*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2027482-Chronicles-of-Saveryn-1
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #2027482
One of several short stories about Saveryn, a fantasy setting.
As the cold penetrates his lungs, Garland grabs his glaive slightly tighter. The winds of the mountain where piercing his studded armor. He couldn't see any more than 100 meters due to snow drifts and clouds, but he knew exactly where he was heading. Up this mountain lie Grufnir, the White Dragon who had harassed the town at the base of the mountain. Garland Stormcaller was paid a handsome sum of money to end this beasts life, and his determination to stop the evil of the beast was more than sufficient to handle this cold...but the dragon however, is another matter entirely. Garland, standing outside the beast's layer, gathered his courage and cautiously entered the cave in the side of the mountain. The temperature seemed to defy all thought- it actually got colder as he ventured further in. Good, I found it, smirked the cocky human. He pulled his glaive into a combat position, and began to look around for the beast. After some searching, he found the Dragon, at nearly the top of the mountain. It was growling, shouting into the wind, near an exit it had made for itself from it's layer.
Garland stepped out, issuing a challenge toward the beast. Grufnir reared it's ugly head, shouting and sending a wave of frost and ice at the warrior. Garland whipped his cape in front of him, deflecting the ice and cold as best he could. Garland held his ground, preparing his glaive. Grufnir charged the man, nearly 1/12 his size, and began roaring as loud as it could, shaking some of the more loose objects in the room.Garland grabbed his glaive and lunged toward the monster's mouth, aiming for dead center of his mouth. The dragon leaped forward, mouth agape to devour his new foe, when Garland's glaive struck true, at the roof of the dragon's mouth. As his glaive entered, destroying the monstrous brain, the teeth of his foe surrounded him. Garland dove into the now loose jaw to avoid the monster's jagged teeth, with most being the size of his hand or bigger. As the monster began to tumble, it knocked icicles and treasure loose, sending them flying. When Grufnir's body finally stopped, the jaw was underneath the dragon as a whole. As the stillness settled in the air, a knife blade appeared in the monster's neck, cutting him enough for Garland to crawl out. "Well, I certainly hope that part doesn't enter the song about me"
© Copyright 2015 Luchador64 (luchador64 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2027482-Chronicles-of-Saveryn-1