*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2043349-The-Wanderer---Word-Count---1647
by Dave
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #2043349
A man wanders into a village attempting to escape his past.
The Wanderer observes a village of wood and straw on a crescent hill overlooking blue-green rice fields. This humble image envelops his pace momentarily but he soon returns to his motions. His tattered cloak of shades of brown cover nothing but his weary body and a used tanto blade. He keeps the blade abstained from the world out of fear for the truth it brings. His fuzzy muzzle and permanent gaze are kept pointed to the dirt beneath his next step.

The Wanderer rounds a bend noticing ahead a boy failing to pull a wooden cart. Quite suddenly the Wanderers footsteps alert the boy to his presence. Startled the boy manoeuvers himself behind the cart instinctively. Sweat is showing through his oversized Yukata despite the day being quite mild. The Wanderer sees that the cart has a broken wheel making manoeuvrability almost impossible for the child.

‘Need a hand’ said the Wanderer clear and precise. The boy regained his composure upon hearing the Wanderers gentle voice. He was not accustomed to hearing such delicacy.
‘Why’d you wanna help?’ said the boy crassly.
‘Maybe I’m a good person...’
‘Are you?’ Interrupted the boy. Am I thought the Wanderer to himself?
‘That’s not up to me to say...’ said the Wanderer kneeling so he was level with the boy.
‘…but I promise you no harm, just these helping hands.’ Palms up the Wanderer submits himself hoping to gain the boys trust.
‘Guess you ken help.’
The Wanderer picks up the handles from the cart finding it’s heavier on one side but he manages reasonably well.
‘What’s your name son?’
‘It’s Junpei, you?’
‘I am Kino, pleased to meet you’ said the Wanderer bowing.
‘Com’on I’ll lead the way.’

Within the village they come to a small dwelling sheltered by a sunburnt straw roof and constructed of logs.
‘Put it by the wall.’ Said Junpei as he flees inside.
The Wanderer sets the cart against the wall and does the same. He is exhausted but can’t help noticing the many faces subtly drawn to the stranger in their midst. They’re mistrustful as he has known that look before and it brings nothing good.

‘I must thank you stranger.’ Said a voice of silk and wonder. Standing he discovers a woman of rounded figure with a modest attractiveness. He casts his gaze aside as he recalls a similar feeling he once had. Placing his hand subtly on the blade as if for comfort he wishes the feeling away. Yet it lingers faintly behind a wall of guilt.
‘Not necessary, I saw a young man in need of some kindness.’
‘Regardless we should pay you in some way…Kino was it?’
‘That is correct and your name Madam?’
‘Akatsuki.’ Said the woman bowing.
‘Do you need somewhere to stay?’
‘Mother…’ Interrupts Junpei.
‘…what would father say?’
‘Father isn’t here, now go and fetch the tools.’ Akatsuki gives a fierce glance as Junpei leaves in defeat.
‘I apologise for his behaviour.’ Said Akatsuki. Kino brushes it aside with a sweeping gesture.
‘Folks around here are not into trust, are they?’
‘And for good reason…’ said Akatsuki. Kino backs down not wanting to ruin his chance at comfort. Junpei returns with an armful of assorted tools.
‘…now if you can help Junpei mend the cart there will be a bed for tonight.’ At that Akatsuki smiles heading back inside.

When they had finished supper and Junpei had retired Kino and Akatsuki knelt on the floor conversing.
‘I hope I am not to forward but there is something I would like to ask.’ Said Kino cautiously.
‘You wish to know where my husband is?’
‘I am sorry, I did not intend to impose.’ Kino’s cheeks flush.
Akatsuki collects her thoughts as she directs her attention to a half empty cup of tea.

‘My husband Ren was with many men participating in the monthly trade when they were attacked by the Shogun Lord Akio. All of them died.’ Said Akatsuki.
‘I apologise, if I had have known…’ said Kino. Akatsuki continues without acknowledging Kino implying he interrupted her despite the finality of her statement.
‘Akio was screaming ‘Akuma’ repeatedly as if searching for somebody.’
‘Akuma…the Devil. Why would Akio be searching for the Devil?’ Kino ponders whether Akuma is a relevant title for himself but quickly lets the thought fade.
‘Akio has gone mad with guilt or maybe just mad. He murdered his own wife, struck her through the belly with a blade and then held her til’ she passed.’ Kino averted his gaze as if to shield himself from the horrid image. His hand slipped to the blade again. Akatsuki enquires if Kino would like some tea to which he kindly declines.
‘I’m sorry for your loss...’ He regards her warmly and sincerely.
‘…but how do you know this?’
‘Ren fled the massacre returning a coward.’ She finishes her tea.
‘But sooner or later even cowards must seek redemption.’

Akatsuki rises and suggests for Kino to take this opportunity to wash himself assuming it had been sometime. This would normally upset him but he decides to let it fade. Akatsuki shows him the wash room then excuses herself. It’s a simple room with nothing but a round basin like bowl and a large cracked, pale blue pitcher of water for washing. Kino believes it all inexpensive like everything in this house except for Akatsuki. She is by no means a wealthy woman; being a peasant and losing her husband, but there’s something about her. A richness in character that draws Kino towards her compelling him once again to dispose of the feeling.

Kino kneels above the basin and washes his face profusely attempting to remove as much dirt from his woolly chin as possible. He removes the tanto blade from his side raising it to his throat. The blade keeps steadfast as he glides the perfectly sharp edge along the seam of tender flesh. It slices cleanly through the skin just as it has done before. Kino flinches and lets out a yelp as a trickle of blood flows down his neck.
‘What are you doing?’ demands Akatsuki, storming the room and startling Kino. She reaches bellow his chin, pulls the blade away and examines his wound.
‘It’s like you’ve never shaved.’
‘It may have been awhile.’ Kino chuckles.
‘Let me do it.’ She dips the blade in the basin and washes the blood away. The blade smoothly glides along the Wanderers neck clearing all in its path.

Kino watches Akatsuki’s soft hands intently as they handle the blade. He lets his gaze wander her arm up towards her face. Despite his attempts to withdraw himself Kino is completely infatuated with her. She finishes the final stroke and begins to dry his now handsome face. Her concentration is singular as she strokes his fresh jaw with the back of her hand. Their eyes cross paths as an intense lust floods Kino’s senses. Akatsuki pulls Kino close as he accepts her invitation of embrace. A view of another entanglement forces itself into Kino’s mind corroding his lust back into the guilt he knows. Kino breaks the bond with Akatsuki forcing her to raise and flee.
‘Wait!’ said Kino. She paused never looking.
‘I’ll leave.’ He said.
‘You can stay till morning’. She leaves hurriedly. Kino picks up his blade and returns it to its rightful place.

Rising at the sounds of distant cries Kino searches the house but cannot find either Akatsuki or Junpei. Outside he discovers the villagers being rounded up by soldiers adorned in crimson armour. He is about to flee when a small hand grips him by the wrist.
‘Junpei, what’s happening?’ said Kino.
‘That Lord’s come and everyone’s meeting above the fields.’ Said Junpei. Kino begins pulling Junpei the opposite direction of the crowds but the Lord’s men halt him making their escape impossible. They follow the crowds towards the rice fields as shouting grows louder in the coming distance.

Everybody is terrified as Lord Akio shouts through his grey beard as if to one person and everybody simultaneously.
‘Akuma.’ Barks Akio.
Kino overlooks the crowd and spots Akatsuki near the front as Akio roars again. Kino gestures Junpei towards his mother.
‘Go and look after your mother.’ Said Kino as Junpei runs to Akatsuki.
Akio bellows again and Kino presents himself to the Shogun.

‘Brother.’ Kino hails the Lord whose crimson armour sweeps as he turns suddenly.
‘Akuma reveals himself.’ Said Akio. Kino makes no attempt to challenge his claim.
‘Brother Akuma are you prepared to repent?’ Kino kneels submissively.
‘You are guilty of the sins of Envy, Lust and Wrath. You longed for the touch of my wife, attempted to take her against her will and when she refused you murdered her.’ Akio exclaims violently forcing himself out of breath.

Kino is no longer giving his brother attention as Kino removes the well-practiced blade from his side. Kino feels the sharpened edge of the blade around his gut probing for courage. Searching for Akatsuki he finds her tortured eyes glistening with tears as his own begin to swell. He can feel her hatred but knows that every ounce is warranted. She deserves better than to meet a murderous fiend even if he is repentant. Junpei steps in-between Kino and Akatsuki as if protecting her from a monster. Akatsuki pierces Kino’s handsome exterior and sees the devil she allowed in her home. That shame may never leave her. Seeing his lips quiver Akatsuki casts her mind to their embrace but she would never let it win. Kino succumbs to his guilt as Akatsuki devours him with her glare.

‘Akuma can you accept justice?’ Said Akio.
‘Just remember brother you too have sinned greatly.’ Said Kino never acknowledging Akio’s gaze.
The blade enters hot and terrible, but the feeling cools as Kino’s vision fades. To him a reprieve he never deserved.

The End
© Copyright 2015 Dave (daveman0036 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2043349-The-Wanderer---Word-Count---1647