*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2023464-The-New-Years-Gift
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #2023464
A girl wants a bird for New Year's Day
         'Mommy, I know what I want for Christmas now," 9-year old Tammy announced as she and her mom walked past a pet store .

         "Hmm? And what might that be?"

         "I want a pet bird for my very own." She said, half tugging her resisting mom to the doorway of the store.

         "No, Tammy, not now. We've got to catch the bus."

         Tammy reluctantly let her mom lead her away from the store.

         "Anyways, you know we don't celebrate Christmas, we're not religious."

         "But all my other friends do! Mary, Christiana, Julie, they all celebrate..."

         "They come from different families, Tammy. You come from this family. Besides, you get presents for New Year's Day." Tammy's mom reasoned.

         Tammy pouted as they waited for the bus. "Then can I have a bird for New Year's Eve?" She requested.

         Her mother smiled. "We'll see."

         Tammy sighed. Sometimes, her mother could be so unreasonable. However, Tammy knew, from past experience, that if she was on her best behavior, she might just get what she really really wanted, at the end of the year. She decided to use that trick and see if the New Year's Eve fairy would drop off a bird at their house.

         Christmas came and went, without presents, and Tammy bit her tongue to keep from complaining after going out and seeing what new things her friends had gotten for Chirstmas. When Tammy got back from Mary's place on December 31, she eagerly looked around for signs of a bird. "Tammy, hurry and take your snow clothes off, it's almost dinner time!" Her mother rushed from behind. "Are you looking for your New Year's Day present? You should know it doesn't come until New Year's Day."

         Obviously caught, Tammy quickly obeyed orders and got ready for dinner and bed.

         The next morning, Tammy rushed down to the kitchen table, where a slip of paper, reading "those who give their patience, receive wings." Looking around eagerly, she tried to find the new bird. "It's gotta be around here somewhere..." She muttered as she searched.

         "Good morning, Tammy, Happy New Year!" Her mom greeted with a yawn.

         "Hi, Mommy. Do you know where the New Year's fairy hid the present this year?" She asked. "I got this note and I feel like my bird is waiting for me to find him..."

         "Did you check your room?" Her mom suggested.

         "Oh, of course, my room!" Running back upstairs to her room, Tammy gasped when she saw her bed. "It's....it's a dragon!" Her jaw dropped when she saw the wings spread out. "A REAL dragon!"

         Her mom smiled behind her. "Do you like it?"

         "Like him? I LOVE him!" Tammy exclaimed, scooping up the new pet and hugging her mom. "He's awesome. Thank you." She said, beaming widely as the dragon licked her. "He's so much better than a bird!"
© Copyright 2014 Dragon is hiding (flamebreather at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2023464-The-New-Years-Gift