*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2027589-The-Insanity-of-Loyalty
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #2027589
Does "loyal" mean the same in different circumstances?
"I don't want to say, I can't say, so I won't say"

  She's babbling more than normal. I don't know why I say normal since she's anything but. I try to stare into the green eyes I fell in love with  but they're not there anymore. The piercing green eyes emblazoned with fire are replaced by watery and pale eyes that dart around with obvious hints of crazy.

  "There are people here, Dave. But I always hear your voice, but you're never there" she whines.

  The thing that bothers me is that there is no one else there. As I grip on the cage bars that separate us, my heart aches about the situation we're in right now. She says there are other people but the only ones that visit her are me and the nurse. We thought she was schizophrenic, but her case was extremely grave.

  "I'm here now babe? I can fight off the other Dave impersonators" I attempt a feeble laugh. She takes it and turns it into her gut busting guffaw. It's insanely scary and it makes me want to run. But, I can't. I'm the only one she has. Instead, I move my hands from the bars that separate us and reach in to squeeze her hand. She squeezes back and smiles a toothy smile. I notice that about half her teeth are missing.

  "I'm glad you're here Dave. Why don't you stay with me?" She says the last question in a demanding tone. I am about to let go of her hand and reply when she pulls me in. She pulls me towards her with all her strength and my skull continuously bangs against the bars. I scream, but not very loudly because the impact of the bars to my skull is making me light headed.

Between each pull, she grunts, "STAY. WITH. ME!"

The alarm starts ringing and her nurse comes in with two large men. We are immediately separated and I bolt to the door. I run as I hear her screaming, "I stayed loyal to you Dave! WHY ARE YOU LEAVING ME?" I cringe as I hear her body slump against the floor after, I assume, the nurse has given her a tranquilizing shot.

  I am out the door and at my office nearby in minutes, before the car shows up. After fixing myself up in the bathroom, I take the elevator down to the lobby where my new wife and child are waiting.

  I give her a long kiss in greeting and bend down to ruffle my son's hair in his carrier.

  "How was your day at work?" She murmurs in my ear.

  "Same old, same old"

  We walk to the car and drive away. I'm careful not to look at the insane asylum as we pass by. I promise myself it's gonna be the last time I'm gonna visit her crazy ass. I didn't need to be loyal to her anymore the second she went crazy and I remarried.

© Copyright 2015 stylewiz (stylewiz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2027589-The-Insanity-of-Loyalty