*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2041080-Abandon-Ship
Rated: E · Monologue · Scientific · #2041080
The time has come for the kids to leave home.
Abandon Ship!


Abandon defined:

1. To withdraw one's support or help from, especially in spite of duty, allegiance, or responsibility; desert: to abandon a friend in trouble.
2. To give up by leaving or ceasing to operate or inhabit, especially as a result of danger or other impending threat: as in, abandoning ship.
3. To surrender one's claim to, right to, or interest in; give up entirely. See Synonyms at relinquish.
4. To cease trying to continue; desist from: They abandoned the search for the missing hiker.
5. To yield (oneself) completely, as to emotion.

If the human race is to persevere as a form of everlasting life, we must, as a species, abandon the planet Earth. And the sooner the better. As of the very moment that I write these words, forces both geologic and cosmological are at work, as if conspiring – almost diabolically – to eradicate not just human life, but most of all living things on the entire planet.

In the great Permian extinction, over 90% of all life on Earth is thought to have perished. Subsequent extinction events have taken their periodic tolls as advanced organisms retreat one pace back for every crawl-step forward. Located throughout the globe, but North America’s Yellowstone park in particular, the so-called "super-volcanoes" continue to stoke their vast cauldrons with the fires of the next planet-wide catastrophe.

Such cataclysms are likely common throughout the galaxies where countless human-like races continue to be erased from the cosmological ledger. We are listed in that same ledger. The larger question is whether we check out and move elsewhere, or check out, period.
© Copyright 2015 The prodigal son returns 2023. (timtuink at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2041080-Abandon-Ship