*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2032440-City-Angel
Rated: 18+ · Other · Fantasy · #2032440
An angel frees a poor girl from a life of poverty
City Angel


I huddled in the corner of the alley and tried to make myself invisible to anyone entering from the busy street beyond. Tears rolled down my cheeks and I sniffled in an attempt to stop my nose running as well. It was dark and cold where I hid and I had no idea how long I would need to stay here. How long would Aaron search before returning to his room in disgust. He had accused me of being useless and not bringing my share of money into the household before he had slapped my face and thrown me against the wall. That was when I had run, fearful that if I stayed the beating would escalate until I fought him no more then he would sob and drag me to his bed and rape me as he cried that he was sorry.

Tonight I had done the unexpected and pushed him back and run for my life but what was I to do now? I could see the neon lights at the end of the alley and people rushing back and forth and I wondered if I would blend in out there and just keep walking. I had no idea where I was going as I had no family or friends in this city which was why I had stayed with Aaron so long. With no work and no money I was like a small child lost. Canberra is not a very big city to hide in and I would have to figure a way out of it before someone saw me and called Aaron.

Looking around I took in the dirt and squalor of this tiny space in this city I had always thought was so clean. To my left were several black dumpsters that someone had graphitized with filthy words and Nazi swastikas. To my right a pile of empty milk crates and rolled up newspapers. Stinging my nose was the awful odor of decay and urine. I guessed I would have to get used to that smell if I was to become a homeless person because I would die before I went back to my role as sex slave for the hurtful Aaron. A life where he sold my body to his clients for cash and used it for himself whenever he chose.

I wrapped my arms around my torso to try and keep the damp evening air from chilling me through to my bones and pushed further into the darkness. I could not risk Aaron finding me so I needed to remain unseen until the morning came. I dozed on and off but I was shaking so much from the cold sleep was difficult.

As the pale sun rose and shone into the alley it bought hope to my battered heart. Surely today I would find somewhere to go. My stomach rumbled reminding me it was nearly a whole day since I had eaten. Just when I was about to rise from my corner I heard cheerful whistling coming towards me. ‘No, no, please do not let it be Aaron.’ I whispered over and over in my mind. I closed my eyes and covered my face hoping I could shut the world out and I would not be seen. My wish was granted. Someone lifted the lid of one of the garbage bins and I heard the rustle and thud of a plastic bag falling in, then the bang as the lid dropped back down and more cheerful whistling, this time going away from me. I could not stay here as there were sure to be more people coming down my alley. I straightened slowly grimacing as my arms and legs protested at having to move. I walked slowly to the head of the alley and was rewarded by a beautiful warm day which made my head spin with hope. I walked slowly down the sidewalk stepping out of the way of the rushing hordes of people pushing and shoving every direction. It had been so long since I had looked into shop windows in the centre of Manuka. The alley I had spent the night in was at the back of a row of restaurants and designer clothes stores. There was a hairdresser and a beauty salon as well. Places I had never been inside.

In the window of a Chinese Restaurant was a sign that caused my tired eyes to light up.
‘Staff Wanted—Waitress to work night shifts, no experience necessary.’ The sign read. The shop was closed until 11am according to the sign so I needed to wait a while. I spotted public toilets across the road and crossed over. After using the toilet I washed my face and tidied my dress as best I could before I went for my job.

I was still hungry but was frightened I would miss out on the job if I wandered too far away so I just sat on a seat near the shop and waited. It was a busy area with many cars and people going about their daily business.

Eventually the doors opened at the Chinese Restaurant and I saw a smiling Asian lady look about the street casually before retreating back inside. I quickly rose and entered the shop. ‘Hello,’ I said quietly to the small, smiling lady that I had seen open the doors. ‘I would like to apply for the job of waitress please.’ She looked me up and down and I cringed at what she must be seeing but she seemed happy enough.
‘You ever done any waitressing before?’ she asked in a gentle sing song voice.
‘Just for private parties.’ I replied.
‘Ahh, you one of those girls, eh? No place here for you girl. You get out now and no come near here again’ She rapped out and walked off through another door which presumably lead to the kitchen.

I stumbled back outside shocked that she had known what I was and was disgusted with me too. How was I to become accepted in society and get a new life if everyone could tell just by looking at me that I was no good was my next thought. I crossed the road where there was a beautiful park surrounding the amenities I had used before. I found a seat in the sun and curled myself into a ball and wept silently. I was tired and hungry and had to watch for Aaron or any of his friends as well.

I didn’t mean to cry myself to sleep and who knows how long I would have stayed that way if I hadn’t been gently shaken awake. I jumped up in fright and would have run if it was not for the face that I awoke to. Never in my life had I beheld such beauty or seen so much compassion on a mans face. His vivid violet eyes stared into my churning ocean green ones as I tried desperately to calm myself down.
I stayed very still as he placed his hands on either side of my face and closed his eyes for long seconds. His hands were warm and smooth against my skin. Then he opened his eyes and without a word stood up and took my hand in his and drew me to my feet. I did not feel the slightest bit afraid but felt soothed and happy to follow wherever he led. This stranger with his golden curls falling over his shoulders and perfectly shaped mouth.

My mind was racing. Who was this beautiful man? Why was he here? Where was he taking me? I did not hesitate as he led me back towards the dark alley I had spent the night in. I felt safe with this man, not threatened or in any danger at all which was strange considering what I had recently run away from. I should have been terrified of any male especially one leading me away from safety. What was wrong with me? Is this why men always took advantage of me, because I was stupid.

As that thought ran through my head we stepped into the alley out of sight of passers by and he turned to me. When he finally spoke his voice was angelic, soft, silky and smooth as toffee.
‘You are far from stupid, Jay, in fact you are brave and strong and have lived a thousand lives in your short time on earth, more than any one person should have to and I am here to bring your reward.’ He smoothed my straggly brown hair from my forehead and leant forward and placed his warm lips close to mine. I waited for the kiss, never taking my eyes from his but it never came. Instead I felt a pull as if my insides were being pulled out through my mouth and though it did not hurt I felt faint and slowly lost my grip on reality.

When I opened my eyes again it was to the most amazing sight in the world. Before me was the Celestial City teeming with angels dressed in white rushing about doing their business. This was so different to Canberra. There was no pushing and shoving, no dirt anywhere and best of all, no Aaron. I stared in total awe and then surprise as I realized my hand was still firmly in the grip of the man who had led me into that dark alley. I looked down at our joined hands and up again to meet his eyes. He smiled a cherubic smile, lighting up his eyes and deepening his dimples.
‘Welcome to Heaven Jay.’ He held our hands up before us and continued ‘We are as one now for eternity. I am Nicklaus and I will be your ever life partner. It is my job to atone for all the wrong you have suffered on Earth and make you happy.’
For the first time in a very long time I smiled with pure happiness and let Nicklaus lead me into the city of dreams. I was going to have an amazing future after all.



THE END
© Copyright 2015 sledtec (sledtec at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2032440-City-Angel