*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2038730-The-Pain-of-Breakfastlessness
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #2038730
Is it a tragedy? A comedy? I've heard a lot different peoples thoughts.
Breakfastlessness


Of all the pains there is no pain greater than my pain. Many long years ago on the day of July 10, 2013, I was faced with a crisis that threatened to take my life. Ever since then every 10th of July serves as an echo of the horrid memory, I can’t bring myself to interact with anyone, not even my Mommy. I can’t stay inside, I crave something to occupy my mind, but no matter how hard I try, I can never escape the blanket of hell that looms over my mind. I still have nightmares and stay awake at night haunted by my memories. I can still recall the pain, the pain of breakfastlessness. I was ten years old at the time, my family was living on one of the warm grassy mountain tops of Kansas. Life was perfect, the sun always shone, the beach wasn't far away, and the weather was always perfect. I had gotten up on all days just as I always did, I went to the bathroom, washed my face, made my bed, and then I entered the kitchen eager for breakfast. I opened the pantry and looked in with fervor. What I found still haunts me to this day, fore I found NOTHING…
“No” I said to myself, “that’s not true, THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!” I didn't know what to do… I felt so helpless there was nothing I could do. I fell on my back, I couldn't care, I started tearing up, than sobbing, then weeping uncontrollably. “MOMMY!” I yelled, I screamed and screamed for her over and over again, but no one came.

For thirty-minutes I probably laid there, helpless, abandoned. What was I supposed to do, I thought and thought, however I could think of nothing. I still don’t know how it happened, but after ten more minutes on the floor an idea popped into my head. With as much energy as I could possibly muster I dragged myself off the floor and with tremendous willpower stayed on my feet. I marched to the counter and reached out to the landline phone (such primitive technology, even back then). Even though I felt like my arm would fall off from extreme fatigue from not eating my ever nourishing Lucky Charms, I managed to get the phone off the speaker dialed my Mommy’s number and put it on speaker as I fell. I waited for several seconds ringing each moment, eventually an operator's voice said the standard “this line is busy” stuff and the tone went off. I was stunned, my own Mommy couldn’t help me, I did the only sensible thing I could I dragged myself off the ground for a few more seconds and dialed 911. I explained the situation to the operator and he just rudely hung up. Once the operator hung up I lost consciousness with the last of my strength.

After fainting I awoke in the Kansas City Hospital’s ICU. I was told that Mommy came home an hour after I passed out and called 911, they rudely hung up on her too and she had to drive me to Kansas City. After we got the hospital I immediately went into the Emergency Room where it took the work of the hospital’s greatest professionals working consecutively for over a day to save my life. I may have survived breakfastlessness, but I am still scarred to this day, both physically and mentally.
© Copyright 2015 Doomhamer (zfightersrepic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2038730-The-Pain-of-Breakfastlessness