the male warrior tried to stutter out to the female, "just who are you?"
    "Hmmm, I am not telling," giggled the warrior as she put her bow back onto her back.
    "You just allowed the creatures to go back to their real world at such astonishing speed, I must know who taught you." The male said excitedly.
    "You mean killed them, and nope, not going to say, it is a secret." The female was not releasing any information, and seemed all too pleased about it.
    "Ye, yeah, the bodies before you are the incantations of the souls which go back to the other world. The power you get from them, the power you should feel slowing in you now, that is them giving you thanks by giving you some of their power."
    "Ohh, is that why I feel stronger after good fights, makes no sense but ok." The bright smile on her face glowed as much as the bow. which lit up around her.
    "Well there is no reason for me to stay any longer, shall I see you again?"
    "Hmm, I don't know, maybe?" Once again short with her words, the female fighter focused more on pulling out a small candy from her pocket to eat.
    As L'aria came towards the two, the male was already leaving quickly.
    "You girl, I am L'aria of this town. How can I ever thank you and your friend? You have saved our town, and if not for you, I am sure we all would have died."
    "I want the loot from the battle, and..." the girl started to say as a wicked grin came on her face
    With shivers going down his spine, L'aria was only afraid of what requests could come out her this young fighters mouth. Her fighting was far greater than anyone else's around, and if wanted, she could take the entire town's fortune from them. "And...?" L'aria asked hesitantly.
    "And a bunch of sweets. I am hungry and almost out. I don't know what he wants, he did not say, so I will just take his share of sweets too."

    The town was all too happy to oblige, giving her more than enough to last a month. Their town was saved, and a new friend was made if the threat were to come again. Giving them a token to call her from whenever she departed, going onto the next adventure, wherever the world would call out to need her. Where it was, and if she would see any of the individuals from the battle again, that was up to fate to decide.
© Copyright 2014 blahdiblah (justfortossing at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2022664-just-a-boring-thing