*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2031790-Frames-Per-Second-Part-3
Rated: 18+ · Other · Sci-fi · #2031790
A glimpse into a world we don't normally see. Its not a good one.
The empty can made a slight ringing noise as David tossed it aside and it bounced off a lab table.

“I don’t see how you drink those energy drinks,” Gavin commented, as he took a drag off his cigarette, “They’re horrible for your health.”

David scowled in Gavin’s general direction before leaning towards the computer monitor. “So these guys,” He said, pointing towards the things wearing the suits, “who are they supposed to be?”

“No idea,” Gavin grumbled, “They’ve had a couple days; maybe word has reached some important higher ups. Who knows, maybe I created them three days ago when I went snooping in things I shouldn’t have.”

David turned, a confused look on his face. “Created them? What in the hell do you mean by that?”

With a sigh, Gavin swiveled toward David and then leaned back in his computer chair. “I don’t really believe that, but it is a theory.”

He continued after seeing there was no recognition in David’s face, “One of the theories of parallel universes is that every action you take, like when deciding what to eat for breakfast, you’re actually creating another universe where that decision played out differently.”

“So, by deciding to investigate the black frames, you may have somehow instantly created a parallel universe filled with those freaks.”

“Right,” Gavin said, “Then again, that’s not what I think happened.”

“Mmm hmm, so what then?” David asked, cracking open a new energy drink.

Gavin chewed at his lip for a moment, “I think I created a ‘splitting point’. Imagine our two universes existing from when time began, independent but parallel to each other, both follow the same exact line of history, from the cavemen discovering the wheel, to what you decided to eat for breakfast. Everything almost exactly the same, bar a few subtle differences; a desk being an inch off in placement, a piece of paper sliding a bit further when set down.”

He rubbed at the corners of his bloodshot eyes before continuing, “So both universes are almost identical up to this exact point, and then BAM, the splitting point. My copy and I are made aware of each other, and our respective universe’s paths start being not so parallel.”

“Okay,” David said, “Except one universe happens to have normal human beings, and the other has melting faced creeps who leave ominous messages as soon as they know we’re watching.”

“Right,” Gavin agreed, “I already mentioned subtle differences.”

David leaned forward and put his hands on his knees, he was tired, and the caffeine jitters weren’t helping his mood any, “So now what?” He asked, waving one of his hands towards the monitors, “We’ve been recording the room for the last couple of hours, and there hasn’t been any change in the images.”

“I have no idea,” Gavin admitted, “I guess we could put the camera somewhere else. They’re obviously not here anymore.”

________________________________________

Twenty minutes later, the camera was repositioned, pointing out one of the lab windows.

“There,” Gavin said, standing up from the laptop, and brushing nonexistent dust from his hands. The laptop was sitting on the floor, connected to the camera with a standard ethernet cable. “It’s all set up, and we’ll be getting another picture here in a couple minutes.”

David leaned back against the window sill, a serious expression crossing his face, “Do you really think they could do anything to us?”

“I don’t know,” Gavin replied, “I certainly hope not. But even still, now that they know we exist, it could change everything. Even if they can’t touch our universe, there is still a physical connection.”

“Physical connection?” David asked, “We’re only able to see them through a camera that is taking pictures at insanely high speeds.”

“Well, the camera works off of light,” Gavin said, peering out into the rapidly lightening sky, “and those light photons have to bounce off something physical to be seen by the camera. So no matter how small the gap from our universe to theirs is, it’s still there.”

They both stood quietly for a few moments, reflecting on those consequences, before they both jumped as the laptop emitted a quiet beep, indicating the next image was ready.

Gavin lifted the laptop and balanced it precariously on the windowsill, and they both took a moment to look at each other before Gavin pressed the enter button and the next image filled the screen. The image showed a darker version of the view from the lab window, looking out across the campus lawn and into the city beyond.

David scanned the image, and glanced out the window, “There’s something there,” he said, pointing towards the laptop screen, above the buildings of the nearby city. “It looks like… Well, it could be smoke.”

A column of smoke rose off in the distance in the dark image of the laptop’s screen. Gavin peered closely at the image, and David squinted out the window and towards where he had seen the rising smoke.

David was instantly flooded with dread as it hit him, and he slowly turned towards his friend. “Gavin…” He said slowly, in an even tone, “Isn’t that in the direction of your-“

Gavin’s eyes widened in terror as realization overcame him and he turned and ran, slipping on the slick linoleum floor as he went. He flew past the lab tables, slowing only slightly to snatch his keys off his desk, and barreled through the double doors of the lab’s exit.

David started running after him, but stopped short. He quickly gathered the camera and laptop, hoping he wasn’t missing anything important, and hurriedly followed Gavin out of the lab.

________________________________________

David pulled up to Gavin’s townhouse, which was sandwiched in between identical squished looking houses. Nothing looked amiss, except for a stressed looking Gavin smoking on the front steps. David stopped the car, and breathed a sigh of relief as Gavin signaled that everything was okay.

The laptop beeped as David connected it to the camera, pointing towards the two story townhouse. David leaned back against his car as the camera did its thing. “Nice parking job,” He commented. Gavin’s SUV was parked haphazardly, and at an angle in his driveway, he had obviously hopped the curb in his haste.

Gavin wrinkled his face, and then spit out into the grass in reply.

“She okay?” David called out, knowing the answer, but still wanting it confirmed that Jenny was fine.

Gavin nodded and flicked the cigarette into the garden next to his stairs. He stood and stretched before making his way across the lawn and next to David.

“I…,” he choked out, “I don’t think I want to see what comes out in this next set of images.”

“I think we already know,” David said worriedly, and they both stood in silence as the camera whirred, and the laptop finally beeped.

There on the screen, were the remnants of Gavin’s townhouse, fire had spread to the surrounding houses, apparently the source of the smoke they had seen in the earlier image. Gavin put his face into his hands and groaned. In the image, nothing was left but smoldering embers and ash.

“Jesus…” David said, “Are they just fucking with us now? Knowing we would eventually see this on film?”

Gavin shrugged, he looked defeated, no doubt exhaustion adding to the weight of his sagging shoulders.

“Well, come on,” David said, putting his hand on Gavin’s shoulder and pushing him towards the house, “We might as well get some rest. If they could get to us, they would have, instead of leaving us threats like this. I’ll get the camera, you go inside and lay down.”

Gavin nodded and tiredly made his way towards the house while David started disconnecting the laptop. As he was pulling the cord out from the computer his muscles tensed and froze as a half scream, half sob erupted from across the lawn. He snapped his head in that direction and saw Gavin fall to his hands and knees on the porch. David was there in an instant, his hand on Gavin’s shoulder, his friend shaking uncontrollably.

“Gavin, what’s wrong?” He asked as he leaned over him. Then he saw it, and his own knees grew weak. Smeared across the welcome mat, was a familiar viscous and dark liquid.

© Copyright 2015 HeyaGoncho (heyagoncho at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2031790-Frames-Per-Second-Part-3