*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2039377-Blitzkrieg-1-A-Return-to-War-Chapter-4
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #2039377
chapter 4 completed

                                             CHAPTER 4


.SEPTEMBER 7TH 1861 OVER NEW YORK CITY


         The Lone He 111 Luftwaffe Bomber had flown from just behind the Confederate Lines in Maryland. On board the aircraft was a weapon that the German Scientists had spent years developing. When the German troops and personnel had came back in time Hitler had sent the entire German program and Germanys entire Rocket program back as well.  Days earlier the scientists had finally informed Rommel that they had perfected the weapon, and built the delivery device for it.  The He 111 approached New York City from the south west.  As the bomber neared the center of the sprawling city the bombardier released the weapon.  The pilot, who had been briefed on the weapon,  put on his special eye ware along with the copilot. He immediately banked the plane far to the right rapidly gaining altitude.  As the seconds ticked by a sudden flash as bright as the sun appeared from behind the aircraft, followed shortly by a strong shockwave which shook the plane like a giant had grabbed it in their hands. The copilot leaned and looked to the rear. A giant mushroom shaped cloud thousands of feet high rose from center of  the city of New York.  The copilot gave the pilot thumbs up and they continued on for home.


SEPTEMBER 9TH 1861 WASHINGTON D.C


President Hamlin of the United States of America, and President Jefferson Davis of the Confederate States of America sat at the giant table, across from one another.  The Giant meeting hall had been decided upon for these talks. Around the 2 men and the table confederate officers and government officials stood around President Davis, while their Counterpart Union Officers and government officials stood around President Hamlin.

         President Hamlin, smiling, began to talk first. “President Davis we the United States Government wish to ask for a cease fire effective immediately. We further more wish to order all forces from both sides north and south to halt any and all movements.” Davis nodded and smiled, writing a few notes down on a paper pad in front of him. “We also with the Confederate Government wish for the same to happen. We agree with your proposals, however we also wish to request that the current border states of the Confederacy be respected. This means border states formerly listed as being in dispute. For example Missouri and Kentucky.” Hamlin sighed, and nodded at President Davis. “Very well sir, we agree to those terms. We also wish to discuss the condition of our occupied Capital.” Hamlin added. Davis nodded and motioned to a Confederate General who had been standing close by to step forward. The Man came to attention and saluted Davis and Hamlin. “President Hamlin this is Major General Thomas Jackson.  He was appointed as the military governor of Washington D.C. shortly after its capture.” Davis said. “President Hamlin, sir. I have had the pleasure of presiding over the city for the last few months, and during that time I have followed the US laws as closely as possible in administering the city, and providing the law within the city.  Looting and scavengers have been severely discouraged, and when captured have been severely dealt with. I have continued to run the city as normal as possible with the exception of food supplies and goods which obviously could not pass through our lines.” Jackson spoke. President Hamlin smiled and mumbled thanks to Jackson for the utmost care he had taken in the administration of the city and its care. President Davis and Hamlin sat quietly for a moment then shook hands and Hamlin reached forward for the ink quill sitting on his desk. Hamlin paused a moment, then signed his name to the peace treaty, then passed the document to Davis who also put his mark on the paper. Both men then shook hands, and left the small details yet to be worked out to their lower ranking subordinates.

         

SEPTEMBER 13TH NEW MUNICH/PETERSBURG, VIRGINIA


Rommel sat at his desk in his office at New Munich.  Since his scientists had developed the fission weapon then exploded the fission bomb over new york, the US government had decided that they couldn’t compete any longer with the Confederate States Military machine that could wield such power.  He thought for some time. Since the Peace treaty had been signed they had no longer been able to communicate with the future. Rommel’s scientists assumed that with history changing, that the future had also changed.  It wouldn’t hurt his forces too much though. Several months ago he had sent a few hundred men with heavy equipment into Texas to begin drilling for oil.  His men had since struck several wells of crude oil and they were now building a cracking plant to refine the oil into liquids that the German machines could use. But until they were ready to produce they had stockpiled several million gallons of oil, diesel, and various other lubricants that had been brought back before the timeline was changed.

         The past several weeks of peace had been good for the Germans and the Confederacy. However the Federals up north weren’t so lucky. On September 1st the British Armies in Canada had struck down into the United States. Nimitz and his forces were doing well blunting the eastern British attack through Maine, but the western British Army was brushing aside the federal response as if they were mosquitoes pestering a Bull.

         Field Marshal Erwin Rommel and Confederate Secretary of State Judah P. Benjamin sat on the small patio outside the Confederate White House. Across from these two men sat the Spanish Ambassador to the Confederacy, Emilio Sanchez. Spain was in a costly war with France at this time so the Confederacy on behalf of Rommel had made a request to the Spanish Government.  Spain had been very interested and had asked their ambassador to the CSA to investigate the request further. Ambassador Sanchez smiled and spoke, crossing his hands on top of the table.” So gentleman let me make sure I have this request fully understood. The confederacy wishes to purchase the island of Cuba for approximately 20 million dollars in gold?” He had asked. Rommel looked at Benjamin and nodded. Secretary Benjamin nodded to the Spanish ambassador.” That is correct Ambassador Sanchez. We would like to conclude this transaction as soon as possible if we could as well.” Benjamin said. Sanchez smiled thinly, slightly nodding his head to the two men.  Sanchez seemed to think for a few moments. “Spain would be amenable to that. I will have to check with my superiors, but I believe that we can conclude this deal within the a month or two.” Rommel Smiled and nodded his head, feeling relief. Benjamin shook hands with Ambassador Sanchez and all the men stood. “We the Confederate Government look forward to doing business with Spanish Government far into the future.”



NOVEMBER 1ST 1861 HAVANA, CUBA


The docks were bustling with activity. Ships were unloading all along the dock, bringing ashore troops, equipment, machines, and millions of other items. Alongside the dock was a large office type building that Field Marshal Rommel had appropriated has his Temporary Headquarters. As units were unloaded they were marching out into the countryside, slowly moving farther and farther from Havana,  garrisoning the towns as often as possible.

         Rommel could see out into Havana Harbor through the window of his office on the second floor.  Scattered CSA warships were out in the harbor protecting the cargo ships and transport ships of their German Allies. Germany of this time has sent several emissaries to speak with their countrymen’s leader, but Rommel had avoided any meetings until his plans were more fully realized. Rommel’s longtime aide, Rudolf Lange entered his office without knocking, breaking Rommel’s attention from the activity in the harbor. “Sir!” Lange gave the Nazi Salute. “I have a delegation of men from Berlin here to see you sir. They claim to be ordinary citizens sir and not affiliated with the government.” Rommel slightly nodded his head. “Very well.” He said.” Please show them in.” Lange clicked his heels together and walked from the room, coming back shortly with the small group of men. “Welcome to New Germany gentlemen.” Rommel smiled rising from his seat and reaching out to shake the men’s hands. “Formerly known as Cuba.” He continued. “What can I do for you gentlemen today, please make this brief as I am very busy.”

         

NOVEMBER 3RD HAVANA, CUBA


         “So as you can see sir, we have began to rebuild the necessary factories to produce our weapons and machines.” Rommel nodded and looked out over the plains around the town formerly known as Matanzas. One of the first things that Rommel had had his administration do was begin to change the names of the towns and villages.  Rommel planned to make Cuba into a country more like their Homeland, Germany.

         As he walked through the manufacturing district that they had began to set up here, he thought of the thousands of German civilians who had decided to move here from Germany of this time.  He was building a very good base here for a new start. He knew his men who had come here had left everything they had known behind. Some had left families, some had left their homes, and or careers behind.  One thing that Rommel had decided early on in this operation was the stupidity of the garbage that the SS believed in. He had already made up his mind to not repeat the mistakes of the past.  SS Obersturmbahnfuhrer Klaus Junge had already had several clashes with Rommel over what policies the SS would continue with once they had their own country.  Rommel had specifically ordered the discontinuation of the death camps that he had finally found out about earlier in the month. He had been going through classified SS documents shortly after they had begun moving onto the island. He accidentally found a packet of documents that the SS men had left in Rommel’s files. He had become so disgusted with what he had read that he had actually contemplated disbanding what SS units were here and making them into regular Wehrmacht, but had realized that nothing short of a civil war within his own ranks would dissolve the SS. Rommel did, however, give authorization for the work camps to continue. He did tell the SS that he wouldn’t allow any more than a half dozen on the island though. The SS had grumbled but relented to Rommel’s orders.

         The administrator with Rommel asked him a question about the Panzer factory, bringing him out of his thoughts of the recent past. “I said sir, that this is the Panther Factory for building new Panther Panzers, and over there,” He pointed across the open field to another building going up.” is the new factory for the Tiger, and Tiger II Panzers.” Philip Loutez, his minister for war production and armaments, said to him. “We have several locations like this across the country. Some are for war material and produce items for the wehrmacht, Kriegsmarine, (or German navy),  and the Luftwaffe. While other factory locations will be producing goods for civilian use and consumption.  Rommel was pleased, everything was coming together nicely. He smiled to himself, then went back to listening to his minister.


NOVEMBER 6TH WASHINGTON D.C.


         President Hannibal Hamlin sat glumly at his desk in the White House.  Sitting and standing throughout his office his advisors and cabinet stood around looking at the floor or vacantly staring into space.  Admiral Chester Nimitz and his second in command Admiral Raymond Spruance sat calmly staring at the president. “Mr. President I don’t know what we can say. We had no intelligence that the German Forces had such a weapon. We have knowledge of how to build such a weapon, but not that they did and or could.” Hamlin humphed, and had a look of scorn on his face. “Admiral, all we have heard from you in this office since the attack has been, we didn’t know. Frankly I’m tired of hearing that. This can never happen again to this country. Because of this we have lost half of this country to slave owning rebel scum. We have been forced to make peace with these people and now we are barely holding our own against the British forces from Canada.” Hamlin turned his hands on their sides, fingers straight out and thumbs up in a gesture of conceding something. “However I do have to admit that your forces have provided amazing support to our troops against the western British advance.  I gather we have stopped their advance cold and literally decimated their army there.”

         Nimitz spoke, interrupting the President. ”Mr. President we have to do something about New York. I understand that there are probably survivors near the outskirts of the city, however we need to erect a wall or barrier of some sort around the entire city. My scientists tell me that the city of New York is covered in a material that is Radioactive. Radioactive material is deadly to living creatures and we will have to keep people out of the city area until we can seal it off.” Hamlin sighed and gestured to Nimitz. “Very well Admiral, see to it please.” Admiral Nimitz put his hand on his forehead to wipe away the sweat forming on his brow. He stood and saluted to the president then his aide and he walked from the presidents office. 

         

NOVEMBER 10TH 100 MILES EAST OF ST. JOHN’S, NOVA SCOTIA


  1. Admiral Raymond Spruance scanned the sea          ahead of his flagship, the USS Missouri.  The Missouri was a          battleship, one of the most powerful ships in the US Navy in terms          of armor and guns.  Somewhere out there was a large British fleet. A          pilot flying a Catalina PBY had spotted it early this morning and          shadowed the fleet until running low of fuel.  Spruance wasn’t          worried about the British fleet. If he was in command of Civil War          era ships he would be more worried, however he knew he had the          British both outgunned, and outmanned.  With the Missouri he had          brought Desron 4 and 6 (desron meaning destroyer squadron)          totaling 16 destroyers. He also had Cruron 21 consisting of 6          Cruisers, the USS Missouri and 2 Fleet Carriers with over 80          aircraft.          

         Spruance stood, stretching the kinks out of his joints after being seated on the bridge for so many hours. He spoke to the Captain, “Captain, I’m going to go below and get some rack time. If the brits are spotted I’d like to know right away. Continue having both the Yorktown, and the Lincoln launch fresh combat air patrols over the fleet every 45 minutes.” The captain saluted and said “Aye, Aye sir.” Spruance threw up a lazy salute and opened the hatch leading off to the bridge. 


NOVEMBER 10TH SOMEWHERE OVER THE GRAND BANKS


         The British Commodore Lord Ronald Letheridge stared down at the long metal cigar shaped craft laying low in the water.  Lord Letheridge had been informed by his government that the Confederate States Government were sending help to combat the Naval forces that the United States had received from the future.  When Lord Letheridge had first been informed of the British Armies defeat by the Americans he was astonished. His superiors had further informed him that their informants in America spoke of giant steel ships, and men with strange style uniforms and weapons that could fire hundreds or thousands of rounds a minute. Initially not believing these stories the British High Command had sent their Armies into America anyway. The resulting battle left the British officers in no doubt as to the reliability of the reports. Strange machines that flew in the air spitting death at the soldiers below. Guns manned by only a few soldiers able to wipe out whole units of the finest British soldiers.  So Lord Letheridge wasn’t going to doubt the reports any longer. His superiors had also informed him that the Confederate States had also received assistance enabling them to defeat their Yankee brothers during their own civil war. 

         Lord Letheridge no longer had time to go over the events of the past few weeks as the commander of the strange craft next to him approached his vessel, the HMS Dreadnought.  (The Dreadnought was the first of its kind built in Britain.  The Dreadnought was the epitome of British Naval design. It was over 150 feet long and was powered by a newly designed steam turbine engine capable of pushing the ship close to 35 knots.) Lord Letheridge appraised the captain of the strange craft laying in the water next to his. He was dressed in a black uniform with strange markings and wore a soft white cap with a black bill.  Captain Otto Kempf of the U-355 also was appraising the British Commodore as he approached him. Kempf inwardly smiled at the British Admirals uniform, thinking it looked like something from a museum.

         Kempf came to attention clicking his heels together and saluted the British Lord in the same fashion as Letheridge. (Privately Kempf couldn’t stand the Nazi’s and the Nazi salute and would never give it when he could get away with it.) Once the two men were done with the rituals of the Navy, they strode the deck around the enormous British ship. “Captain Kempf, I’m doubtful how much your one ship can assist us.” Letheridge spoke first looking at the deck, then at the German. “If you don’t mind sir?” Kempf asked, and the Commodore motioned. “Of course.” (Letheridge was intrigued by what the German intended.)

         Kempf reached into his uniform and withdrew a small flare pistol and pointed it into the air. He fired a red star flare up into the air. Within moments U-boats began to surface all around the Dreadnought.  Letheridge was now very impressed. As he scanned the surface of the seas he counted over 12 of the strange craft now on the surface.  Letheridge smiled and shook Kempf’s hands. “Let’s talk some Captain, about our plans.”


NOVEMBER 11TH 200 MILES EAST OF SAINT JOHN’S, NOVA SCOTIA


         Admiral Spruance lay sleeping in his bunk when he was suddenly jolted awake by the combination of his General Quarters alarm, and his intercom ringing at the same time.

Spruance bolted upright in his rack, or bed, and reached for his telephone hanging on the wall close by.  “Spruance.” He said into the microphone. “Sir this is the captain. We have the British ships just at the far edge of our radar. You asked to be notified the moment we had them sir.” The captain rapidly spoke.  “Very well. Alert the fleet to ready for action and bring the fleet to battle stations surface.” He said then hung up. He stood from his bed and began to dress hurriedly, anxious for the upcoming battle.

         As Spruance was dressing, the periscope of U-355 slowly raised and began to spin around. Kempf was astonished. He had closed with the American fleet a few hours earlier and managed to work his way into the inner circle of defenders and now had both of the enemy Aircraft Carriers in the periscope sights. Kempf centered the periscope crosshairs on the closest ship. “Mark” he said. The torpedo officer looked up at the periscope to get the bearing, or direction, to the target.  “210” He said to the captain. “Speed is 12 knots” The captain said. The torpedo officer used this information to plug into the torpedo firing computer. “Set” He said.  The captain watched the target for another few seconds .  Then said “Match bearings and shoot.” The Torpedo officer reached up to the torpedo firing board. “Tube 1 fired electrically, tube 2 fired electrically, tube 3 fired electrically, tube 4 fired electrically. All tubes fired sir.” He reported. Then the sonar officer leaned from his small cubbyhole just outside the control room. “All torpedoes running hot straight and normal sir.”  The captain slapped his perscope handles up and then stepped back and said down periscope. As the periscope started to drop he ordered, “Crash Dive. Make your depth 135 meters.” As the orders were repeated to him he added. “Rig for silent running.”

         Minutes ticked by as the submarine reached its deep cruising depth, then a low rumble could be heard far off, followed by several more. Then from farther off could be heard many more rumbles, some seeming to come from different directions.  “It would seem that our other comrades in the wolf pack have been lucky as well, eh?” The captain whispered to his men in the control room. The other men scattered around the control room smiled and nodded heads. The captain looked up at the overhead, or ceiling.

         Up on the surface Spruance was staggering under the explosions from the back, or aft part of his ship. He had taken several apparent torpedo hits into the starboard side of the ship and one into the port side. He glanced out the forward windscreen and saw smoke coming from both of the aircraft carriers and at a brief glance noticed that the Lincoln appeared to be down by the bow. “Radio the Romney and have her come alongside to pick me up. I’m transferring my flag to her for now.” Spruance said. 

         As the USS Romney pulled alongside the stricken USS Missouri, a hellish explosion shook the battleship. The entire aft section of the ship had blown off and the ship was sinking fast. The Romney lost its radio and radar masts in the blast, and dozens of men working on the deck were killed outright by the debris thrown out by the blast.  Several more men were blown overboard by the concussion.  On the bridge of the Missouri Admiral Spruance lay on the deck, blood dripping from his ears and nose.  From the distance another large explosion shook the USS Abraham Lincoln as the raging fire down below the decks reached pooled up aviation gas, and stacks of bombs and ammunition for the aircraft in the hanger deck.

         A small party of men led by the captain of the Missouri hurriedly lowered Admiral Spruance down to the waiting motor launch to take them over to the Romney. The captain turned to look at the Missouri. As he watched the jagged stern section quickly lowered into the water and the bow slowly rose straight up into the air.  He could see men jumping from the ship into the water covered with raging flames fed by the ruptured fuel oil bunkers within the ship. The captain watched men sink and drown and paddle for dear life as the suction of the ship going down pulled them under. The captain wiped the tears from his eyes with the dirty sleeve of his khaki uniform.  He turned to look ahead at the Romney, noticing her damage. He shook his head, thinking we had our butts handed to us on a golden platter today. It was a sad day for the US Navy.


NOVEMBER 12TH OFF THE GRAND BANKS IN THE ATLANTIC OCEAN


Commodore Lord Letheridge stood smiling and shaking hands with the captain and crew of the U-355. Captain Kempf was pleased with this new relationship with the British Navy of this time. He sure didn’t miss the British Royal Navy of 1944. Letheridge had informed Kempf that with the destruction that his submarines had inflicted on the American ships, He had been ordered to Nova Scotia to protect the incoming convoys of replacements for the Royal Army in Canada. These new men on the ships were to replace the men killed by the Americans in the beginning of the invasion. Kempf could now give his wolf pack the command to head back to New Berlin, (formerly Havana), and some well deserved R&R for his men.


NOVEMBER 12TH NEW BERLIN, NEW GERMANY

         

         Rommel sat in amazement staring at the group of men.  Adolf Hitler, chancellor and Fuhrer of the Third Reich stood before him. Next to him was Field Marshal Hermann Goring, chief of the Luftwaffe, and ReichsFuhrer Heinrich Himmler who was chief of the SS or Schutzstaffel and the Gestapo or secret police. Hitler stepped the few feet up to Rommel’s desk and smiled at the Field Marshal. Rommel Leaped to his feet and raised his arm in the Nazi Salute. “Sieg Heil.” He shouted.  Hitler gave a perfunctory salute and then spoke. “My dearest Field Marshal, you have done an excellent job here with the mission I gave you five months ago. “ Hitler walked the short distance to the office window and looked out over the bay at the activity. “Field Marshal, I’m promoting you to ReichsMarshal. You will now be in command of all the armed forces of New Germany.  You have done a much better job than even I had expected.” Rommel Saluted Hitler and thanked him.  Hitler, still looking out the window, continued speaking. “I am sending envoys to Germany of this time. I will offer land and I will also offer the new Reich marks to any German who wishes to settle here. We will slowly breed or weed out the Spaniards who remain here. I want this to be a nation of pure Aryan stock, gentleman.” Hitler spoke. “I hear that you have ordered the death camp program discontinued Reichsmarshal. I believe that this is a good idea at this time.” He said glaring at Himmler. “In hindsight the idea of those camps sounded good at first, however the world opinion against us turned even the most trusted allies of the Reich against us when they learned of the Final solution to the Jewish question. I believe I was wrongly advised on that matter and that we should have taken other steps.” He said again glaring at Himmler, who managed to not make eye contact with Hitler during his rant.

         Hitler motioned to his secretary who was always close by. “Take this down Inga.” He said. “From the office of the Fuhrer. Effective immediately all persecution of Jews are to cease immediately.  Jews will not be granted citizenship and the pre existing laws of the reich concerning Jews will stand. Jews are not to be assaulted in public. We will do things slightly different this time.” While Hitler was speaking, Himmler’s face had become darker with suppressed anger. Hitler noticed Himmler’s reaction and motioned to a couple of his personal guards at the door to the office.  One of the men, a lieutenant walked up to Hitler and leaned forward letting Hitler whisper in his ear. The man leaned back away from Hitler and nodded at his leader. He then turned and drew his Luger from his holster and pointed at Himmler. Himmler had a brief second to register a shocked look on his face before the man pulled the trigger several times.  Hitler fell to the ground dead before he hit the floor. Hitler smiled in approval. “It had come to my attention that Herr Himmler was in contact with the allies back in 1945. He tried to negotiate a separate peace with the allies from behind my back. I learned of his discussions, which obviously came to nothing, but chose to not act on that information until now.” 

         The other members of the group stared in shock at Himmler’s lifeless body lying on the floor. They had no idea that Himmler had been conspiring behind Hitler’s back. “Effective immediately Reichs Marshal Goring would take over the duties of the SS, the police and the Gestapo, along with his duties with the Luftwaffe.” Hitler decreed. 


         


         

         

                   

8

         
© Copyright 2015 History writer (mcsiti1976 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2039377-Blitzkrieg-1-A-Return-to-War-Chapter-4