*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2023116-Thank-You-Detroit
by Mike R
Rated: E · Article · Travel · #2023116
A review of my first year living in the City of Detroit.
         
A few years ago, I wrote on my first visit to the Motor City from the perspective of a sports fan.  That was from just one visit, and the city made an impression on me.  A year later I made another visit, and my impression remained the same.  Due to events in my life, it became a conclusion that this city would be a big part of my life.  At the end of January(2014), that became a reality for me, as I uprooted myself from the Washington DC region, and moved to Detroit.  Things just fell right into place for me to be able to do so, so it was meant to be.  I was given a fantastic job in my field of expertise, and, for the most part, the rest just worked out.  Having only been here just over half a year, I can only write on those experiences.






Thank You, Detroit




             
  When I arrived to the Midtown area of the city, I was welcomed by the snowiest winter on record.  96+ inches total.  And it was cold!  It was a different kind of cold though, and it didn't seem so bad.  Then Spring came, and it was an actual season.  Then Summer, and so far it has been a very mild summer, with cool nights.  One transition was seeing sunlight at 10PM, since we are so far to the west of the Eastern Time Zone.  Recently, the region was hit with a heavy day long rainfall that caused massive flooding and billions of dollars of damage.  It has definitely been an interesting experience so far. 



    I will be clear.  I am a transplant to Detroit, and Michigan. I was not raised here.  I was born in Germany, and moved to the US at an early age.  In that, I cannot claim to be a true German.  I have roots, but just because I was born somewhere doesn't make me a true product of my birthplace.  Until I have lived here longer than anywhere I have lived, and earned the "stripes", I can not claim to be a Detroiter.  I would love to, but that will be awhile.  Until then, I will enjoy the transitions, and what Detroit and Michigan have to offer...which is a lot. My one advantage is that I am a Midwesterner, and this is part of the Midwest.



    Detroit has a nasty reputation.  It just does.  Everyone who has heard anything of Detroit has seen the pictures of decay and poverty, heard the stories of corrupt Mayors, and we all know the recent declaring of bankrupcy for the entire city.  Crime is a well chronicled topic.  To be honest, those things are true.  There are neighborhoods that are literal ghost towns.  People moved away from the city in droves.  The police, fire department, and other emergency responders are overwhelmed and under-equipped.  But that is just one view given of this city, and that is mostly media driven.  I have seen why this city has the reputation it has.  I have also seen that this city is a strong and beautiful city, as well.



    Realize this...Detroit is truly no worse off than any major city in this country.  I have seen it in Chicago, NYC, Philly, and most definitely, in Washington, D.C.  Detroit is just that city that gets picked on more than others.  Detroit is the bullied kid.  But, even the victim of bullies will fight back, and this city is doing just that.



    Detroit is renovating.  There are abandoned homes that are getting razed, and new neighborhoods popping up.  This is the city where the American Automobile grew up.  That industry has seen its highs and lows, but yet still moves on.  This city reflects that.  Its citizens are tough and resiliant, but they are also some of the friendliest you will ever meet.  Just don't betray the trust and friendship that they give you, because that will just be your loss.



    I have met and become friends with some of those very resiliant people.  I will not use names, because I have not asked them to use their names, but they will know who they are.  Some I met through family, some through my work, but most from a very typical way.  The local corner bar.  Yep, that's right.  If you want a good cross-section of people, you find them at a bar.  I have gotten permission to use the bar name, so I shall.  3rd Street Bar in Midtown.  This bar is what I call a true neighborhood bar.  It is located mere blocks from the local college, and you have your student base of customers.  There are also older, longtime residents who come to 3rd Street to hang out.  The bartenders are top notch, and have become friends, as well.  This bar welcomed me with a relaxed atmosphere, and it made acclimating much easier.



    Among those I have met:







-A young bartender who is also an amazing talent in graphic arts.  Her work has been used quite a bit around the area, and this young woman has a huge future ahead of her.  The world is hers to do with as she pleases.



-A manager of another bar in the downtown area has partnered up and bought an older bar, and is renovating and transforming it into what is going to just enhance the icon it has already earned.  This friend took a gamble, and is working hard to make that little part of Detroit something to be proud of.



-A young man who started a project using the materials from abandoned homes to create park benches and busstop seating around the city.  He shows what can be done with an idea and resolve.



-A woman who is retired, but works part time for some extra cash.  She has been involved in programs that help young kids athletically, and helps to keep them off the streets.  This woman is an amazing example of care for others, and is a joy to talk to when I can.



-An older man, who is a veteran, with many stories to tell.  Being a veteran myself, I am happy to hear his stories, even if he might repeat one along the way.  By the way, Michigan is one state that really treasures and honors its veterans.  That is just another plus to living here.



-I know some who work a bunch of different "odd jobs" for extra money, but in essence, and with one in particular, those odd jobs just have a sense of improving the city and keeping in touch with the city.



    I could go on and on, but these are just a few examples of the people of this great American city.  Does this sound like some folks in your city or town?  It should, because every town has them, so maybe Detroit isn't that different, huh?  Sure, Detroit is an entity all its own, but its similarities to other regions and cities just tell how unfair treatment has been to this city.  One look at downtown is a look into the past and the future of a thriving city on the verge of a massive explosion of regrowth.  And the citizens are ready to show you what they are made of, and willing to prove that you will not keep a Detroiter down.  Say what you want about the city and its people.  I dare you.  They will just prove you wrong.



    There are many I could thank, and especially one who I owe everything for making this city one I am proud to live in. And thank you, Detroit, for showing this transplant that he made the right decision.



    One day, when I have earned my keep in this area, I, too, will prove you all wrong about what this city is truly made of.

© Copyright 2014 Mike R (mi-mapper313 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2023116-Thank-You-Detroit