*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2031104-SURPRISE
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest · #2031104
A husband and wife floor each other one fateful evening.
SURPRISE          
         Rick was sweating from the disapproving glare of the nurse, arms crossed in front of her substantial form, guarding the emergency room door. He was having difficulty focussing on the two uniformed police officers interrogating him. Now he knew what it felt like to be in a bad dream and helpless to wake up.          
          Although dazed, he understood why the cops were present. It seemed like hours ago that he'd stumbled into this local hospital half-carrying half-supporting his very pregnant wife. When asked what had happened to her he'd blurted, "I punched her." Now he glanced over to where she lay propped on a gurney, struggling to breathe.          
         Taking a deep breath himself he retold his story. He'd arrived to a darkened house earlier this evening. This wasn't unusual, his wife was supposed to be at work. He'd entered through the kitchen door , thrown his keys onto the counter, intending to watch some television. With no illumination, Rick strode into the living room. Suddenly, he was startled to feel a hand on his shoulder. Without any conscious thought, he whirled around and lashed out. Something thudded to the floor.          
         As he'd lunged for a light switch, Rick could hear moaning. Nothing had prepared him for the sight of his eight-month pregnant wife writhing bloody at his feet. His fist had flattened her nose.          
         He assured the skeptical officers that he'd never ever hit a woman before and that he realized this looked really bad. "Please, you have to believe me. I'm not making this up." From the bed covered in sheets as white as she was, Rick's wife whispered, " We're both victims of a prank gone wrong. Tonight, my husband floored me. I've always wanted a nose job. The timing could have been better though." 296 words (inspired by a Daily Flash Fiction prompt)
© Copyright 2015 SandraLynn Snowflake Slingin' (nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2031104-SURPRISE