*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2036706-Not-Forever
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #2036706
Setting out on a journey he never wanted, Justin finds everything unexpected, such as hope
In the heat of the day, the brook ran smooth and quiet, a soft whisper running across the land. For a minute I let it slide around and past my fingers, before bringing my hand to my lips.

The sun was warm and my journey had taken me miles from home. My body ached for rest, but my mind would not allow it: I needed to keep moving; time was short and the sooner my task was finished, the better.
After my drink I filled my canteen and then, wetting my face to remove the heat from it, I stood and gazed from one direction to the other: to the South were the mountains; a challenge for any who would call to them. To the East, was the river Mirandir and on it, the ferry that beckoned from it.
Beyond that was the Megara Forest and in there the Forester Kingdom: it was there that my fate resided.
Greatly untouched, and with a King who was said to rule with an 'iron scepter,' the foresters were a quiet people, but with a daring outlook. They largely kept to themselves, with few ever leaving their homeland. Other than whispers and rumours, not much was known about them. Though none had seen the King, it was rumoured that he was as hard and bitter man, with no compassion and a heavy hand: none dared to challenge him, lest they be killed.
There was nothing pleasant about my journey, nor the cause for it, but what must be done, must be.My mind was made up: there was no going back-not until I finished what I had set out to do.The ground was uneven beneath my feet, the path muddy from the early morning rains, with clouds further out, promising more.

All of it only quickened my pace.

In an hour's time my feet touched the port just as the ferry was sailing to dock. Just ahead were two companions, their grey cloaks ranking them as Foresters. Very rarely were they seen outside their kingdom and from where I lived, not a single one of them had ever touched foot in my village. They spoke in low tones, voices hushed and, judging from their hand gestures and stance, their topic was grave.
Their voices silenced completely when the porter came, collecting coin, before boarding the ferry.
I gave the porter his coin quickly, not wanting to be spoken to, however, it was not to be:
"You're a Kamian" he said bluntly, pointing out my race, "and a daring one at that, to be going to the Forester kingdom!"
"May I board?" I asked, trying to be as polite as I could, when aggravation was rising in me.
"Aye, aye" he said, seeing my ire and taking a step away so I could pass him. "I mean no harm."
Irritated, I boarded, it wouldn't have surprised me if the forester's heard him. However, if they had, they gave no indication as the two sat in the far corner, continuing their conversation. I walked to the other side, wishing to blend in with the room so I would not be noticed. Were it nicer out, I would have gladly stood on the deck, but the wind had picked up and clouds had completely blocked out the sun.
After a few moments, the ferry began to move with a jolt to start the course.
My mind soon began to wander: did Terrence also ride this ferry several days ago? His company wouldn't have been much different than mine, except that his presence most certainly would have been noticed-by his guards! Did he receive much protection from the weather? Was he cared for? Were there any Kamians with him now?
In the wake of so many questions, my emotions began to rise and stir within me. That of anger and frustration; sorrow and helplessness swirled at once at the situation: I shouldn't be on this journey and he should not have left!
The whirls of the engine suddenly stopped and this time it was only a slight jolt that came, breaking my thoughts and signaling the end of the trip. Without warning, my eyes met that of a forester-his grey eyes framed by brown strands of hair-before flickering away as he and his friend exited the ferry. It had only been a second, but the sudden contact had left me blinking in uncertainty, for in his eyes I saw not hardness or judgement, but life and hope.

How could such a thing be, if the people were ruled by fear?

Pushing the thought and emotion away, I stood and stepped off the ferry. Before me, only a few feet away, stood the Magara forest. Grey light reflected off the green leaves of the trees, while the smell of damp, but fresh, air filled my nostrils.
Ahead of me the Foresters re-entered their homeland, their voices louder now that they were out in the open and away, or so they thought, from listening ears.
However, there was no curiosity in me for their conversation while my mind resumed his relentless focus on my task. But here I stood, about to enter a land that was forbidden to my people-a place we had been warned never to enter, and for the first time on my journey, I felt hesitant.
It wasn't fear, because my determination blocked that, nor was it the possible danger that I would face, because I was accustomed to that. The hesitancy came because I was about to enter a place I had promised myself that I would never enter. In the end, was I really prepared? Truthfully, was what I doing right-shouldn't some else, with more experience in these areas, have come?
So it was, that I stood there, hesitant, until I felt the first drop of rain on my head. Looking up, I broke out of my reverie: dark clouds hung above me, ready to burst.
'This is it' I thought, "now or never-I have to enter the Forester kingdom!'
With a deep breath, I placed one foot in front of the other and made my way to the treeline, drops of water following my steps before completely surrounding me just as I reached the trees.
There was nothing unique about the forest, as I peered further in. If anything, it seemed like any other, which comforted me, as I walked further in.
"Halt!" a deep voice suddenly called, accent clear in his letters. A man appeared and stood before me, coming out, seemingly, from nowhere. He wore a sword at his side, with a brown robe around his shoulders to blend in with the trees. I could see no armour on him, but there was no doubt on me that he had some form of protection beneath his robe.
"State your name and business, stranger" the guard said.
"My name and business are my own" I replied boldly. "Why do you need it?"
"Only visitors with a King's pass, or actual citizens of this kingdom, may enter" he replied, "If you do not have that, you cannot enter."
"That's absurd!" I replied, "I have travelled far and must see the King!"
:I'm sorry, that is the law" he replied, his tone softening somewhat.
"He's with us!" a voice called out from the distance. Both guard and I looked down the path to see the two men that had travelled with me on the fairy. It was the grey-eyed man that spoke. Both guard and myself showed some confusion.
"Let her pass, please" he said, and flicked a card for the guard to see.
"If he is with you, then why wasn't it stated?" the guard stated gruffly.
"I thought he was right behind us" he continued, side-stepping the question, "please, let him through. I'll keep him close."
The guard frowned, but moved aside.
"Thank you" the man said with a smile, as I walked pass, confused and slightly dazed. We walked for a few minutes in silence, until I was sure he were at least far enough so we shouldn't be heard:
"Who are you?" I asked quietly, "and why did you help me?"
"I am Christopher" he replied, his voice deep and rich, "and this is my friend Rotham. We are pilgrims."
"Pilgrims?" I repeated, never hearing of Forester pilgrims in my life. There appeared to be many things that I was learning in a single day.
"Yes, we travel to many lands. On one of our paths we heard about the arrest of a Kamian who was trying to bring a riot against the King. We came to learn more about it ourselves and see the outcome. You are a Kamian, so I imagine you are connected to this one?
'So I thought it only right to let you pass" he explained without pause.
It appeared he wasn't looking for information, nor was I willing to share it.
"Thank you" I said simply.
"By the sound of it, you are going to Castletown. In fact so are we so we can guide you there" Rotham interjected. "It's no good for a Kamian to travel alone without a pass."
A feeling of uneasiness nbegan to fill me-they were willing to help without even the slightly knowledge as to who I am!
"His name is Terrence" I said, "he is my cousin, guilty for a crime he did not comitt. I am going to meet the King to argue his freedom."
"You're sure he's innocent?" Christopher asked.
"Yes!" I replied defensively, "there is no way that he could do such a thing as start a rebellion. He's only fourteen!"
"I mean no disrespect" Rotham said, "but children younger than that have committed great crimes in the past."
"I tell you he's innocent! There's been a misunderstanding and I mean to prove it!"
"Then calm yourself" Christopher soothed, "for our King is merciful and just and if your cousin is innocent, then the King will know."
I wanted to argue with him; to say that the King was rumoured to be anything but merciful or just-outside, he wasn't known to display justice, but in that moment my heart was crying for I did not know how I was going to prove that Terrence was innocent.
~
The forest was alive-it took a few moment to get out of my sorrow to realize it, but when I did, it was unmistakable.
The further we went the richer the green seemed to be in the leves, which seemed to hum with vibrancy, while the trees, which the leaves were perched on, seemed to breath of their own accord. It wouldn't have surprised me if they began to move. The ground on which I walked, told a story of its own, of travellers journey's and days passed, and the very air seemed to sing and whistle, moving to the sound of the rain; pattering on the tree-tops. Hardly a drop fell on me, the trees were so close together; their branches long and leaves thick.
Birds of all sizes and colors perched among the branches, singing a little tune, bathing in the rain. Indeed the forest itself hummed with them, thankful for a rest from the heat.
Now I realized that in no way was the forest like any other.
If there were people around, they kept to themselves, though I was sure every now and then I hearfd a voice call in the distance, a twig snap, a flutter of movement somewhere near by. Keeping pace with me, Christopher and Rotham walked silently; making a few comments now and then to myself or to each other, and several times I caught a few sideline glances, as if I was as curiosity.
Perhaps I was.
A creak sounded above my head and then a holler. I looked up to see a child running along a wooden bridge that connected a few trees. It was then that I noticed the tree huts: high above the ground and further into the trees, they blended in well with the trees themselves.
"Aha!" Christopher exclaimed, "We've been spotted by the tree toppers!"
"Tree-toppers?" I thought, slightly amused by the name. Another child shouted and began following the first, who was making his way down to us.
"You're back!" the little boy exclaimed to Rotham, running into his open arms.
"I am" he said chuckling as he gave the boy a hug.
The girl following stopped a few feet away, big eyes staring at e. But I was a hint of awe and curiosity there, not fear.
"It's okay" Christopher soothed, "she's a friend"
He girl took a step towards me;
"She looks different" the boy commented unashamedly, causing a light smile to touch my lips.
"As do you" I replied.
"He is not from this land" Rotham explained, "he's visiting"
"Susie! Trent!" a woman called above us.
"It's okay mom!" Trent yelled up at her. "Christopher and Rotham are here-and they brought a friend!"
The woman looked down at us, seeming slightly perplexed.
"Its okay Miriam" Rotham echoed Christopher's words. Then he spoke in a language I had never heard before, the sound light and musical, but with a slight depth on some of the letters.
"Come up here!" she said after he finished. A grin came to the children's lips and, unexpectedly, Susie took my hand to lead me up.
Not sure whether to feel chagrined or excited, I followed the small group to a rope ladder, hanging on the back of one of the nearby trees. Even the rope seemed different; the texture soft but firm and each rung steady and it was attached from the thickness of the branch above. Nimbly the children climbed, as if it was second nature whereas it took me several paused to steady myself.
From the top of the trees, the view was splendid, there seemed to be a variety of green then from the ground below.
The woman met us and took each of her children's in hand, like a mother hen collecting her chicks. She met each of the men with a smile and then turned her attention to me. Just like her children, she looked at me with wonder, not fear.
"You are a Kamian" she more stated them asked. I nodded. "The boy was your friend?" she asked referring to my cousin.
"He is my cousin" I said. Do all the Foresters know about him?
It was her time to nod and then she looked at my companions, "you will eat with us tonight. " her voice heard, she then turned, as if the decision was decided for us, and walked back to her hut.
"I can't" I said, though only loud enough for Christopher to hear. He looked at me, amazement showing on his face.
"I need to get to the Castle!" I added, "My time is short. Thankyou-"
"-You must come!" he interrupted, "this will be good for you. We will get to your cousin in time. Trust me. Please, join us!"
Aghast, I stared at him, my mind reeling. Nothing could have prepared me for this. Somehow, he must have seen a decision made in my eyes because he then gave me a light smile and began walking again, "come" he said, "you will enjoy this. You'll see!"
After another hesitant moment, I decided to follow, if I felt uncomfortable, I'd leave. At least, that is what I told myself.
The wooded home was more spacious then it looked from the outside, as well as comfortable. The floor was covered in a lush rug, intricately woven and clearly handmade.
A large circular room enveloped me as I walked in, with a round though small, table and with small legs so that it wasn't quite on the floor, though close to it. Around it were grass mats to sit on so you wouldn't have to eat on a bare floor. On the right wall were more cushion s and grass mats for people to sit comfortably on. It was here that we were motioned to sit.
From where I sat, I notived a doorway that led to anbother room, its entrach covered with ribbons of green.
"Your home is very...comfortable" I offered, not sure of what to say.
"Thank you" she relied, "my name is Miranda. You are...?"
"Justin" I replied.
"Justin" she repeated, trying the name, "it is good to meet you. Very few of your kind come here...few indeed! It is a shame. I'm glad you are here. I will cook you a good meal!"
Then, with that she padded away and disappeared into the back room.
"What is your home like?" Trent asked me, sitting in front of me, eyes eagerly waitin for an answer.
"Different" I replied, never had I been asked to describe my home.
I thought about it for a moment, "many of us live nestled into the mountain sides-our homes are clustered together and connected through tunnels inside the mountain to make our villages.
'We are a people who keep to themselves, we're are very cautious of strangers but try to be friendly."
"So you live in a mountain?" the boy asked in awe.
"In the side of one" I answered gently.
"Their homes are all joined, and they are well protected in the mountain." Jotham added for me.
"So you don't have to go outside?" Trent asked.
"We do for the homes that aren't connected to the back tunnels" I couldn't help but chuckle at his amazement.
"But to not go outside! Think of it Susie!" Trent exclaimed to his sister.
"It sounds dark" she replied, she didn't seem as amazed by it all as her brother.
"I think it sounds cool" he answered, "but I couldn't live like that for so long. I need the sun, and fresh air...and the trees and to hear the birds...actually, maybe I couldn't live like that at all....!"
At this point we were all smiling and chuckling as he thought through it.
"It isn't all dark" I said amiably, "we have some windows in our front rooms and on our front doors-so we can peer outside and see the strangers!" I added with a wink.
"There's a front door?" he asked, sounding confused.
"Yes a front door leading outside and a back door leading to the tunnels which connects our neighbours to us."
"Oh" he said and thought about it some more, "well, it would be neat to see."
"That it is" Rotham agreed and tousled his hair.
At that moment the front door swung open and a big, burly man stepped in. He had a beard as red as I had ever seen and brown eyes that reflected the sunlight streaming in.
"Papa!" Susie and Trent exclaimed excitedly and jumped up to greet him. He chuckled and swept them into his arms. Then he came over and greeted Rotham and Christopher, before turning his attention to me.
"Whose this?" he asked, a gleam in his eye.
"Justin" I replied, standing in respect.
"Well Justin, you are most welcome in my home! I am Brandon. I take it you are staying for dinner?"
I nodded, once again amazed at the warmth of these people.
"Well then, I will go clean up and I look forward to talking with you."
"It shall be an interesting dinner" Christopher commented with a twinkle in his eye.
"It will" I muttered to myself, watching Brandon disappear into the other room.
~
It wasn't long after, when Miranda bustled in, carrying a platter of vegetables in one hand and water jug in the other. She called the children to help and soon there was activity all around. Quickly Miranda refused any other help offered saying 'it won't be long now' and, indeed it wasn't as Brandon soon came in carrying a platter of meat.
The table was thus arrayed with food and cutlery and there was only for us to sit and enjoy which we did quite eagerly.
"Can I ask where you cook it all?" I asked staring at the meat.
"Each section has its own, communal fire pit. We cook all our meat there and carry it back" Miranda explained. "As for the fruits and vegetables, they are homegrown and I prepare them in the next room!"
"Now let's give thanks so we can eat!" Brandon said. "Justin, you are not from here so we don't expect you to follow our ways. But before we eat we say these words:
'To our Creator and Provider, we give thanks. May we give Him glory as we fellowship around this table, and praise Him for His care. Amen'
Never had I heard such a thing, but since I was their guest, I recited with them and then we began to eat. The conversation flowed as the children were excited to share with their father all that they experienced in the day. From the attention given to them, I could tell that their parents cared for them very much. All the while, I did not feel any pressure to add to the conversation or explain who I was, nor did I feel expectation to follow their habits or customs. It was very relaxed.
The food was refreshing and juicy, meat warm and tender and the water cool and smooth. There was nothing disagreeable to me and never had I tasted a fairer meal.
Were the tales I heard, wrong? The legends untrue?
These thoughts and more niggled at the back of my mind-nothing in this land was as I expected-not even a slight bit. If anything the very opposite was true. Part of me felt troubled, the other, delighted.
After we ate, the children were asked to go work on their studies and allow the 'adults to talk'. They gave a slight groan but did as they were told-first helping Miranda clear the table-before disappearing all together.
While Jotham and Christopher converse, Brandon excused himself a moment and I got myself comfortable back in my old seat. In the back of my mind the unsettled thought came that I would soon have to leave again and continue my journey.
After a moment, Brandon returned, carrying a glass jug filled with a drink the color of red and orange. Miranda followed, carrying glasses.
"You must try this" he said to me, as Miranda handed him a glass, "don't worry there is no alcohol; it's a cider, famed in our kingdom."
I took the glass from him and looked down at the cider; its scent was sweet and crisp.
"Drink, it is good! Trust me!" Brandon urged as he poured another for Christopher. Not wanting to offend, I took a sip of the cider, it tasted as sweet as it smelled and it was coo doing down. I found it refreshing as the meal had been.
"Good?" Miranda asked. I nodded and took another sip.
"What do you usually eat in your country?" Miranda asked, taking her own glass and sitting down next to me.
"We eat a lot of stew. Many of our days are cool and sometimes a powerful wind blows through. Stew nourishes and comforts."
"That it does. We eat it a lot in the winter months. But the rest of the year we prefer game and fresh foods."
"What do you think of us?" Christopher blurted out. "Because I have heard rumours everything I enter your land. The people usually whisper and keep away. If they speak to me at all they are cold and short-but I do not think you are like that to each other.
'So tell us, are we as you expect?"
I was a bit startled at the abruptness, but gathered myself together, "not at all" Ir eplied, "quite the opposite."
"What are the rumours?" Miranda asked curiously.
I hesitated, "I do not want to offend...."
"You won't-now that we know your answer!" Brandon said.
"The rumour is that you are a heard-hearted people, living under a harsh King. You keep to yourself and have poor living conditions, with a King that does not care for you. Those who are wealthy in your land are as selfish as your King and you are a very proud kingdom."
The four of them gazed at me, questionably, eyes a bit widened at what I had said. Then suddenly Brandon began to chuckle,
"well I am glad that we have proven that rumour wrong! Our enemy is very subtle, he enjoys throwing lies around and deceiving people, but I assure you we are not all that. Our King will also prove these rumours are lies."
Part of me doubted his words about the King, yet another willed it to be so, especially for the sake of Terrence, currently in the King's dungeon.
A reflective silence suddenly filled the room, lasting for a moment;
"Is that why you are here? To see if the rumours are true?" Brandon asked. Miranda touched his hand as if to say 'don't start' but allowed him to speak.
"No" I replied, "my cousin is in your King's palace as a prisoner and I'm here to speak to the King."
Brandon pressed his lips together, as if he knew something but didn't want to speak it.
"Really, I should be leaving soon" I added looking at my two 'guides'.
"The palace really isn't far from here and the gates won't be open at this time, until morning. You would be better staying the night" Miranda said. "You can leave early if you like."
"Oh, but I couldn't-"I started,
"Sure we can!" Rotham said. "I, for one, would appreciate a good night's rest. We can leave at first light. All eyes looked at me expectantly.
"Very well" I agreed.
All four brightened at my agreement, "let's have another glass of cider in celebration!" Rotham declared, raising his glass
~
My guides were good to their word, as were our hosts who awakened to feed us before we left, as well as give us extra food for the road. Susie and Trent were sorry to see us leave and made it known to all of us.
"I would walk with you a bit down the road if I didn't have class!" Trent declared after several hushes from his mother at his complaints.
Both gave us a hug goodbye, making me feel sheepish-I wasn't use to human contact.
"Just make sure you stop to see us on your way back!"
"We will" Rotham promised, though I wasn't as confident for myself.
Just as we began walking, Brandon came and pulled me aside, his eyes full of sorrow:
"I didn't want to ruin the night-nor alarm you-but I am part of the ruling council, subject to the King only. It is said that your cousin has pleaded guilty for his crime."
I gasped and pulled back, "it cannot be!"
"That is what is being said-but you will discover the truth today, not doubt.
'Our King is just-He will bring a far ruling" he added to assure me.
I couldn't speak then, but I felt my determination grew all the more. I nodded once, then turned to leave. This needed to end: today!
~
The morning was overcast and grey-much like the previous day, with a little sunlight poking out now and then. Once again the forest was alive; the trees hummed and wind danced, birds sung and critters ran to and fro regardless of the chill of the morning. My guides also were quiet, although walking in a comfortable silence. Often, my mind would shift from what I had been told to what I had experienced, and now, even more, I thought of Terrence and what his fate could be.
Continually, I was reminded that the king was just and if that was so, was the King also merciful?
After some time, we broke through the trees and came to a plain. There spread out before us was grass the greenest I'd ever seen it, stretched out for miles and not so distant, was the Castletown, rising up onto the horizon, seeming to glow with light. In the distance, hills rolled along, rising and sweeping like the waves of the sea.
"You see?" Rotham smiled, "we are not far!"
~
We came to the castle doors-wooden and make of mahogany; they stood straight and tall, with golden handles daring to be touched.
"would you like us to wait for you?" Christopher asked.
"No. It's fine. Thank you for your help-and company"
"It has been our pleasure" Rotham said, "I hope we see you again soon!"
Then with a slight bow of respect, they turned to leave.
I was on my own again and, after being surrounded by company, I actually felt...lonely.
Taking a deep breath, I knocked for entrance, into the castle. A guard came and took me to the hallway of the King, in which a small line had formed. In some way I was glad for it so I could truly think through what I was going to say.
Finally, I was announced and allowed to enter the throneroom.
A red carpet led up to the throne itself, climbing steps on the way. The room itself was made of white marble, with three pillars on either side, distinguishing the middle. Tapestries hung, woven in color, depicting different scenes from, I assumed, the life of the King.
NO other observation could be made as my eyes trailed to the throne: to the King I had heard so much about but never seen. He worse a robe of purple and I could see beneath it was a golden buckle. He crown also was of gold with different jewels, each one a color of the rainbow. But it was his eyes that captured me-they were as blue and eep as the ocean, seeking into the heart and, as I walked to the throne, I felt as if a layer of myself was being peeled off to the heart.
I bowed, not so low as I was not part of his kingdom, but low enough to show respect. A moment of silence hummed as I waited for him to speak first.
"I have been expecting you" he said, his voice reminding me of thunder. His words took me by surprise. Was there no surprises in this kingdom?
"What do you mean?" I asked, undignified.
He chuckled, "I see all that is happening in my kingdom. Don't be alarmed! Tell me what is on your heart."
"My cousin!" I blurted, "He is innocent!"
He leaned forward on his throne, "are you certain? He pleads guilty."
"Let me see him-he will tell me the truth!"
"Hmm" the king hummed thinking over my request, then with a gesture, the guard to get Terrence. A moment later, Terrence was brought out, hands bound behind him, looking haggard but, for one in prison, not too bad.
"Terrence!" I cried and ran to him. We embraced and I felt him shake beneath me.
"I did it" he whispered in my ear.
"What!" I asked, grabbing ahold of his arms. I looked into his eyes and saw shame.
"I did it-I rose the rebellion and led the people to the borders. I had help fo course, and they are now being tracked, but I am guilty of my charge.
'You must go back, Justin! You must tell our people they're wrong. We have been deceived by our own king! All along we have been wrong-the exact opposite is true!"
I pulled away, my mind reeling with his words, registering it in my mind. I looked between the King-who looked at us with pity and sorrow in his eyes-sorrow! A king who was supposed to be hard hearted and spiteful-sorrow! And Terrence, who was trying to hold back his own tears, looking at me with shame. He was young-so young! His entire life was before him and all because of a foolish mistake-and the ignorance of our people!
"Take me!" I pleaded to the King.
"Justin!" Terrence cried, but I would have none of it.
"He is young" I continued, "and while I cannot fully blame the ignorance of my people, he did not know. He make a foolish mistake. Continually I hear you are a just king and so you will punish the wrong. But his entire life is ahead of him. Spare him please and take me in his place. I will take his punishment!"
"I understand young man, but your people are not so ignorant" the king told me softly, "my people go out among you often enough, but your people reject them and some have even been threatened and beaten for trying to share the Truth!"
I hesitated, unsure of what to say.
"Please" I finally begged, getting on my knees, "have mercy! They say you are a good King, let him live! I will take his place and he can return to our people and tell them the truth! Just let me take his place!"
"Your love is great for your cousin" the King reflected, "but his case is not against me but against my Son. It is He who will have the final judgement."
I felt my heart drop at his words, when suddenly another voice stepped in:
"I will accept it!"
I looked to see a young man step out, a silver crown on his brow, robed in crimson; his eyes looked at us with compassion.
"My Son" the King said, "are you certain?"
The prince nodded, "yes. I will release Terrence-on the condition that he will return to his people and share only the Truth. We will see the reception he is given with his words.
Justin, will stay."
I felt my hope lift just as my mind registered his words.
Stay?
The Prince met my eyes as if he saw that I was only realizing his words.
"You will become an outlaw to your people and you will live separately from them. You will be part of my Kingdom, not to return to your old land, and you will be in my personal service.
Terrence will return for the both of you. Do you accept this punishment?"
I thought through his words; reflected back to my own life and then to the life his people lived. I thought of the warmth and kindness and vitality experienced here, which was unlike any other place I had been in or seen.
"I accept" I answered, my words seeming to echo all around the room and penetrating, my own flesh to the heart.
The Prince smiled, "the I hereby declare the crime of Terrence the Kamian absolved, the punishment passing through me, to his cousin Justin the Kamian, now am exile of his own!"
~
I was allowed to walk to the borders with Terrence, we were stopped only by Trent and Susie, who had heard all that had happened from his dad, who had received the news from the council. They welcomed Terrence as they had me, with awe and love. To my surprise, they were excited at the hope of seeing me more often.
"They are a good people" Terrence said softly as we neared the border, "living under a great King."
"They are-and I have no doubt you will share that with the Kamians." As I was now an outlaw and not allowed to enter my old land, I tried to disassociate myself with the Kamians to make the transition easier: it was going to take time.
"It is a sort of death; you know" Terrence said, "just a different kind."
"I know" I answered, "but the King is Just and I am willing to pay this punishment. Besides, when I think about...my old life, I wonder if I was truly living."
"Huh?" Terrence asked, stopping at the border.
"You might understand, later on" I said, clasping his hand, "you have a task to keep now for the King-and for me"
"I will": he answered confidently, "now, I suppose I need to say goodbye..." and his eyes welled up with tears. I hugged him in response, unable to say the words.
"Thank you for coming for me" he added.
"I'd do it again" I said, "now go. Remember the message. Stay safe."
Then, I watched as slowly he turned away and went to the ferry awaiting him. I watched him climb aboard and waved goodbye as he disappeared from sight.
Goodbye
Then I went ahead to my new life.

© Copyright 2015 Majestic3 (majestic3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2036706-Not-Forever