*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2041773-DevelopmentalIntellectual-Disabilities
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Ally
Rated: E · Assignment · Educational · #2041773
Tells whether or not the American Dream can be achieved by people with disabilities.

Individuals with Developmental/Intellectual Disabilities and the American Dream

The American Dream is the opportunity for everyone to pursue through hard work stability, power, success, equality, and luxury in order to find happiness. Using the freedoms and basic rights everyone is granted, and staying optimistic, will allow anyone to adapt the American Dream to their situation and achieve their personal/ individual American Dream to create a better future for themselves and others. People born with developmental and intellectual disabilities are at a disadvantage when trying to achieve the American Dream. People with developmental or intellectual disabilities can sometimes be unable to communicate with the world, while others could need help in their daily lives. Either way, people with disabilities need help achieving the American Dream. They are unable to achieve the American Dream because they need help with their everyday lives and protecting themselves. However, there could be a change in support that can be made to help them achieve the American Dream.
Individuals with developmental disabilities or intellectual disabilities can do certain things on their own. Depending on their severity, they can even live on their own (“Intro to Intellectual Disabilities” 1). On the other hand, some people need assistance every day and need help living their lives. They may need help getting dressed, communicating, or learning (ITID 8). The people who need assistance with their lives have a lack of privacy and don’t have the full potential to achieve the American Dream because they share it with their care taker.
Those with developmental or intellectual disabilities need extra protection (“Rights” 7). Many individuals with developmental or intellectual disabilities don’t have the awareness to take care of themselves or protect themselves from harm or injury. If this is the case, a care taker must be provided to fit the needs of the individual. The care taker is monitored to ensure that that care taker is the right fit for the person with disabilities (“Rights” 4).
To fix these problems completely would be very hard. However, advocacy is necessary to help the quality of life of the affected individuals (“Rights” 2). Support can help that individual promote development, education, interest, and the overall well-being of the person. An example of this would be in school. If a student with developmental or intellectual disabilities cannot read, the classroom environment could help them to learn how to read with the support of the other students. The more community support the better. “All Americans gain when people with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities are fully included in their communities” (“Rights” 6). A support can be anybody; family, friends, community, or school (ITID 9). An example of community support is raising awareness for the disability. The community could have a fun run/walk and have t-shirts that they give out. Every little bit counts.
Many people struggle with a developmental or intellectual disabilities. Some can provide themselves with the necessary things needed in life. Other people cannot take care of themselves. People with different varieties of developmental or intellectual disabilities are unable to reach the American Dream because of their need for protection and help with everyday life. However, supporting someone with these disabilities can help them excel more and enjoy life.





© Copyright 2015 Ally (allycat2798 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2041773-DevelopmentalIntellectual-Disabilities