*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2036120-Paint-Me-a-Garden
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #2036120
Emily's first encounter with a wildflower garden reveals a life long passion
Paint Me a Garden





There had to be something interesting to do in this big, boring place besides trees, trees and more trees. Aunt Mildred didn't even have any kids for her to play with. It was her first time visiting this place, and already, six-year-old Emily Thomson could not wait to go back to the noise and busy-ness of the city. She knew it would be a while, however, before her parents were ready to leave Aunt Mildred. After finally escaping their watchful eyes, she stood outside the front door and took another look at the landscape. The sky seemed to stretch out forever.



She spotted a stone wall a short distance ahead and began tracing it with her fingertips as she walked. The minutes ticked by as she walked and hummed, lost in her thoughts. Suddenly, her left arm was touching only air where the wall had been. She looked up and saw two white sculptures of children on either side of the wall and a little white gate in between. Then her eyes met with the sight before her.



In that moment, Emily did not care that there would be dirt and grass stains on her favourite white chiffon dress with its ivory belt. She no longer thought that her Gold Label Barbie Doll collection was the most precious thing in the whole world. Her insides began to tingle with anticipation, a perfect storm already in brew.



She wondered how fast her little legs could carry her and how high she could lift her arms if she were to run through the greenery, barefoot and free. She imagined curling her toes up and down to feel the soft earth squishing beneath her. Never had she seen so many greens and oranges and blues and yellows all in one place before. They grew wild and loud, in between and around the tall grass. Yet in all its raw nature, there were trimmed grass paths winding all through the wildflower garden. The colours seemed to swirl into magical formulas and shapes and sizes.



Time was instantly precious and Emily was determined not to waste one more second. She threw herself, body first, into the canvas and let her instincts take over. A gust of wind brushed through the meadow pushing the petals and stems and blades to dance along with her. She could almost hear their breath rise and fall in tune with her own, teaching her a language she already knew. She returned their greetings and caressed their blossoms.



Then she saw a big oak tree at the far end of the garden. It seemed to grow bigger and bigger the closer she got. By the time she was standing in front of it, it was bigger than the building she lived in back at home. Its thick trunk and long branches made it look like a big yellowish-green umbrella. Emily stepped forward and slowly placed her palm on the trunk. She drew in a deep breath and every cell in her body relaxed. Smiling to herself and the old tree, she sat down on the grass and leaned her back against the trunk.



Only one thought came to mind as drifted off to sleep.  Her seventh birthday was coming up in a few weeks. She had already hinted that she wanted the new Platinum Label Barbie Doll collection. The desire for dolls was now a distant memory. A new path blazed hot and bright in front of her, with new desires.



A canvas...and paint. Lots and lots of paint.



         





Word Count: 592



© Copyright 2015 Bee's Hive (beeshive at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2036120-Paint-Me-a-Garden