*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2040686-The-Spoon-of-Prosperity
by Josh
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #2040686
A boy named Totoy who was able to finish his studies by working and studying hard.
The Spoon of Prosperity

By Joshua A. Apolonio



Is this really the kind of life Filipinos have? I don’t know. Even though our family is poor, we deserve the treasure of education. My mother once told me before she died that we can no longer achieve success because of our current state. I tried to give up in the end. But, I will end up achieving no more in life than they did.

I was in elementary school when my stepmother told me to stop schooling. She told me that school is just a barrier to my life. She asked me instead of schooling is to do house chores and clean up the back yard and also the barn near our barangay together with my father for me to earn my own income. I was about to think if that kind of idea is good or not. Ever since the summer, I have been working. Suddenly, my stepmother nagged me and has been asking me for money but I didn’t give her even a single penny.

“Totoy! Totoy! Hey, you! Where the hell did you go?” said my stepmother.

“I just came from the barn, Nanay. Why?”

“Give me your money.”

“Why Nanay? I need it. I can’t give it to you.”

“And why not? Are you forgetting that I am still older than you? I am your stepmother!”

“Of course not, Nanay. But what I mean to say is that I will be using my money soon for school.”

“What? School? Did you just forget what I told you that you don’t have to go to school anymore because we are poor! Don’t assume Totoy! I’m telling you. Don’t assume! Give me your money!”

“No, Nanay! Go get Tatay’s money but I can’t give you mine.”

After that was a big slap of my stepmother to my face.

“And how did you learn to answer back? Since when, you son of a bitch! Get out from this house! Get out! You are just a burden so get out!”

Anyway, vacation will be ending and the school will soon be opening again. My stepmother then told me to stop schooling but I refused. My money has its own purpose. I won’t just give it to anyone! I worked hard for it. I deserve to spend my own money.

After that, I left our house and went to my Aunty Bising and spent a couple of nights there.

“Why don’t you live here, anyway?” said my Aunt.

“I don’t know if I can, Tita. Nanay might kill me if that happen.”

“Of course not, Totoy. I’ll take care of that. I’ll tell it to your Tatay.”

“Are you sure, Tita? Don’t you think it will not much cause any trouble?”

“Just like what I have said, I will take care of you. You may live here as long as you want.”

I just smiled and thanked Aunty for what she has given me. Aunty Bising is so kind and generous, unlike my stepmother. As payment for my stay inside Aunt’s house and also for her guidance is my whole responsibility as a person and to do my own duties as a growing teen.

Since then, my stepmother and my father have not called me or even looked for me as if I was not their own child. I felt like I was disowned. I realized and thought that I should really have to move on and go with the flow of life. I graduated primary and entered secondary. I was well motivated by my teachers and friends that is why I was encouraged to become the top of our class. I was a freshman then when I was put in Classroom A, which is the star section. I was also able to join Quiz bees and School Fairs that is why I am able to enhance my skills very well. That was how I proved to myself what a good boy I was. Even without my true family, I still have Aunty Bising who gives me the courage. Until I have begun to be a senior student. I am still on the top of our class while my classmates cheering up my name. Since I have the courage and I am able to give my love to my fellow classmates, I became the school Valedictorian and proved that I really achieved my success.

I have entered tertiary and I have decided to take up Culinary. I just entered a school nearby our province so that I can still go home and see Aunty when I got home.

“Tita, guess what… I have successfully passed the entrance exam!” said I.

“Really? Why, congratulations! And what course are you finally taking?”

“Culinary, Tita. Culinary Arts.”

“I thought you like Advertising? Or Business Administration, instead? We have our own store, right? Maybe you can manage that if you take up Business Ad.”

“Well, I much prefer to learn Culinary, Tita. It’s quite challenging. I don’t think that Business Ad is my real field.”

“Are you sure, hijo?”

“Yes, Tita. I’m sure. Thank you so much.”

And so, I entered the world of college. I went to a public school and, fortunately, I met new friends and also my former classmates who had become my classmates before. We had a small amount of tuition fee so I told Aunty that I will apply as a working student in our school so that I will become a scholar and the remaining fee will be from my own savings. Aunty then agreed and then I have started to do my responsibility as a student and as a worker. I am also able to do my classmates’ assignments and activities in exchange of whatever price they want to give. The money that they give turns to my savings which serve as my payment to the cashier every period of the major exam.

The preliminary exam will be starting soon so I tried to study hard and really managed my schedule. I have my schedule for my duties in the school library where I am assigned by the school management, my class schedule, and my schedule at home. Well, that is what I do as a student. All I think about is that this all work will be all worth it. And finally, at last! I have done it. My three-day exam was really exhausting but still, I was amazed to myself like wow! I did it! Since then, I was motivated to perform well until I finished my first year.

“Wow, Totoy. You really make me proud! Your grades are very good. You better keep it up, son! Don’t let yourself be annoyed and disturbed, alright? If you have any problem regarding school, just let me know, okay?”

“Yes, Tita. I will. Thank you very much!”

“Oh, I just got a mail for you ‘toy. You better read it. It’s on a red envelope when I saw it so I think it is really urgent.”

“Oh really, Tita? Let me see.”

“Go downstairs, ‘toy. It is near the kitchen table, beside the oven toaster.”

“Thanks, Tita.”

Well, there really was a red envelope. I wondered what that was. When I opened the envelope, mixed emotions came outside from me which I cannot really explain. I don’t know if I will laugh because I’m so happy, or cry because I was late to know this news. I was chosen as one of the candidates for the school President’s Choice of Outstanding Students!

“Tita, Tita! Oh my good heavens! I can’t believe this!”

“What, son? What is it?”

“I was chosen as a candidate for ‘PresCOS’”

“What’s that?”

“Tita, it is a group of students wherein you will be chosen as one of the most outstanding student of the institution. I really cannot wait!”

“Well, that’s great news! Congratulations ‘toy! I believe you deserve it! Just improve what you are doing. Good luck and God always bless you! I’ll pray for you always!”

“Thanks Tita Bising. I am in need of your moral support.”

As days have passed, I never knew that the Top 10 list of the students was already posted in the bulletin board. Well, I never read what is usually posted there anyway. I just walk along the way and just pass by.

“Hey Totoy, have you seen your name in the bulletin board?”

“Huh?”

“Hey, Totoy. Are you listening?”

“Yeah. I just heard you called me and told me that if I have seen my name in the bulletin board. What I meant was have we met? I think I have never seen you before. I’m sorry miss.”

“Oh, I’m sorry too. I forgot to introduce myself. By the way, I’m Katy Romano, and really, you haven’t seen me before. I just knew you when I went to the library and borrowed some books from Ms. Ramos in the Reference Section. You got your name tag with your whole name in it before, that’s why I was able to recognize you. But then, someone called you ‘Totoy’ that’s why I was able to call you by that name. So, have you seen your name in the board?”

“Oh, alright. So, why would my name be there, anyway?”

“Haven’t you heard it? Aren’t you aware about the PresCOS? You are one of the Top 10!”

“Are you serious?”

“Oh my goodness. Why would I be joking about something this important?”

“Thanks, Katy! You’re heaven sent!”

“Ha-ha. You’re welcome!”

Oh my goodness. It is really real! I can’t believe that I am really one of them! I can read my whole name. Thanks to Katy because without her, I will not be informed about my award. I am really and truly blessed that is why I can really say that God is always beside me.

After few months, I have received my medal together with the graduating students. The awarding of medals was done during the graduation ceremony. As I look at my medal worn to me by the school President, I imagine how proud Tita is and how proud am I for achieving this kind of success. By this kind of opportunity, I was more motivated to continue what I am doing.

Years have passed and I have attended so many trainings and seminars. My knowledge has been filled by my Alma Mater. Now, I am ready to graduate. I successfully become one of the school’s Magna Cum Laude. All what I need now is my credentials and diploma.

It is indeed a great advantage if you have done your whole college life with perseverance. Now, it is March 27 and I’m ready to walk proudly in the stage.

“Hey Totoy, don’t you think we’re too many and we might take several hours to finish the ceremony?”

“I don’t think so, Drew. Maybe let’s just wait for our turn. Let’s see the booklet. Your whole name is Alejandro Flores, right? I’m after you. You’re the second from the last student to be called and I’m the last one. Just be patient, dude.”

“Well, what can we do? We can’t control the ceremony. But I’m starving.”

“I told you, just be patient.”

“It’s really hard to be an honor! Ha-ha. You know what Totoy, geniuses like us can never be together with mere mortals. We should be treated special.”

“Well, that’s the system. We can never change it.”

“Yeah right.”

Drew is one of my friends since first year. I can never forget him because we were the students so called as the “sip-sip’s” to the teacher or what we call as teacher’s pets. Well, what can I do? That’s how I treat other people. I treat them nice and I perform very well that is why I am able to attain good grades. And also, as a part of the Hotel and Restaurant Management Club, I have received a token for being one of the most outstanding students not only in the institution, but also in our organization. The token is a golden spoon. The spoon which is so called as “The Spoon of Prosperity”. Whenever I see it, I imagine my real family. How are they now? Did they also achieve any kind of success? Also, I imagine my future prosperity. Will I gain a brighter future? Or even have a good wife? I think so, and I hope so.

“Thank you, Mr. Alejandro Flores. And now, ladies and gentlemen, let us all welcome with a big round of applause, Mr. Carlito Fuentes Tuazon, Magna Cum Laude.” said the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

“Thank you very much and my greetings to you, friends, guests, co-leagues, faculty members, employees, and co-graduates together with their parents and guardians. For the past years, our school has been changing its’ educational landscape. It has been changing things for the better. And also, it has been changing lives. Me myself, I witnessed that this institution has changed me not only for being who I was for the past years but also for being who I am and what I am today. Thanks to the Almighty because without Him, all of my effort will end up to nothing. Thank you very much my dear friends for being an inspiration throughout the years. You have given me happiness and joy whenever I am in loneliness. And to my Aunty Bising, I give you my deepest and sincerest gratitude. Without you, maybe I am not here in the stage today and I am just probably busy doing nothing. And another thing, to my biological family, my Father, my deceased Mother, also my step mother and step siblings, without all of you, I will not reach my goals in life. You have taught me to be brave and strong. Once again, ladies and gentlemen, this is Mr. Carlito Tuazon y Fuentes, your Magna Cum Laude, greeting all of you, Congratulations!”
© Copyright 2015 Josh (josh0925 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2040686-The-Spoon-of-Prosperity