*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2024725-ThrillerHorror-Sample-1
Rated: GC · Sample · Thriller/Suspense · #2024725
What happens when one is pushed too far?



Thriller/Horror Sample #1


Just Another Day


It was another Wednesday afternoon. That meant, of course, that it was another Wednesday afternoon in Mrs. Clemick's class. The old bird seemed so pleased about something her grandson had done. I would have been glad to join in with her happiness, however, I lacked the care to give. My mind was far too busy planning, as it had been for numerous weeks.


My balled-up fist was hidden underneath my desk, clenching and unclenching with each passing thought. My mind pulsed with every single possibility, and I could almost feel that familiar urge to grin upon my expressionless face. Almost.


Slowly, I sank into my subconscious, journeying to my most divine of dreams. I could see them--all of them: every single person who had betrayed me. I could see them running in terror and heard them shrieking and screaming all that they could. In that instance, I held a beautifully crafted rifle in my hands, looking near-identical to the weaponry of Lucifer himself. I gave the firearm an affectionate stroke before I loaded it, and took my aim. My ears rang with their chants and pathetic pleas.


"I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" they would yell.


"I didn't mean it! I'll do anything please stop!" I'd finally allow myself, then, the most exemplary pleasure of grinning, beaming with the utmost malice I could muster within my being.

I would whisper amidst the chaos: "Far too late for that now..." Gunshots would be heard from all over the school, and I would be the master of fear. It was a deliciously malevolent scene... Blood gushing, bodies falling, and my laughter echoing throughout the halls. That was true power.


All of a sudden, I heard the bell ring, causing me to snap out of my illusion. I shook my head clear of my tainted thoughts, and grabbed my notebook, promptly walking out of the classroom. I kept my head down as I scurried along through the hallways, overhearing the jeers and name-calling as I passed them by.


"Faggot." "Hey, need a 'breath mint,' cock-breath?" "How're the legs doing, defect? Wanna race?" "Watch where you're walkin', fucking queer." "Fallen enough to finally cause brain damage too, retard?" "Cocksucker!"


Their utter stupidity was obvious to anyone, but hearing the words constantly...every single damn day... it wears a man thin.


Unfortunately for them, I'm not a man to be worn. After all the sanding, after the dust and the excess is blown off...they will come to realize that I have been sharpened to a fine point. An extremely fine point indeed.


Out of the front doors of the school I went, leaving the checkered door, the jeering classmates, and maroon lockers behind. I walked down the steps and raised my head, looking to see the sun comfortably floating in that ever clear sky.


"One day," I muttered to myself.


From my right, I heard my friend Hannah's voice.


"Hey Xavier! What took ya so long?" I turned my head and coaxed my face into a forced smile, raising my hand to wave at her and walked over.


"Sorry, Hannah, I got caught up in my thoughts again," I stated lightly. Hannah is the only girl I have ever known to willingly and happily accept me despite my inner insanity. For that, at least, I can say I am grateful. I shivered and sighed, exhaling a small cloud of warm air into the icy stillness.


"You really need to lose yourself into nothing rather than your thoughts, X-Man. Remember, 'Sha-way a sha-day,'" she responded, crossing her arms and facing me with an almost stern gaze. Her long, amber hair blew in the wind; the only threads that rested undisturbed were those that were securely held down by the knit cap on her head. It matched her red and blue sweater perfectly with its dotted pattern across her midsection.


I gave my hair a flip and gave her a reluctant groan, "Sha-nay a sha-shay." Those words had become gibberish to me now, even though they were once a staple of our friendship.


We had moved over to the large tree beside the stairs that led up to the school. It was secluded enough for us to discuss anything amongst ourselves freely. Quite impatient, I finally asked her what had been on my mind ever since I had entered the building. "Did you get the map?"


Hannah's hand went directly to a section on her bag and pulled out a rolled up, laminated, blue paper.


"As requested," she said with a sincere smile, holding it out to me.


A spark of excitement I have not felt for weeks sent an electrifying jolt through my entire being, causing me to rapidly snatch the map out of her hands before she could pull it away. I unrolled the paper and gazed upon it fondly. It was almost as though the plan we had been developing was finally becoming a reality.


The school's rooms were separated by grade level. The right wing being devoted to the lower classmen and the left to the upper. We did not have to focus on the upper side, since the poor fools were all in my class.


Satisfied I said, "Good work. When will you have the plans drawn out?"


She shrugged. "Probably not 'til tomorrow," she said. "You can still talk to Calden about the rifle you've been eyeing. It's December already...it's getting closer."


"Yes, yes, I'm very much aware of that," I said, annoyed. "Damned December...already half way through and there's still no snow....but yes, I'll be sure to talk to Calden about the rifle. I'm just hoping he can manage to get the lock to his gun shed. Lord knows his parents watch him like a damned hawk."


"Well, they have to sleep sometime. We'll talk about it later. See ya, Xavier." And just like that, she was gone. Leaving me alone as usual.


I trudged down the sidewalk, hands in my pockets as I breathed the cold air in and out in a calm rhythm with my footsteps. Every bone in me wished to run, but I knew I couldn't. Not only for the ice about the ground--I probably still would have tried--but for the injury that cost me everything I had. All because of... that night.


Condemned to the darkest regions of my mind for mere seconds before surfacing again, over and over it plays in my head. The fear and the panic, the twisted sensations of pain and pleasure. Maddening? Mental? No, this was greater than anything conceivable by any common person.


It ran so deeply within my being now that I would be thinking about it without realizing it. Whether in a dream or Hell, it doesn't matter when...when I sleep at night, awake in the morning, go to school, walk home...if that night hadn't have happened I would have had a lot of things. My dignity, my self-worth, my virginity, even. The one thing, though, that they took from me that I could never get back even if I tried...was my speed.


Fastest runner in the state downgraded to a 'mere cripple' within the same pronounced week. "I guess faggotry really is an illness." ...What a thing to say, coach.


That doesn't matter now. Those sadistic assholes will no longer rule over my life. No longer will I be the laughing stock of the school for simply being who I am. Never again will I hang my head in shame as I pass by those lockers and those faces. No more. No more, I say! I will have my day. They are going to pay, and when they realize that they are sorry, in more than one way...it's going to be too late.

The Gun Shed

The air, I swear, was colder than the mountains in "Ice Climber." I stood outside in my jeans and torn, old camouflage jacket as I usually did on cold days--enduring Jack Frost's wrath. I didn't really have a reason to, I just liked to stick it against Mother Nature. Fuckin' bitch.


I had been standing outside my pad for about half an hour. I was staring at the beaten up, old wood shed in front of me. I had always thought that thing was a piece of shit. 'Course, that piece of shit just had to hold every gun my pop owned and of course it just had to be padlocked with a key he kept around his freaking neck. Who even does that? My dad, that's who.


I fiddled with the lock on the door and sort of smiled, holding it in my hand. Wait, who am I even talking to? Shit, looks like I've been talking to myself in my head again...directing my words to...myself...I should probably stop now. Then again, Devil woman always said it was only a problem if I answered myself...


"Calden! What the Hell are you doing out here?" Xavier's voice was as warm as it ever was. That is to say, as warm as the snow in Antarctica. He walked over to me with his usual jerky gait. I'm not really sure how to describe it too well... Besides the fact that he looked like a constipated robot that was just getting tested on its walking capabilities. I probably shouldn't say that concerning the incident though. Oh well.


"Heya, Xavier! What's shakin', my homie?" I yelled back to him. For some reason I felt myself smile. Wait, why was I smiling? Why am I still talking to myself in my head?


"I've got the map, Calden! I've got the map! Oh, sweet Lord. I can just taste their blood on my tongue. Can't you?" he asked me. It was almost frightening seeing him half grin and shake with excitement. The scrap of paper, I assumed was the map he was on about, was clamped tightly in his hand.


I shifted uneasily for a few seconds and then rubbed my hands together. "Oh yeah. But, uh, just making sure here...it's just going to be you doin' all the...ya know. Because, I'm not pullin' the trigger on that rifle on anything that's not a deer."


I felt like he hadn't even registered anything I'd said. He'd already put his hands up, shaking them in unison with his head as he said, "Yeah, yeah of course not. Just leave all the blood business to me. Speaking of the rifle, did you, uh...?"


It took me a second to realize that he had responded so quickly, but once I realized what he was getting at I said, "Well, you see, about that... Dad still wears the key to the shed like a goddamned necklace he got from Auntie Sarah." All at once Xavier stopped. He had seemed to solidly freeze in place. His mouth even hung open as if the words had been stolen from him. Before he could say anything I blurted out, "But hey! I can still get it! Nooo need to worry here."


His muscles relaxed just slightly and he asked shortly, "And how do you plan on doing that?"


I don't even know why, but my mind just went blank. At the most I thought of dolphins possibly being let into the Olympics. Boy, that would be hilarious, wouldn't it? People smuggling dolphins across the borders and specially breeding them for hula hooping or something. Hold on. What? "Uhhhh..."


"Okay. When does your dad take that thing off?"


"Well, shit. I don't know... probably before he goes to bed or something," I said, my hands burrowing into my pockets.


"All right, here's what you're going to do. You're going to sneak in while they're sleeping, take it, run out here and unlock it. They won't even notice. Then, you're going to get another pad lock that you have the key to and you're gonna use that to open it whenever you want!"


"Yeah, awesome!" Five...four...three...two..."...One thing though. Pop goes in there at least once a week. When am I supposed to do this...?"


I could've sworn I saw his eye twitch a little. Hope that doesn't mean he's checking me out or something. "Ugh...at least two days before--" And then she called, as she always did.


"CHRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSS! It's time to come iiiiin!" I shuddered at the sound of her voice and sighed deeply, forcing myself to turn toward the house.


"Well, time to go in. Coming with, Xavier?" I asked and then sighed again. He nodded and we walked side by side to my front door. Goddamn that devil woman. I don't care how or what anyone says, I fucking hate my mom. I just assumed Xavier's sentence would have to be finished later.


Just before we stepped onto the welcome mat he added, "The operation."

Calden's Place


I took the first bite out of my cheeseburger, when I arrived at Calden's place. As I chewed, savoring the heavenly and cheap, questionable meat-like taste I looked over his home and allowed my mind to wander.


I reminisced about us running around and through the white picket fence that surrounded the outside of his home, and I could see all three of us ...just like it was back then... The Russian porno, the races, the dares... if only it could all go back to then... I always tagged along at the end, chasing Caldino and "fleet feet." How I wish to go back... I sighed and took a thoughtful sip from my soda.


Reluctantly, I stepped out of my car and made my first connection of foot to gravel. It was a lovely relationship we had, honestly, usually ending with broken heels and a new bruise on my arm, but still lovely nonetheless. I continued taking generous bites of my uncostly chum as I walked up to Calden's porch.


I rang the doorbell and waited patiently...For five seconds and then rang the bell two more times. At the door Calden appeared. He looked adorable as ever, even if he'd never admit it. With his short, brown hair and matching light brown eyes and that tanned skin... It's almost like God made him just to test my nerves. Just to see how much it would take for me to finally admit what I've always wanted to. Well, I mean, I used to have a crush on X-Man too, but he's gotten so...depressing. Well, depressing and gay.


"Heya Hannah!" he chimed. I knew that from the look on his face that X-Man had been drilling him hard again... Oh God, what the fuck did I just say?


"Hey Caldino! What've you boys been up to?" I made sure to smile as warmly as possible to comfort him. Cal could bear any cold but that of X-Man's freezer aura.


"Oh, just you know. ...Planning and stuff. The usuals," he said as he flashed me a soft smile. "Well, come on in."


I walked in, closing the door behind me. I sat down next to Xavier and placed the rest of my hamburger on the glass table in front of us both. How was there any even left? It was a big-ass burger, that's how.


"So," started Xavier, crossing his arms and pulling them to his chest, "We have the map. Have any new info for us?"


I collected my thoughts and sank back into the soft, cozy couch. "I don't think so. ...Well, besides that he's at it again."


Calden sat up, shocked. It managed to knock him out of his usual glazed expression into something similar to mortification. Damn. "You don't mean..."


"Oh yes. He's found himself a girl this time. She says she's asexual and he's got to 'fix' her. Gotta 'help her find her place and make herself useful.'" I looked to the ground and sighed, "Sometimes I swear our day can't come close enough..." Calden nodded slowly and then laid back again, looking downright decimated.


I looked over at Xavier who was crushing the map in one hand and the armrest of the couch in his other. Hoping to comfort him, I put a hand on his shoulder and gave him a gentle smile, which was met with a harsh glare. I kept at it though, and eventually he relented. "Thanks," he muttered.


"So, what's the next step, X-Man?"


"Now... I tell you the plan," he grunted, pulling out the map and laying it on the table and smoothing out the wrinkles.


"Alright, I'm all ears," I said with a hint of eagerness in my tone, which contrasted Calden's groan of annoyance. No doubt, this was his third time hearing it, at least.


"This all starts two days before this even happens. Calden's gonna get a padlock and keep the key close to him. Later that night, he's going to swipe his pop's key and switch the locks on the shed. This should happen before school. 'Kay? Second day, Hannah arrives, we load up the truck with our guns--"


"Hold it," I butted in. "Guns? As in plural? As in more than that stupid rifle you won't shut up about having in your hands or whatever?"


"Well...just in case, you know? What if you guys get in trouble and you need some protection?"


"Ah, right. We just blow holes in everyone and everything that gets in our way, right?" Calden called out. "We can't all be like you, Xavier. Some of us don't want to kill people for som--"


"Oh, that's rich. If you don't want to be a part of this then why the fuck are you even helping me?"


"Because I'm your friend, dammit....and I know that we're all you've got. If this is how you decide to right your wrong, then we're gonna be there for you no matter what. Right, Hannah Banana?"


"Yeah, of course, but...more than one gun is a little extreme..." I whispered beneath my breath.


"Listen, guys...I know it's shaky, but I have to make sure you guys are safe, okay? Just trust me on this," even through the bitterness I could always feel a certain kind of warmth from his sincerity. Without even thinking about it, I nodded and Calden did the same.


"All right then...after we load up one rifle, one shotgun, and one handgun, Hannah's going to take us behind the school. Calden, you keep in touch via texts and take to the doors in the right wing and I'll follow behind. Once the area's secure for us I'll bust in to rooms one-o-three, one-o-five, and two-three-three. Once they're taken care of we head back into the car and hide out in the old clubhouse 'til this whole thing blows over. So, what do you think?"


I thought about it for a few minutes and then took the map into my hands. "Um...I think I should make some adjustments. Just minor, taking some things into account..." Xavier's face scrunched up and he leered at me again. "Just trust me," I said with a wink.


After a brief pause, Calden sat up suddenly and asked, "So, who wants some cookies? Devil woman made them fresh last night!"


© Copyright 2015 Steven Jackson (stevenljackson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2024725-ThrillerHorror-Sample-1