*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2029906-coming-of-age
Rated: 13+ · Monologue · Emotional · #2029906
I dont know. lets just start. write away
10 Feb 2015          

Coming of Age

It all begins with coming into this world on my "glorious" birthday. The first feeling of my exposure to this cruel world makes me cry. Literally. I yearn for attention. I only desire to be held in the warm arms of my loving mother, sweating from the intense labor she is recovering from. Indeed, it was a struggle. And the harder part of raising me has just began. I spend the next few months and years just eating, drinking - mostly milk, and growing. I will one day become a big boy they say.

Happiness is all I want. Running out in the streets, playing with my neighborhood friends, watching cartoons is all I care.. I can't get enough of it. It's the best way to lead my life. I know no danger, fear cant get to me, everybody's my uncle, even everything seems to revolve around me. Oh my days.

In time, the smiles turn to frowns and tears. School now catches my attention. Somehow, I want it. It's this mysterious place older kids go every day, carrying back packs, wearing uniform, only to come back in the evening with "Homework". What is that all about? I want to go to school so bad and experience the institution of education. Heck, it might help me become a pilot, a doctor, or even an engineer someday. But do I want to become that? Is that my ideal career? I don't know. Im just a child they say.

I pass through the system and indeed become a part of it. Class after class, I gain "knowledge". Useful and not useful despite one of my teachers claiming, "Knowledge is never wasted. You'll one day put into use what you know." Okay, I see some sense in her assertion but I am certain not any time soon will I put into use the massive knowledge I have gained in the few years I have been in school. Soon I start sitting for national exams. Thorough preparations are a must. But not for me. Im smart, I have studied enough. I don't have to stay up late at night just for a simple test. I convince myself. I decide to rely solely on my memory and IQ. It's even a multiple choice exam. Who can fail that?

Inevitably, I somewhat fail my first national exam. I lose my opportunity to join my dream high school. I am called to some mediocre school I had never even thought I would consider attending. Well, its life. Full of disappointments and failures. I wont cry. No. Its not worth my tears. I vow to try my best every time I have a task ahead of me. I take it as an eye opener. A lesson learnt. Truly, when you lose don't lose the lesson.



© Copyright 2015 Quality (quality2015 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2029906-coming-of-age