*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2023812-The-True-Meaning-of-Christmas
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #2023812
Molly's Christmas wishlist. Example for Khariyya's Heartwarming stories contest
"Mommy, Mommy!" Six-year old Molly ran into the room, her blue eyes sparkling with excitement, and curly brown pigtails flying behind her.
Looking up from her book, Molly's mother scooped up her running child and held her in her lap. "Yes, my dear? What is so important?"
"I know what I want for Christmas now!" the chubby girl turned on her mother's lap and presented a ten-page long list of items.
Her mother's jaw dropped. "Molly!" she exclaimed. "You know Santa can't bring you everything on that list, right?"
Molly pouted. "Why not?" her blue eyes threatened to overflow with tears.
"Because", sighed her mother, "it's too much for Santa to bring. It's too heavy for Rudolph and his team to bring you ten pages of toys, and still bring the other children around the world their toys, too."
"Oh." she hung her head and pouted.
"Here, I have an idea about what we can do with that list."
"What?"
"Why don't we go to the store, and buy everything you want, but give it away to Toys for Tots?"
Molly's lips quivered. "I don't get to keep anything?!"
What sort of selfish child have I raised?! Her mother exclaimed mentally. Taking a breath, she asked "Do you know what the true meaning of Christmas is, Molly?" Please don't say "presents" she prayed.
Molly thought. "No... what is it?"
"Giving. The spirit of Christmas is to give, and not receive." Molly's mom tried to keep a level voice as she explained.
"Oh." Molly's face had a thoughtful look.
"So now that you know, do you want to give other kids who don't have as much as you do?"
"Okay..." Molly nodded.
"Good girl. I'm glad you understand why I want you to do this, now."

Word Count: 295
© Copyright 2014 Dragon is hiding (flamebreather at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2023812-The-True-Meaning-of-Christmas