*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2030508-Savanna-and-the-Flying-Feuding-Factions
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #2030508
One little girl must find her courage to bring peace between dragons and sphinxes.
Floating in the skies, high above the clouds were two completely different islands. On one island there lived a beautiful race of dragons, on the other island was home to the elegant sphinxes.

The dragon’s island was lush, green, and in the center of it was a tall majestic blue mountain. The top of which had a sparkling spring from where water falls flowed into rivers that snaked across the island until they cascaded over the edge, through the clouds to the mysterious world below. The great mountain was dotted with countless caverns that served as the dragon’s homes. The caves were lined with glittering rainbow gemstones, and the floors were covered with soft moss for which the dragons to sleep comfortably.

The dragons had thick scales, leathery wings, and they were seen in many shapes and colors. Some were of the four-legged variety, had long horned heads with deep blue scales, and flew on two great wings. There were also narrow headed, emerald scaled dragons with long, slim bodies held aloft with four feathered wings. There were even long horned, triangular headed dragons with gold bodies, wrapped in black stripes that walked upright on two legs.

The most beautiful was the Dragon Queen, Diama. Her body was armored with clear scales that reflected light. If you were to see her fly, she may appear blue as the sky, or if viewed from the right angle, you might even see the sunset in her scales. Not only was she pretty, she was also a kind and protective leader loved by all on her island.

The Island of the Sphinxes was covered in glittering white sands. Near the center was an oasis; a wide lake surrounded by tall grass, palm trees, and large rocks that were colored as the evening sky. Dotted around the island were pyramids made of gold, where the sphinxes called home. Inside of those massive triangular buildings were statues of great sphinxes, pools of water that flowed in from a canal, and beautiful paintings and carvings which depicted the ancient history of their race.

These graceful creatures had the body of a lion, bird-like wings, and the heads of lovely women. The Sphinxes were nearly as varied as the dragons. They might have golden plumage and fur, with blonde hair on their narrow heads, or deep red fur and fathers, topped with orange hair, draping over their round faces.

The race of Sphinxes had their own Queen. Her name was Zahra and she had a silver fur coat, snow white feathers, and blue hair with white streaks, like a blue sky with long narrow clouds. Not unlike the queen of dragons, Zahra too was a compassionate leader of her kind.

The Dragons and sphinxes weren’t the only ones living on the two floating islands. There were also humans that lived harmoniously beside the larger races. The people on Dragon Island lived in a magnificent castle near the Blue Mountain, while the humans on Sphinxes Island lived in a grand temple beside the great oasis.

The people took care of their larger kin, working the land for food and gathering water while the dragons and sphinxes guarded the humans from the monstrous aerial predators of the world.

There was one important rule, however, that if you lived on one island, you could never travel to the other. Whether you were a human on dragonback, or a sphinx traveling alone, no one was to visit the other island of the other race. This was due to a disagreement between the dragons and the sphinxes that had kept them apart for countless years. So they all obeyed the rule; no one would ever see the other race.

Except one special young girl.

Her name was Savanna, and she was the only person allowed to visit both islands. She was a blue-eyed, blonde haired, energetic girl, and though she was only ten years old, she carried a heavy burden. From the day she was born, she was destined to be the one to end the feud between dragon and sphinx, though she never knew how.

One day after an exhilarating flight on the back of her best friend, a blue dragon named Misty, Savanna saw a commotion on the island below, so she decided to see what it was all about. As her dragon landed, a woman rushed over to get the girl’s attention.

“What’s going on?” Savanna said.

“It’s dreadful news.” The woman was frantic. “The day of reckoning has come!”

Savanna casually hopped off of her dragon. “What are you talking about?”

“The two queens request the presence of all peoples to witness the Great Battle. You are the only one who is friends with both the dragons and sphinxes, so you must decide the victor!”

This frightened the girl. She knew this day would come and she feared that she would let everyone down if she made the wrong decision. She wanted nothing to do with a heated battle, especially between the two queens she came to love and respect. She froze in that moment, petrified by her own fear.

“Will you go?” The woman pleaded. “You must go, if you don’t, a war may come to our peaceful islands, and nothing good ever comes of war.” The woman’s words weighed heavily on Savanna’s mind.

The girl gave it some serious thought, and she came to realize that no matter how scared she was, Savanna knew she had an important destiny to fulfill. Everyone depended on her, and she was not about to let them down.

Savanna jumped on Misty’s back and said with confidence, “Where are they?” Referring to the dragon and sphinx queens.

“They are on Serpent Island.” The woman said with relief.

The young girl knew of that place. Serpent Island was actually a set of three islands; one above the other, with a waterfall cascading down each level, before disappearing into the clouds far below.

Shortly thereafter, Savanna reached Serpent Island. She could see the two queens at the great body of water into which the falls crashed. The girl quickly had Misty land on top of a grassy hill in front of the dragon and sphinx queens.

Still nervous, Savanna steadied her voice as she knew not to show fear before her queens and friends. “I am here, my queens, and I am ready to witness and decide this royal battle.”

Zahra, the Queen of Sphinxes, stood on her hind legs to address the crowd. “On this day we will end the years of friction between our kinds by glorious battle.”

The Dragon Queen, Diama, sat up as well. “Indeed, this rift between our two races ends here and now with a victor chosen by Savanna.” The dragon pointed a claw at the young girl.

All of the dragons, sphinxes, and people cheered for Savanna. She blushed and gave everyone a quick wave and smile.

The crowd calmed, then the two large creatures faced one another and growled. Savanna didn’t know how the two would settle the confrontation, she just didn’t want anyone getting hurt. As much as the girl wanted to run, she knew she had to stay and do her part. Everyone counted on her.

The Queens both roared in unison. “Let the Battle of Beauty begin!”

“What!” The words came out of Savanna’s mouth without her even realizing. She slapped her hands over her mouth to keep any more words from escaping, as questioning royalty was frightfully frowned upon.

The dragon Queen went first. She struck a pose, one with all fours outstretched and her wings spread wide open. “ooohs and aaahs” were heard from the crowd.

The Sphinx took a pose of her own, showing off her ferocious, yet graceful feline body. This drew a greater response from the people.

Savanna tried to pay attention, but she just couldn’t believe it. The whole time, so much bitterness over who was prettier? She was quite upset, until she realized, at least with such a battle, no one would get hurt. If the contest was all it took for everyone to be friends again, then she would go along with it. She gave both Diama and Zahra her full attention.

The dragon shot into the sky like a rocket, did a quick summersault, then dove back down, skimming the falls as she passed, spraying onlookers with water. Diama then hovered majestically in the sky, letting the sunlight reflect off of her shimmering wet scales.

The crowd applauded and a cheered. Savanna was impressed.

The sphinx hadn’t reflective scales, but she did have a gorgeous woman’s face, painted with flattering makeup. Zahra gave her silky hair an alluring toss, winked and then blew kisses at the crowd.

Cheers and whistles erupted from all around. The girl looked at the dragon, but she had no more moves. Savanna considered the winner. Diama put on a grand display, though she couldn’t compare with the Zahra’s enchanting face. After all, it was a beauty contest, not an aerobics competition.

Zahra spoke before Savanna could even get a word out. “I think we have a winner.” The sphinx smiled.

Suddenly Diama smacked Zahra with her tail. The Sphinx lost her balance and then fell into the body of water. Amid the gasps, she reemerged, her hair was a mess, her makeup ran down her face, and she was covered in weeds.

“Now we have our winner.” Diama triumphantly proclaimed. Only this time, the announcement was met by nervous murmurs.

The dragon queen clearly stated that she was the winner, and even so, Savanna was afraid to question her queen. Zahra should have won, but Savanna struggled to find the courage to say anything, though she knew that she wouldn’t be able to live with herself if she remained silent.

Savanna stood on the highest part of the hill, raised her hands, and then shouted so that everyone may hear her. “Wait!”

Everyone went silent and gave the young girl their full attention. Savanna turned to her queens. “Please forgive me, but wasn’t I the one who was supposed to chose a victor?”

The Dragon and sphinx looked at one another, and then back at Savanna. “Yes.” They said in unison.

“Then I say the winner is the Zahra, Queen of the Sphinxes, and I would have chosen her even is she wasn’t the prettiest, because she didn’t cheat!”

The Dragon Queen looked shocked. “Me, cheat?” She said innocently.

“I saw you.” Savanna turned to the crowd. “We all did, didn’t we?”

At first there was no response, and then a man stood up and said, “I saw it.” Then a woman stood with him. “I saw it too.”

Sphinxes in the crowd stood as well. “She cheated!” They chanted.

Even the dragons had their voices heard. “We cannot deny it. Diama cheated.”

Diama bowed her head, turned to Savanna and sighed. “You are right, young one. That was dirty trick. My actions have brought shame to not only myself, but my people as well.”

The dragon looked over the sea of faces with a grim expression on her face. “I would like to say that I am truly sorry, and that Zahra, the Queen of Sphinxes, deserves to win.”

The crowd roared. Everyone grouped around Savanna, picked her up, and carried her away to celebrate peace.

Ever since that day; Humans, dragons, and sphinxes have lived together in harmony, and it would have never happened, if not for the courageous actions of one special little girl, whom they called: Savanna the Brave.

© Copyright 2015 Gregory A. Williams (hermitcrab at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2030508-Savanna-and-the-Flying-Feuding-Factions