*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2045563-A-Good-Deed-Looking-for-a-Good-Home
Rated: E · Other · Activity · #2045563
What would you do with thousands of Xmas ornaments? The catch is that you can't keep them.
A Good Deed Looking for a Good Home

What would you do with thousands of brand-new Hallmark Christmas ornaments
that were yours to use as you please? The only catch is that you can't keep them.


Imagine for a moment (or two) how you might play with the idea of suddenly possessing thousands of brand-new, still-in-the-box Hallmark Christmas ornaments. Obtained over a period of several decades and comprised of large and small dolls, fancy electrical motion-ornaments, animated figurines, plus the full assortment of traditional Hallmark offerings--many of them part of ongoing series--the collection represents a highly valuable (and collectible) aggregate that includes expensive limited editions, large tabletop sculptures, and other specialty items.

Now pretend that all of these pristine, gorgeous ornaments are yours to care for; they belong to you and their fate rests entirely in your hands. The only string attached is that you can't keep them for your own enjoyment. You have to share them, give them to others in one way or another. And it's entirely up to you to figure out how you want to get rid of them, figuratively speaking.

Such a proposal leaves you with a lot of options: everything from handing out the ornaments one at a time, to a bulk charitable donation. I have my own ideas, but what would you do? And how would you do it? I'd like to know. Really.

One of the ideas being toyed with (no pun intended) is the donated construction of a custom (and portable) display case that could be exhibited in a hospital setting, ideally one specializing in childhood cancer and other serious diseases affecting children.

Set up wherever space is available (and it usually is) "Christmas The Year 'Round" would provide a wonderful experience for kids who may never see another holiday season. Similar to a compact version of the Santa's Village theme, a coordinated effort by hospital staff, a carpenter or two, and an electrician willing to help out, the illuminated, animated display would not only dazzle everyone who saw it (especially kids, of course) but could act as a fund-raising tool for the facility itself.

This is, however, only one idea that might be doable. So many other directions are possible, limited only by one's imagination and creativity, that a broad evaluation of the multitude of options available seemed like a good (and necessary) first step.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions as to how you would do things--if the decision was yours to make. I'll let you know what is ultimately decided. Hey, maybe this would make a good contest for the best (and most practical) recommendation?

Quick, put on your thinking cap--the red one with the white trim and snowball at the top.
© Copyright 2015 The prodigal son returns 2023. (timtuink at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2045563-A-Good-Deed-Looking-for-a-Good-Home