*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2033704-The-Old-Valentines-Day-Card
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #2033704
An old Valentine's Day card found in a box of memories helps rekindle a forgotten love.
         I knew when the phone rang it was my mother.  She was looking for the boxes of childhood photos and trinkets she kept somewhere in her attic.  She wanted them for the upcoming family reunion this summer and knew her favorite son would love to come visit her anyway.  A trip to her attic was in my near future.

         I was already rubbing the new lump on my head when she yelled to me to be careful and duck.  It seems like the space up here gets smaller as time goes on. My mother saved everything.  She always said that you may never be able go back to the past, but sometimes being reminded of it may open doors into the future.  I never knew what she meant.  I would soon.

         I found the boxes.  Finally.  I passed them down to my mother one by one.  She placed them on the kitchen table and asked if I wanted to go through them with her.  We went through every old picture, note and report card.  My mother saved everything.

         She opened the last box.  It was filled with things she collected during my high school years.  She dug through all the paper, pictures and yearbooks as if she was on a mission.  Her eyes lit up.  She pulled out what looked like a card.  A Valentine's Day card.  It was crumpled and worn.  She asked if I remembered it.  I did.

         My mother handed me the old card.  I thought I threw this away.  She must have found it and kept it.  My mother saved everything.





         She was my best friend.  The first kid I met when I walked through the doors on that first day of school.  We would be inseparable until we graduated from high school.  And then.....

         I still remember writing the words in that card.  It was the last year of high school.  We were all deciding what to do with the rest of our lives.  I had always loved her, but could never say it.  So I bought a card and wrote those unspoken words in it.  I planned to give it to her on the last Valentine's Day before graduation.  That card was never delivered.

         I still remember holding it in my hand.  I was so close.  I could have just given it to her.  But then she told me that she was leaving to go to college...with him.  He never loved her.  I remember all the late night phone calls after they argued.  All the nights when she cried on my shoulder after she saw him kissing another girl.  I will never regret being there for her.  I just wish she could have seen that he didn't deserve her.  He never did.

         When I got home, I sat down and looked at the card.  I read those words that her eyes would never see:

“Dear Valentine,

         Many men tell you how they get lost in your eyes.  When I look into your eyes, I find myself.  I see the man that I can become.  And I see the woman that will be standing beside me every step of that journey.  You.

         Many men will tell you how they need to kiss your lips.  I want those lips to tell me your dreams, so I can help you make them come true.  I want those lips to tell me your fears, so I can protect you from harm.  I want those lips to tell me you love me, which would be a gift from God himself.

         Many men will tell you how they want your heart.  Your heart is yours.
I just want that special place in it.  The place reserved for the one person that will love you forever.  In this life and beyond.  That person is me.

         Any man can say he loves you.  Those are just words.  Loving you is something I do every day.  Every step.  Every breath.  Every heartbeat.  I am loving you.”

         I crumpled up the card and threw it.  I laid on the bed and cried all night.  I didn't sleep.  It was my fault.  I lost the person I loved.  Forever.

         He was jealous of me.  He did everything to separate us.  We weren't even able to talk to each other anymore.  On the day of our high school graduation ceremony, another friend handed me a note.  It was from her.  It said:

         “You are my best friend.  I will always love you for that.  But I must walk a new path now.  Unfortunately I have to leave behind some of the things I love in order to do that.  I know you are going to have a wonderful life.  You deserve nothing but the best.  Goodbye.”

         I went to find her.  She was gone.  Forever.





         Not a day went by that I didn't think of her.  But life goes on.  I went to college.  Come back to my hometown and got a job.  I lived.  But I was always missing something.  Until.....

         I needed a few things.  I decided to stop at the little market on the way home. I normally go to the big supermarket across town, but I just wanted to get home.  This would be much quicker.  Milk.  Bread.  Double chocolate brownie ice cream.  You know, just the necessities.  I walked around one more time to make sure I didn't forget anything when.....

         “Hey stranger.”  I knew that voice.  “Still have a weakness for double chocolate brownie ice cream I see.”  I looked around.  It was her.

         She hadn't changed.  No.  She was even more beautiful.  She asked if the ice cream was for my wife or girlfriend.  I told her no, that I couldn't find anybody that would put up with me.  She was moving back into town, to start her life over again.  If I ever needed somebody to help eat that ice cream, I should let her know.  She was even willing to bring her own spoon.  She gave her a number where she can be reached.  She would be staying at her mother's place until she got settled.  I promised to call her soon.  When she left, I went back and bought every container of  double chocolate brownie ice cream they had.  I was going to need it.





         The restaurant was busy.  I still didn't consider this our first date.  Just two friends enjoying a meal and catching up after years of being apart.  She had left her husband.  Him.  He never changed.  He never would.  She came home to start over.  To find a new beginning.  She thought coming home to remind her of the past would open a door to a better future.  The Valentine's Day card!  Maybe my mother be right.

         I remember looking at the calendar.  February 14th.  She had been back home a couple of months now.  New job.  New home.  She was getting settled again.  We talked everyday.  Just like we done so many years ago.  Inseparable.  And I still loved her.  But those words had still gone unspoken.  Until.....





         I held that card in my hand once more.  Like I had done so many years before.  It did not look as pretty as it once did, but the meaning of the words inside were stronger than ever.

         I handed it to her, telling her the story of why I hadn't before.  I told her about the journey the card had taken.  How those words were almost lost forever.  How she almost never had the chance to read them.

         She read the card.  Tears formed in her eyes.  She always knew.  She was sorry.  She had all the love she needed.  And she left it behind.  But she was back now.  She loved me too.  And nothing was keeping her away from that love again.





         He couldn't believe this day had come.  The church was full.  His mother smiled at him from the front row.  She mouthed the words, “I told you didn't I?”  She was right.  Sometimes being reminded of the past, opens doors into the future.

         My bride was beautiful.  She was all I could see as she walked down the aisle and stood beside me.  I couldn't wait to spend the rest of my life with her.

         After the traditional wedding vows, the preacher gave us the chance to express our love to each other in our own words.  I read the old Valentine's Day card and told everybody the story behind it.  And then it was her turn.  She smiled, looking into my eyes, and said:

““My love,

         Many men have told me how they get lost in my eyes.  I'm glad you have found yourself when you look there.  I love the man that you have become.  And I want to be the woman that will be standing beside you for the rest of your life.

         Many men have told me how they need to kiss my lips.  They will only kiss one man.  These lips have told you my dreams.  I know you are the only man that can make them come true.  These lips have told you my fears.  I know you are the only man that can protect me from harm.  These lips have expressed my love for you.  They speak for my heart and soul.  I thank God I can speak those words to you everyday.

         Many men have told me how they want my heart.  My heart is yours.
All of it.  It is my gift to the one person that will love me forever.  In this life and beyond.  That person is you.

         Any man can say he loves me.  Those are just words.  Loving me is something you have done every day.  Every step.  Every breath.  Every heartbeat.  You have always loved me.”

         You are my best friend.  I will always love you for that.  I will be walking a new path now.  With you by my side.  We are going to have a wonderful life.  You deserve nothing but the best.  I love you.  Forever.”

         That old Valentine's Day card was passed down from generation to generation.  It was a symbol of undying love.  Of hope.  Of Faith.  A reminder that love is a precious gift.  To never let words of love go unspoken.  Never let that door close.  To love each other every day.  Every step.  Every breath.  Every heartbeat.  In this life and beyond.
© Copyright 2015 Whispers Of A Broken Angel (woaba at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2033704-The-Old-Valentines-Day-Card