*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2027956-Cutters
by Sam
Rated: 13+ · Article · Emotional · #2027956
This is an article about Self Injury
The word cutters is a slang word for self- injurers, self-harm or mutilation. This behavior is seen in females, males, young or old. It is their way of coping with suppressed feelings. They don't know any other way to express their feelings so they let it out by physically hurting themselves. Millions of people have turned to this behavior as a form of coping with life's emotions. It has remained a silent epidemic for a long time. This silent epidemic is no longer a secret. Since the late nineteen nineties, more people have been opening up about this epidemic and have been getting help for this behavior.

People who cut themselves may suffer from physiological disorders such as a Mood Disorder, Eating Disorder, (BPD) Borderline-Personality-Disorder, (OCD) Obsessive- Compulsion- Disorder, Bipolar Disorder or Sexual or Physical abuse. They often are sad, lonely, irritable, anxious, feel overwhelmed, hypersensitive to rejection and they strongly dislike themselves. Cutting becomes a quick and easy way of defusing great physical or physiological tension from ones self.

Some people hurt themselves by using razor blades, fire, knives; most anything they can find that will cause pain to their body and draw blood. Feeling the trickle of blood gives them a feeling of relief, a high feeling. It releases the calm endorphins from their body. While they are cutting some people feel numb or empty. Some feel pain but cutting reminds them that they really exist and they are alive. Cutting can leave scars. People who cut their wrists, forearm and sometimes their face are hoping a friend, parent or teacher will notice it and help them. Others are more secretive. They want to conceal there pain so they may cut themselves on the ankle, hips, or chest. Most of the cutting takes place behind closed doors such as a bedroom or bathroom.

Ninety percent of the time cutters are women. Especially young adolescent girls, who are extremely critical of themselves, have low esteem and try to be perfect. These feelings can lead a young adolescent girl to cut herself. Although it is reported that there is a higher percentage rate of female cutters than male cutters, the percentage of male cutters could be higher, it's just that it is not reported. Men are unwilling to come forward about their cutting; they see it associated with females but some males such as Hollywood movie star Johnny Depp, admitted that he use to cut himself. Other famous people including the late Princess Diana of Wales, Angelina Jolie, Wynona Ryder and Fiona Apple have reported they have cut themselves.

Founded in 1984 by Karen Conterio, the administrator of S.A.F.E., Self- Abuse- Finally Ends, the first treatment center opened for self- injurers, has been proven to have helped hundreds of people, S.A.F.E. provides in patient and out patient treatment. This program takes a radical approach by placing ultimate responsibility in the hands of the self- injurers. Using proven techniques such as a no- harm contract, Impulse control logs, and extensive writing assignments, patients learn to take control of their situation and make the conscious choice to be injury- free.

How will you know I'm hurting
If you cannot see my pain?
To wear it on my body
Tells what words cannot explain.
-C. Blount

Bloom Kingson Jennifer, Conterio Karen, Lader Wendy, Ph.D.
The Breakthrough Healing Program for Self- Injurers, Bodily Harm



© Copyright 2015 Sam (shamaz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2027956-Cutters