*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2033995-Hymn-of-Steel
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2033995
Flash fiction, word prompt: "Don't look now".
Driven by the screams of the young Prince, Captain Arthan emerged into the bed chambers with sword drawn. Towering above the child stood the intruder, like a stone pillar topped with matted black hair and adorned in a frayed black cloak. A claimant of the bounty placed on the Prince.
Arthan was almost as quick heaving down his weapon as the assailant was in bringing up his own. The two steel contenders embraced in deadlock. Hatred flowed as each pressed his blade against the other. With gritty squeaks as the blades slowly scraped, each waited for the other to make the next move.
Arthan feinted a slip of the blade but quickly reversed, spun and sliced at the intruder's flank. Again the beast was ready and deflected.
The Prince watched a storm of glimmers as the moonlight bounced from the dancing blades. Resonating clangs sang a deadly hymn as both warriors rained heavy blows upon another.
The enemy's blade lunged forward and cold steel kissed Arthan's cheek narrowly missing a finishing blow. With composure unyielding Arthan seized this moment, stepped forward and his blade found its meaty target. The leather cloak gave initial resistance but Arthan leaned into it until he felt it give as the weapon slipped into flesh. Arthan turned the sword and felt muscles tighten through the grip as the blade skipped across bone. In a moment that spanned ages they gazed into each other's eyes, the fire raging in Arthan's but extinguishing in his assailant's. He pulled out, kicked his attacker to the floor and raised judgment above his head.
"Turn your head child," he said looking to the Prince's tear streaked face. "Don't look now."
The Prince pulled beddings over his eyes as Captain Arthan brought the sword down and ended the beast.

[298 words]


© Copyright 2015 Phoenixf2b (phoenixf2b at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2033995-Hymn-of-Steel