*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2032287-World-War-III
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2032287
Suspense and action
World War III

Author: Ray Wang

         John Ban is a renowned politician, not a killer. However, when someone is willing to bribe him $20,000,000 to assassinate someone, the money is irresistible. His task? To murder the President of Russia.
         As John departed his limousine, he is genuinely astounded by the auditorium. Although the auditorium is fairly similar to the Sydney Opera House, John knows that the auditorium can withstand a nuclear missile. But he is most astonished by the majestic marble statues throughout the estate, for a single statue can be worth around six million dollars. As John snaked through the sea of paparazzi horded at the front gate, he held on tightly to his leather suitcase. It was 10:23 a.m., which gives him seven minutes to kill.
         When John entered through the dense steel doors, he is immediately greeted by his fellow politicians. John responded with polite greetings, and found his way to his seat at the front of the auditorium. He settled into his seat and checked his watch; 10:26, just on time. A couple minutes later, he exited through the auditorium's doors, leaving his briefcase behind. When he got to the front gates, he swiftly evaded the paparazzi's cameras, entered his limousine, and sped away in such a haste it caused the police to cower in fear. Just minutes later, the entire auditorium busted into an inferno of flames; nobody survived the fury of the bomb.
         A few days later, John is arrested at the Moscow International Airport for assassinating the president and 23 members of the Russian congress. Almost immediately, International diplomats sent money and support to the Russians to cope with the tragic death of their president. To the public's dismay, Russia's Vice President announced that the United States is behind the hiring of John Ban and provisioning him with C-4 explosives. Russia threatened to declare war on America, if the American President refused to apologize for its outrageous crimes. The American public, infuriated against the Russian government, began to protest by vandalizing Russian neighborhoods.
A couple hours later, the American president denied any ties with John Ban or the assassination of the Russian President, and warns Russia that declaring war is inappropriate and foolish behavior. However, Russia disregarded America's warning and declared war on America. World War III has officially begun.



Alex Reqil is a semi-ordinary youngster living in a semi-ordinary house. Alex is 5feet 4 inches tall, and has blond hair. When other people meet him, they often describe Alex as too serious or too shy. But as people begin to know Alex, he becomes a very intellectual individual.  To Alex, being semi-ordinary meant that his father is the general of the United States Army and his mother is a Republic diplomat. Although a life of luxury meant paradise for many people, Alex felt like being rich was a curse. Wherever you went, people will be constantly snapping pictures or requesting autographs from you, but Alex just wants to be alone with his parents.
It began on February 9, 2018 when multiple Russian bombers are spotted near American territory. Some American jets flew to intercept them, the bulky Russian jets immediately turns around. The American pilots, thinking that the Russians are retreating, chased after the bombers with a renewed sense of courage. With the American jets closing onto the sluggish Russian bombers, the Americans are certain that the battle was won. Abruptly, a missile struck down an American jet and sent the other jets scampering to locate the origin of the unknown missile. Within minutes, the entire squads of American jets are destroyed and the bombers were successful. It turns out that the unknown missiles were launched from a local destroyer in which the Russians had secretly designed. The battle is the dawn of a very bloody struggle.
Alex is startled conscious by the sound of his father yelling on the phone: "WHAT! AN ENTIRE SQUADRON OF LOCKHEAD F-80S? WIPED OUT?" When his father hung up the phone, Alex heard the front door being hastily opened and slammed shut with a loud thump. Alex moaned in weariness and checked his alarm clock; it was 2:30 A.M. By 7:00, Alex and his mother were watching the news regarding the horrific defeat of the American jets. Following the news cast is the opinions of several nations who are strongly concerned about the escalating tensions between Russia and the United States. However, just an hour later, America declares war on Russia for threatening its national security. When Alex's mother heard the news, she begins to weep; she is weeping for the young soldiers who are risking their lives for America.
Every minute, the tensions between Russia and the United States are intensifying. With new recruits, the Russian army now amasses to 597 million soldiers, which outnumbers the 443 million soldiers in the United States army. But both nations understand that modern warfare can only be won with weapons of mass destruction, even though using the weapons will damage their global reputation...
When the phone rang at 3:02 p.m., Alex is astounded to hear his father's solemn voice on the other end. In fact, Alex had never heard his father so depressed before. His father stated that he will be living in the White House for the remainder of the war and hung up. As Alex delivers the devastating news to his mother, Alex is bothered by the fact that the war had just begun. For the next month or so, Alex and his mother were constantly checking the news for any signs of American victories. But to their displeasure, the media has screened most of the news regarding the war.
The only significant indication that reminded the public of the ongoing war is the constant sounds of jets overhead, the shortage of food, and the deteriorating strength of the American economy. Otherwise, the war is barely noticed by many Americans. A couple months into the war, Britain and Canada agreed an alliance with America to repress the power-hungry Russia. But even with the alliance, the Russians are still winning the war with the stealthy destroyers in which the Americans nicknamed "The Silent Assassin".
Alex is scrolling through the news section on his MacBook Air when he stumbles upon an article the Russian Vice President demanding the United States to surrender. As Alex skimmed through the article, he is shocked; the Russians are planning to nuke the White House with multiple intercontinental ballistic missiles. When Alex E-Mailed his father the article, his father responds by promising that the article is a bluff, and everything is alright. But to the majority of the American public, the article is a genuine threat.
It is a pleasant morning at the White House. But for many people, the weather is insignificant in comparison to the desire to punish Russia for its horrendous invasion. Just as the American President is about to announce a spectacular victory of capturing the Kamchatka Peninsula in the Rose Garden, a cascade of missiles are arcing at the White House from the horizon. The sight of the missiles caused mayhem in the city as people began to sprint for shelter. Anti-ballistic missiles are launched by nearby underground chambers and rapidly ascended to intercept the Russian Missiles. The missiles anti-ballistic missiles collide with the Russian nukes and generate a blinding flash of light. But the Russian missiles overwhelmed the anti-ballistic missiles; the entire city of Washington D.C is dissipated to ashes.
The shocking news is mentioned on every broadcasting station just minutes after the bombing. The event has an enormous impact on Alex, because his father was in the White House when the missiles struck. Astonishingly, the Vice President was within the depths of the underground chamber when the missiles rammed into the White House. He is unscathed from the missiles that had demolished the entire city. The following day, the Vice President of the United States announces publicly that he is surrendering to Russia. In the treaty, the United States are to give Russia 21 Trillion dollars in ten years, and annex a part of Alaska to Russia. On June 3rd, the treaty is signed and World War III is history. But for Alex, the death of his father can never be forgotten. The Russians will be punished for their crimes, Alex swears it on his father's grave.


© Copyright 2015 That person (pulsar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2032287-World-War-III