*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2036280-Dragon-Tamer-chapter-three
Rated: E · Other · Action/Adventure · #2036280
Bracken meets a friend and starts to master his powers slightly.
I first met Frost during a rather cold night on the mountainside, when snow fell in blurring sheets of white and muffled every sound that nature made, so it made you feel like you sat inside a great cocoon of silence. I had a fire going in the cave I had sheltered in for the night, and it was warm enough, but still rather chilly.

I hunched down by the fire, watching the snow with a feeling of sadness. I used to love the first snowfall on Telhon, watching the dragons cavort in the falling flakes. But now I was alone. Or so I thought.

A slight coughing sound behind me scared me half to death, making me whirl and fall onto my back in surprise. A laugh floated out of the darkness. In my haste to get out of the snow, I had failed to check and make sure that the cave wasn't occupied. And it had been. “I won't bite, I promise,” said a husky voice from the darkness, and another laugh, then a hacking cough. I picked up a branch from the fire, gripping it at the unburned end, and swung it towards the voice. A pale hand sheltered an equally pale face, and that was all I could see for a moment. Then the hand lowered, exposing a pair of white-blue eyes, fringed with the longest black lashes I've ever seen on another human being. Another cough, and the stranger edged forwards. “Hello. Can you speak?” It was a young man, a few years older then me, which I wasn't expecting. “Uh, yeah, I can speak. Who are you?” He coughed again, and then waved a hand in my direction. “That doesn't matter, but I know you. You fought the dragon on the icebed outside of Aliskman, didn't you?” I shook my head. “How did you know that?”

“We do get news out here, but in this instance, Neo told me.”

“Yup yup yup! I telly him!” a chirpy voice intruded, and the owner soon appeared. It looked like a tiny white dragon, with legs that resembled a kangaroos and longish arms that ended in slender claws. Tiny feathered white wings flapped on his back, but the most startling thing about him was his face. Indeed, it looked like a gecko face, with the scaly snout and big eyes. I gaped, and the young man laughed, which devolved into another bout of coughing. Neo clapped him on the back. “He cough lots, not feel good.” I nodded. “I can see that. Come and sit by the fire.....,” I trailed off, not knowing his name. He moved closer to the fire, nodding thankfully. “Frost Lune, and your name?”

“Bracken Mort.” He grimaced. “Mort? Doesn't sound so frightening.” I chuckled and crouched on the other side of the fire. “I know. I usually just give my first name.” He nodded sagely. “I guess that's better.” I studied him curiously.

He was slender and wiry, but with broad shoulders and long legs. A thin band of gold circled one of his fingers, and he rubbed it once in awhile when he thought no one was watching. He was clad in brown leather, with a white fur cloak slung around his shoulders. But currently he wasn't as impressing as he would be at full strength, his lips were purple and his skin snow white. “How long have you been sick?” I asked. “Ever since I left my village. About a month.” Neo hopped onto Frost's shoulder, being small enough to fit on it. He was only about the size of a cat, come to think of it. “I been with him a week, yup yup.” I grinned. “Any family?” Neo shook his head. “He no tell me. I thinky he got wife, maybe.” Frost coughed to cover a laugh, and flushed. “Yes, I'm married. Neo, you went through my pack.” Neo chortled, rocking back and forth. “Yes, me did!” He looked pleased with himself, and that made me laugh out loud. “He's a odd one. What's he called?”

“He's a species called snowkit. Never heard about them before he came along and attached himself to me.” Frost was looking better, and shoved his long white hair from his face as he spoke. Everything about this stranger was white. Neo patted his face with a tiny paw. “You feel better now, yeah? Not so white. Me thinky he die a few times during night-dark.” His odd way of speech made both me and Frost laugh a few times during the ensuing night, which we spent crouched around the fire. I fell asleep as the sun was rising, oddly enough, and woke when Frost slid into the cave with a muffled exclamation. He had shed his cloak, which was spread over a sleeping Neo, and was clad in only his leather leggings and boots. His jacket and shirt were thrown over one shoulder, and he looked really upset. I sat up. “Frost? What's going on?”

“I'm in real trouble,” he said quietly, pulling on his shirt, but not before I got a look at the map of scars on his skin.

I rose and peered out of the cave, instantly spotting the crimson figures on the hill across from us. “Who are they?” I asked, narrowing my eyes. Due to my dragon-made marks, I could see better then normal humans, and was able to see the bloodthirsty look on their faces. And one of them was a woman. I gaped for a moment, and Frost caught my look as he woke Neo. “What is it?” he asked, coming to stand by me. “There's a woman with them....,” I said disbelievingly. His reaction to the news wasn't the horrified silence I'd expected. Instead, his face lit up. “What does she look like? And how can you see them so clearly?” I answered his first question in order to avoid the second. “Long black hair, looks like she's about 18, blood red markings on her face and arms, wearing all black, with knives all over.” He clapped his hands in glee, and swooped his cloak on. “She came!” He ran out of the cave before I could stop him, Neo hopping happily after. I swung my jacket on, doused the fire with a quick scoop of dirt, and grabbed my pack as I went after him. He was sneaking along the bottom of the hill that they were coming down, and Neo was being rather quiet, at least, for him that is. I hurried over, and gripped Frost's shoulder. “What are you doing?” I hissed at him. “Trying to get my wife back, you dolt,” he hissed back in equally low tones. The woman glanced towards us sharply, hair swirling in the wind. Frost waved slightly, and she smiled, then quickly deadpanned as one of the men she was with said something. Having nothing else to do at the moment, I went along with Frost's harebrained idea of getting his beloved wife back. He relayed his story to me in bits and pieces as we went along.

He was the elder son of a certain well respected warrior, who had died a few years ago without his son ever seeing him. His mother had died as well, although only this past month. He had married his wife, whose name was Syrina, and then found out that she was the daughter of a cult leader, and had been harmed in her youth by the cult leaders. In trying to get her away from her father and his friends, they tried to flee north, but he followed, and kidnapped her from their camp one night. Frost had been wandering aimlessly since then, not knowing where they had taken his wife. He was ready to die of the cold and starvation when Neo found him, and after Neo had helped him recover from the starvation (how, I don't know, and I don't think I want too...) they found me in the cave.

At that point, the group we were shadowing had stopped under an overhanging cave for awhile, to rest, I think. Syrina wanted to go down to the stream to get a drink, and they let her. Frost stole forwards, and talked to her in a low voice from the bushes. I stayed behind and kept an eye on Neo, who was talking quietly to a rock he held in his paws. That creature was odd.......And that wasn't the last time I'll say that! Frost reappeared by my side. “We're sneaking her out tonight,” he said, then grabbed Neo by the scruff of the neck and hauled him out with him. We found a cave and settled down to wait. Our cave faced theirs, so if they left one of us would see them. Now, as I thought over it, I realized how strange this had all turned out. I met a stranger, and, in one night, was involved in rescuing his kidnapped bride! I wasn't feeling particularly bright at the moment, now that I thought about it, but oh well! I glanced across at my companions. Neo had crawled into Frost's cloak and was asleep, and Frost was dozing as well. A shout sounded from outside, and I perked up to listen. Someone came running into their camp, making a lot of noise. Frost sat up, wondering what the noise was as well. Neo hopped up and went out, blending into the snow. He was back within a few minutes. “They say dragon come backy last night, kill lots.” I gaped. “I knew I should have killed him when I had the chance. Did they name the survivors?” Neo shook his head. “Nopey.” Frost glanced at me. “Dragon? Shoulda killed? What?” I tugged down my collar, letting him see the marks, then pulled it back up. He gaped, then rubbed his forehead. “You're dragon-made?” I shrugged. “A dragon gave me these, so I guess.” Neo returned to his rock, ignoring the conversation. Frost threaded his fingers through his hair. “This changes everything.” He was muttering now, and I couldn't hear him, so I settled in to wait. I woke with a startled yelp, as my marks had started burning unbearably. Frost started up, rubbing sleep from his eyes. “What's going on?”

“Something or someone is coming for us.” I scrambled up and slung on my cloak, and Frost followed my actions. Neo woke and rubbed his eyes, then watched. I peeked out of the cave and hissed. “They've got a dragon with them!” Frost eased in by me, and watched for a moment. “I know her. I think.” I glanced at him. “You know dragons?” He shrugged. “I kinda grew up with them. My parents weren't really home much, so I lived with the dragons in the caves.” I stored this away for the moment, much more concerned with what was going on then his life story.

A large crimson and black dragon landed by their cave, folding it's huge wings as it landed. My marks flared up again, and the dragon's head swung over to look at us. It bowed it's head, then came over. Frost hissed angrily and ducked below the cave's lip to hide. I stood up and held out a palm calmly. The other group had grouped at the mouth of their cave, and were watching. Syrina took this chance to break free and run towards us. The dragon swung around to stop her, but I shouted, and he turned back to me. A she, I realized too late, judging by the slender build and shape. Frost leapt up and received Syrina into his arms, dodging back into the cave. The dragon halted and lowered her head, snuffling quietly. “You have the scent of a dragon-kind about you,” she said softly. Her voice echoed, like multiple voices where speaking with her. “I received my marks from a dragon, yes.” I exposed the marks, getting tired of pulling on the collar of my shirt. Her eyes widened. “Blue?” I shrugged. “What's that mean?”

“It means that you have been given the highest honor any dragon can bestow.” I thought back to Imarx, wondering if he knew. He probably did. “What's your name?” I asked, stepping forwards slowly. “I am called Sherjay.” I nodded, the odd name fitted her.

She was a slender dragon, with black and red scales patterned in swirls across her body. She had a crest right behind her head, which was a shimmery gold. Her eyes were the size of a orange, and were a swirl of black, gold, and red. She was the most exotic dragon I had seen yet. Little did I know we were soon going to be bonded in the most unexpected way. The group in the cave came forwards, obviously wanting their dragon back. “Who are you, that you can speak to dragons?” asked one man, pulling his hood back. White hair spilled out, but he didn't look a day over 25. He had the red markings on his face like Syrina had, but they were less predominant. “Can't all people understand them?” I asked, reaching out a hand to rub Sherjay's muzzle. She hummed in response, folding her claws under herself. Frost and Syrina ventured out, keeping an eye on the dragon. “When dragons speak, most people hear a terrible roaring and noise,” Frost said, keeping his eye on Sherjay as he kept an arm around his wife. Neo, on the other hand, had no fear of the dragon. He climbed up onto her spikes, chattering happily. I was stunned that not everyone could understand dragons. “Really?” I asked, rubbing my forehead. This was a lot more complicated then I thought. I saw the white haired man's eyes narrow as he watched Syrina and Frost.

Sherjay rose, nosing at my side. A scale scrapped my scars, and I hissed. The pain caused the marks to flare, beating painfully against my skin. Whenever they appeared, lately, it felt like something pressing on my skin. It was weird. “We want her back. Her father needs her,” spoke up the man, gesturing to the couple. Sherjay narrowed her eyes. “That one's called Spike. He's the leader, her brother, I think, or some relation.” I nodded thoughtfully. I could tell by the way the others looked at me that she had spoken in another dragon language. Something prickled the back of my mind, warning me. I vaguely remembered his name. It was a common name, sure enough, but something warned me..... I glanced at Frost, and he nodded ever so slightly. Something was off about their story. He tightened his grip on Syrina, who started. It was the start that ruined it all and resulted in what happened next.

Spike noticed, and withdrew a sword. I was shocked at the appearance of the sword. It was black, with reddish edges that shimmered in the light. Sherjay rose up on her hind feet, and exposed her fangs in a quiet growl. Then it started. Spike leapt for Syrina, Frost whirled as he pulled her away, I lunged for Spike, and Sherjay confronted the others in the group. I slammed into Spike, taking him down on his side. Syrina was out of sight, and Frost was as well. I wished them well, wherever they had gone. My thoughts had wandered, which allowed Spike to get back up and charge me. I extended Bane and met his headlong charge, only this time, Bane was the size of a full sword. I grinned, and went on the offensive. Battering Spike back into the cave, I noticed a small roll of white fur on the floor. Neo. I picked him up and he uncurled, perching on my shoulder as I headed back out quickly. Sherjay had scared the men back to their cave, and now allowed me to climb onto her back. I laced my fingers through her crest, and she took off.

Cold, crisp air and snow raced past my face, and I shouted in glee. Neo huddled on my shoulder, not as exhilarated as I was. Sherjay roared in response, then went into a spiraling dive. We landed, and a pair of figures detached from the white. Frost clapped me on the back as I slid down. “You didn't think we'd leave, now?” he asked, grinning. Syrina approached, watching my face hesitantly. “I thank you for my rescue, dragon tamer,” she said softly. I had a chance to examine her now, since before I had only seen her at a distance. Her hair was long and black, her eyes a clear, vivid green with flecks of gold. She had a lithe build, and wore black leather, which offset the red tribal tattoos on her arms and neck. She presented a darker picture then the white Frost did, but she complimented him. Neo stayed perched on Sherjay's shoulder, chattering again. She answered in soft growls, which I took to be laughter.

My marks zinged in pain, and I gasped softly, putting a hand up to them. “You need to rest,” Syrina said quickly. I glanced at her, rubbing my throat distractedly. “How do you know?” I asked. “My clan studied many other tribes. The Dragon Speakers were always a favorite of mine. Not many people had marks like yours, which have been given freely by a dragon. But the few who did described how they worked very well.” I blinked, then glanced at Frost, who shrugged and went to find somewhere for us to sleep.

During the next few weeks, as we traveled, Syrina taught me all she knew about the marks. I was soon able to read them better then her, Sherjay tossing in little known facts here and there, as only a dragon can. She had stuck around as well, feeling a need to protect the possibly last dragon-kind in these parts. I hadn't told Frost or Syrina about my quest, I hadn't even told them my life story. They seemed fine with it. But the longer it took to find Shadow, the more my depression grew. I snapped more easily at Syrina and Frost, even Sherjay. My marks burned more, even hotter then ever at night.

I spent most nights biting my lip to a shred in the pain, not wanting to annoy the others in camp with moans of pain. Often I would sneak away, and moan and cry into the night. Sherjay found me one night, my cries echoing on the valley walls. We had camped near a valley that night, and I had snuck off, as usual. She nosed my shoulder and I toppled over. The marks must have been glowing, or doing something odd, because she fetched Syrina. When she saw me, she gasped. “Why didn't you say something?” she asked, helping me to sit up. Frost watched in the background, stroking Neo's head. He had a concerned look on his face, more worried, come to think of it. Syrina touched my face gently, and a searing pain shot through me. “They're struggling between red and blue. Something happened to the dragon who gave them to you, or one of the dragons you've come in contact with. Did any other dragon touch you, or spill blood on you?” My mind flashed back to my fight with Teal. “I fought a dragon, and blood spilled on my hand. I didn't think any of it at the time.” Another pang shot through me, and I doubled over, dry heaving. Syrina stood and spoke to Sherjay, who took off. Syrina and Frost helped me up, taking me back to the camp. I spent that night in unbearable pain, moaning and shrieking. Sherjay returned in the morning, and sanity did as well. I was sitting up and drinking a little water, favoring my bloodied lip, when she landed. “Nothing is wrong with the old one. He is healthy and safe.” She settled her wings. I looked up. “You saw Imarx?” I asked, speaking slowly. She nodded. “I couldn't take you, little one. You were much too ill. I spoke to him about your problem as well. He said that the blood of another dragon would react like this.” She hesitated. “But I touched his blood nearly a month ago, and it just now hit me.” Sherjay shifted. “He did say what else may cause it....” I stood, gripping onto Frost's shoulder to steady me. My other arm I clasped across my stomach to staunch the sudden pain. “What did he say, Sherjay?” I asked sharply. She glanced at me, then at Syrina, who looked as mystified as I felt. “He said that they would act up....when...when you got closer to Shadow.” I hissed, and so did Frost, though we hissed for different reasons. Mine was because I was close to Shadow, Frost's was because I gripped his shoulder harder then need be. “Your marks react to each dragon's pulse differently. He didn't have time to explain it all to me, but they flare and fade according to which dragon is near. Since Shadow is so evil and twisted, the marks can't figure out what to make of him, and that's what's causing the pain.” Syrina eased my fingers out of her husband's shoulder. “Easy, Bracken.” A pang shot down my face, the marks burned. Frost stepped back. “They're red and glowing, Bracken.” A thud shook the ground, then another. A pained roar shook around us, and then a red light hit us as well. Syrina screamed, and ducked under Sherjay's belly. Frost grabbed me and followed her, Neo following at a run. Sherjay hummed quickly, and the dragon went right over us without seeing us. I peeked out, catching a glimpse of wide gold and red wings. After a few minutes, he was gone into the distance. My marks tingled and burned, but didn't flare up anymore. After that incident, we went further into the cold lands, where dragons don't normally go. Since they're fire breathing creatures, any cold thing is abhorrent to them. This was when Sherjay took her leave, but she always stayed just on the border of the ice pad in case we needed her.

Nothing happened for a few days, and we began to feel like normal young people again, out for adventures. But my marks where always there, my promise to kill Shadow was always in the back of our minds as well. Stories began to spread about what had happened on Telhon, people said that a wraith was wandering the world in search of Shadow, to take him down. Others said that the tamer's had left a son, who was an albino in a cave somewhere. We did nothing to stop these rumors, in fact, we often encouraged them.

It was surprising how many people lived on the gigantic ice pads that slide around on the slick mined marble in the North. Long ago, glaciers slid across this part of the country, revealing a thick vein of marble. Men and women started mining it, thinking to make fortunes. But the vein widened, and became the miles wide land we know today. The miners left, despairing of ever getting everything mined. Ice crept up, creating slick pads that people learned to build upon and live on. And it was through these that we crept, listening, talking, gathering information, and generally making ourselves as little seen as possible. Neo now spent most of his time in Frost's hood, since people there didn't take to snowkits like we did.

After awhile we left the towns, and Sherjay rejoined us. It seems like we did a lot of needless rambling in the following months, but we were avoiding Shadow. They knew and I knew that I wasn't strong enough to take him on yet. And so eventually, we found ourselves back at Telhon. Frost halted on the lower slope of the mountain and looked at me. “You want to go up?” I shrugged. “Maybe Imarx has answers to some of my questions.” He nodded slowly, and so up we went. Later that day I stood among the ruins of my old house, wondering at how much I had grown since then, both bodily and mentally. A loud thud sounded, and Imarx landed in the ruins. “I am glad to see you, Bracken. How goes the quest?” I snorted and rubbed my throat. “Not well, since we're back here already.” He wrinkled his muzzle. “Already? You have been gone for more then three months.” I blinked. “Say wha?” Frost stepped over, being careful among the tippy timbers. “Our time goes differently then theirs. What we see as a few weeks is actually months to them. Time moves slower.” Syrina made her way over, holding Neo in her hands. “Oh, looky! Sharpy tooth! Much death, much past.” he exclaimed. I glanced at him as Imarx coughed low in his throat. “Let's go back to the cave and talk this over.” Sherjay was already resting there, having flown nonstop to let him know we were coming. Dusk and Rin were hanging around outside the cave. Rin had grown in the time we had been away. I rubbed her muzzle tiredly as I passed, and she hummed. Sherjay lifted her head, and snorted softly as I sat by her head. Imarx and the others gathered in the cave, which looked exactly as I remembered it. And then Imarx spoiled the peace by dropping a bombshell. "Shadow's been heard from, Bracken. He's looking for you, and he's on his way here."

© Copyright 2015 Marvel99 (marvel99 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2036280-Dragon-Tamer-chapter-three