*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2043364-Crooked-House
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2043364
Contest entry for Flash Challenge 29/05
Crooked House

I pause at the gate, taking in the slant of the thatched roof and pale patchwork stone. The sign says ‘Crooked Cottage’ and I know I am at the right place. There is smoke winding its way from the chimney, and it catches in my throat.

I raise my hand to the door knocker, but there is a sign reading, “Do no knock. I will see you.” I become aware of how nervous I am, my heart is thumping loudly. I hope Tanya is already here, I don’t want to be alone with this house and its owner.

When the door opens, I am greeted by an old woman with violet eyes and wild grey hair. “Come in, Dear,” she says, in a voice so soft I can barely hear. I start to say thank you, but she puts her finger to her lips and instructs me to be quiet.

Instinct tells me to run away, but greed for the revered chocolate hangs over me like a spell. Tanya has not stopped talking about it all week.

“Is Tanya here yet?” I asked the witchy woman, as she leads me through the house.

“Shh,” she replies, “Quiet.’

“Why are we whispering?” I ask.

As she motions for me to sit, she smiles and begins to explain. “This chocolate is the most perfectly silky, sweet, magical chocolate. Whatever you want from it, you will get.” She pauses briefly, then says, “The secret ingredient is fairy dust. But fairies are timid, they are easily frightened, so you must be quiet around them.”

With a sceptical hand, I reach for the chocolate and put some in my mouth. Instantly, I understand. My mouth is bursting with sweetness. I feel deliriously happy. I turn to the old lady and whisper, “Thank you. Can I come again?”
© Copyright 2015 Choconut ~ House Targaryen (purplesunday at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2043364-Crooked-House