*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2032273-The-Soccer-Prodigy
Rated: E · Fiction · Other · #2032273
A fictional story of a young prodigy who grows up to do great things.
Three. Two. One. Happy Birthday!!! Dezesseis! 16! Sixteen years old! I was so excited. I was with all my family and friends, and we were celebrating my birthday. I blew out my candle.
Hooray!
Our family was too poor to afford a cake, so we just had some freshly cooked potatoes, my favorite! Then came the fun, for my present was here!
“Here honey, blow out the candle and make a wish!” said my Mom.
“Thanks Mom!”
I blew the candles.
“What did you wish for?” my Dad asked with a smile on his face. I smiled.
“Can’t tell you that,” I chuckled. He laughed and nodded. “Well, I hope it was for a ‘futebol’, because BAM!” My friend came in the room juggling a brand new soccer ball!
“Thanks so much Mom and Dad! A new soccer ball! Wow! Just what I wanted! How did you guys afford to buy this thing?” I said as I hugged my parents.
“You friends, father, and I chipped in!”
“Thanks guys! you’re the best! Guess what!? Let’s go play...TAG.” They all had sudden sad-looking, disappointed faces. “OK, they grumbled. “Just kidding! Let’s go to the Maracanã Stadium!” AKA our street. But, we did live in Rio de Janeiro, where the real Maracanã Stadium is located at. We played all day, laughing, making jokes, scoring sweet goals! I managed to even score a bicycle kick, but I ended up with a scratched back. But it was all worth it because it was the best birthday ever!

I was playing soccer one year later at a somewhat nearby soccer field with my friends at 6 in the morning. Usually it was crowded there at around 8 o’clock, but my friends and I figured it would be worth it to play on grass with a real soccer goal for a change. It was a great time. 12 minutes in, and I had scored a hat trick! I didn’t celebrate too much though, because a bit earlier we saw three men wearing suits and black sunglasses staring at us, and right now, they still were. I freaked out, and told my friends I was cansado, or tired. I left, and walked back home.
The next day, there’s a knock. I just woke from a nap, so as I opened the door I was rubbing my eye. But the door wasn’t the only thing that opened. My eyes widened as I saw who it was. It was two of those men that were staring at me yesterday. I screamed and slammed the door shut. I went to my room, looking for anything that could protect me. I found my soccer ball, and I prepared to shoot them in the face when I saw my Mom talking to them. She said “Honey, why so scared? These kind me here wanted to talk to you about your soccer skills! Why don’t you come in?” she said to the strange men. Mom apologized for my behavior. We sat down, and they talked about how impressed they were with my skills. I blushed. They said I was true Brazilian talent, a prodigy. They then handed me a contract to join Santos FC, a well-known Brazilian soccer club! I was overcome with alegria, or joy. I happily accepted!

A year later, and Goooaaaal!!! Santos FC 4, Corinthians 2. I just scored my third goal! By this time, I was well-known by the people of Santos. [Not to boast, but] word got around that new talent had arrived. I was in the locker room with my teammates. We were celebrating our victory when my agent came by and informed me that… brace yourself… I was asked to be on the Brazilian national team!!! I was so animado! (Excited) Of course, I was just about to sign the paper when I remembered about my family; I couldn’t leave them! Oh, man. my agent and I had a chat about this. We then called the national team manager, and he sighed.
“I will make you an offer. I can pay for your family to come with you.”
“YEAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSS! Brazil, here I come!!!”

2 months later, and now it’s time for my first World Cup! I was so excited for what was in store for me. Well, I should get to practice now. The first game is next week! I want to train hard and be fit and ready for my-oh my goodness-FIRST WORLD CUP!!!
First game. Brazil vs Chile. Brazil 5. Chile… 2! I had scored 3 goals! Next game, we were playing Argentina, a skilled rival of ours. 3-1. We had WON! I scored once this time, but made an assist as well! The third game was against Germany. They were tough and skilled. We were tied 2-2, but at the 90th minute, we managed to squeeze in a last minute goal! We went on to the round of sixteen, where we played the Netherlands, and managed to win 4-3! I scored only one goal. Then, in the quarter finals we played France, and we scored 6 goals! The French team did score 4 goals on us in return though. I scored a hat trick! It was a miracle. In the semi-finals, we once again met Argentina, who this time, beat them 2-1. I didn’t score this game, but I did make the assists that led to our only two goals. In the final, we were playing Germany. Exceptional team, with great players. We beat them once, but with all the pressure, we were not sure if we could win a second time. But, we believed, and had confidence. We walked onto the field, and played. I remember the joy of the last whistle, when we had won the World Cup! An amazing accomplishment! We struck, and won 3-1! I scored an amazing 2 goals! A record for the most goals scored in a World Cup by and 18-year-old! Campeões do mundo! World Champions! The fans went crazy! They all came running down the stands, and I’m sure from outsiders looking at this, it looked like they were attacking us! Oh the joy, of winning the World Cup for your own country, on home soil! When we held the trophy, I was proud. Of myself, my teammates, my friends and family, of my country. I remember the joy of kissing the Cup itself! Oh what a day.
Now, I am writing this incredible story to you. And to think, it all started with me wishing to be a famous soccer player on my 16th birthday. I don’t know what will happen next, as this is after the World Cup. But I do know one thing; a little ball, had changed my life.

“Futebol, o esporte bonito.”
(Soccer. The beautiful sport.)

Signed,
Lucas Luis,
Brazil, 1982
© Copyright 2015 `DanielDan (danieldan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2032273-The-Soccer-Prodigy