*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2033383-One-Small-Deed
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Inspirational · #2033383
A story on breaking out of your regular routine and doing something with your life.
A man meandered down the crowded sidewalk. It was one of the many that bordered the roads in the city. The man wore formal wear and a blank stare in his eye. Days at the office swamped him. He practically counted down the hours when he sat at his desk. Even though he hated his work, he knew that it made decent pay and many people would take his place in an instant.
In his eyes, he saw a blur. He was truly exhausted. He could barely keep himself moving forward. All he wanted to do was get home and lay in his large comfy armchair. He could feel himself sinking into the deep chair. This caused the man to smile. He had a sense of comfort in his own skin. Warmth now moved through him.
A loud car horn caused him to regain his senses. His eyes began to focus again and all of the colors now became sharp images. He looked around him to make sure he was still going the right way. He saw the sadness of reality around him. He saw the poverty of the many people who would not have a place to go and call home. These people were dirty. They were clothed in filthy clothes that have most likely never been washed. Their faces showed the expression of hopelessness.
The man’s heart was touched as he saw the many children who stood alongside these people. They looked so emotionless. Most of them stared at the ground, there wasn’t much better to do.
After his heart had been tugged for a few moments, he realized he needed to get home. He knew that it wasn’t his concern and that someone else would help them. He kept walking and soon arrived at his apartment.
As this man lay down, the thoughts were still trying to shove themselves into his mind. He would send them back after a few seconds. His conscience begged him to do something. He was a stubborn man though. Soon he forgot all about the thoughts that he had and drifted off to sleep.
The next morning had begun his daily routine. He began to brew some coffee and watch the news. It seemed that everything on the news was negative now. The steam of the coffee soon hit his nostrils and he poured himself a mug. It was almost time to be at the office, he quickly gulped the mug and set it in the sink. A pile of mugs sat in there.
The office job was normal. It was quiet and he got the occasional interruption from his secretary saying that someone had tried to reach him. He only picked up the important calls. To him, the rest were a waste of time.
The man decided to walk down to a nearby café and get a soup and a sandwich to settle his hunger. As he strolled down the street, he saw a familiar face. The previous evening he saw an older man with vivid blue eyes that were surrounded in dirt that was caked on his face. He had the same look in his eyes that he had the day before. His eyes showed desperation. He so badly wanted to have anything that this man had. He had so much. He had a nice job, nice clothes, and a place to call home from what he could tell.
© Copyright 2015 Eve Hartman (evelynhartman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2033383-One-Small-Deed