*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2023860-Why-I-chose-to-donate-my-organs
by chitra
Rated: 13+ · Other · Activity · #2023860
Why I chose to donate my organs
I was extremely excited and happy for my 12th week scan. My husband and I wanted to have a daughter and there it is the oldest of all our babies. My dad kept reassuring me over the phone that I will have a beautiful daughter just like me. Yes like me *Smile*
As soon as the scan was over I called him, he could not attend the call as he was in dialysis. His both kidneys were nonfunctional. As soon as he got to know that the scan went well, he started shopping for the baby and suggesting the names for it. My dad loved me the most. I have siblings but I knew somewhere he was enormously partial about his kids and he loved me the most. He was the pillar of my life. I was always scared of losing him. He was the strongest person I knew. Despite being on dialysis and being in so much pain he never stopped working. He would get tired after dialysis but next day he would be at his office. I remember once talking to him about getting his teeth fixed (he had lost most of his teeth in an accident) He said that, he will not live more than ten or fifteen years so was not interested in fixing them. I was very scared to hear that. I just kept staring at him, because I knew that without the transplant he will not survive more than five years. He wanted to live more. He wanted to play with his grandkids. We had already enrolled his name for national and state registry to get a donated kidney. He was the first on the waiting list. He was extremely pleased to know that anytime he can get a new kidney and he can start his life again as a normal person. We waited for one more year. His blood group was of rarest type and hence had to wait long for the matching donor. Ironically none of our family members' blood group matched to his. My dad was definitely unique!
He lost his battle when I was 9 month pregnant. Just few weeks before my daughter was born. I was not in my home country so my family decided to not to inform me. I was told that he was sick and cannot talk. While rest of my family was mourning over his death...
On the other side of the world I was celebrating my daughter's birth and was hoping to see my family soon. I was hoping to see my dad soon. I was devastated when I was informed about his death. I stopped eating food and couldn't concentrate on my baby. My husband was a great support for me. He took some time off from work. He was looking after me and my daughter. I was put on antidepressants. I had to go counselling every week. My daughter was giving me strength every day to deal with my loss. She has the most wonderful smile and She started baby talking just at one and half month. I would just hold her all day, she was keeping me alive. I started interacting and started meeting people. She made me so strong and confident. I felt that I can start my life again. My husband started going to work and the next day my daughter stopped feeding. The Doctors told us to wait for two days. Two days later my doctor asked us to get her checked from cardiologist. She was reassuring that my daughter is well, I just need to get her checked for precaution. I hit the rock bottom when I heard cardiologist said, "We have a problem here!" My daughter had a 7 mm VSD, a small ASD and PDA. She was born with a large hole in her heart.  Doctor was extremely surprised to see her play happily, he put her on medicines till we waited for surgery. Over the time her health started deteriorating.
She is just three months old... I would cry thinking my daughter is so innocent that she doesn't even know, what she is doing is not normal. Breathing harder, struggling for air, puffing is not normal. May be she is thinking this is how the normal life is and this is how my mum dad live. Day by day it got harder for her to breathe and was really struggling but she still had her Smile. Behind that pale skin.. behind those tired eyes .. behind those blue lips.. she may be thinking that she may be growing and today is a new task... she will breathe harder and keep her beautiful smile.
When she was three and half month old she stopped feeding completely. We had to hospitalize her.
They planned to operate her within a week. I still remember how scared I was. My husband, my support..he was crying like a baby.. I still remember the night of operation. When we saw her after surgery, she was so tiny.. Covered with tubes. She had tubes in her nose, mouth, chest, neck, legs, hands, stomach... everywhere. What had she done to deserve that? Doctor told us that the surgery went well and they are expecting her to progress like a normal child.
She responded very well and was shifted to general ward next day. I was still thinking why this is happening to us.. My eyes teared up and suddenly a beautiful girl asked me if my baby was ok. She gave me a tissue and said that, my daughter is going to be alright, have faith. She looked so beautiful, must be 9 or 10 years old. She was playing and wandering everywhere. Her father came running after her. I told him that he has an extremely beautiful daughter and she has a beautiful heart. He smiled and said he wish she had a beautiful heart...
That girl was born with a half heart. She had a first surgery when she was 7 days old. It was her third surgery. She will need a heart transplant by the time she is 14. She will not survive without the transplant.
Many kids in our ward needed a heart transplant, few were waiting for the donor for more than a year.
Suddenly my problems were so small..
My husband and I talked over this topic. We read a lot about organ donation. He told me that 'we should be thankful to God for giving us beautiful life. This life is beautiful and everyone deserves to live it beautifully. God will bless a beautiful life to whoever helping these kids' and he decided to register himself for organ donation.
He believes in God and so in good deeds.
What about me?? I believe in good deeds. For me, if person dies that's it! He is burnt into ashes or buried into soil. I always thought that there is nothing after death, there is nothing like rebirth.
 But I never thought that there is another way to be reborn. I can give lives to ten people. Some people may survive and they don't have to die like my father died waiting for the donor.
We thought over it and decided we are going to be reborn, and save a life if possible are you??
by,
the daughter of a brave father

The Australian Organ Donor Register (the Donor Register) is the only national register for people to record their decision about becoming an organ and tissue donor for transplantation after death - See more at: http://www.donatelife.gov.au/decide#sthash.6U6umLfY.dpuf
                                                                                                                                 




© Copyright 2014 chitra (chitram at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2023860-Why-I-chose-to-donate-my-organs