*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2040986-Deserved
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #2040986
What does one deserve?
Deserved (300)

Johnny's teenage hand trembled as he pointed the gun at Detective Reynolds.
"Now, relax, Johnny." Reynolds said, hands raised. "I can assure you, they got what they deserved."
"What about me? Did I get what I deserved."
"No, Johnny. You got screwed." Reynolds stated flatly.

Johnny's parents were life-long criminals whose careers ended three years ago during a botched robbery turned hostage situation. Detective Reynolds put one of his parents in the morgue and the other in federal penitentiary for life. Which put Johnny in foster care. He was twelve...almost.

"You know who I am, right? You know I was there?" Reynolds asked, knowing the answer.
"No, shit! I know who you are. The Hero of State St."
"Johnny, I need you to pay attention. We don't have much time. Please, I can help you."
"Like you helped my folks."Johnny spat back, raising the gun gangster style.
"I wasn't trying to help them." Reynolds continued, watching a sniper's red dot dance on the side of Johnny's head. "I was trying to stop them."
The detective saw the boy's certainty waiver. The gun lowered a bit.
"Let me help. If someone's hurting you, I'll see that it stops. If you having trouble adjusting, we'll find a way." The detectives hand was inches away from the boy's gun.

Then the red dot quit dancing and went dead still. Detective Reynolds knew he had run out of time. Without thinking, he dove into Johnny. They collided to the sound of shattering glass and sniper fire.
The two sprawled on the floor dazed, but unharmed. Quickly, Reynolds rolled Johnny over and cuffed him. Before the S.W.A.T. team could separate them, he leaned close and whispered, practically begged, "Let me help you. You deserve better."
The boy quietly nodded.

© Copyright 2015 ByronWrites (byronwrites at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2040986-Deserved