*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2046817-Stones-Chorus
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Cultural · #2046817
A Prologue idea. Based in a scifi-universe Faith, Hard Questions and much more is reviewed
Stones Chorus


FJCG

By Jeff W. Hartman

The dust settled that day. Another world fallen to the Saulnulian threat. The defenses of Zepron 4 did not stand a chance. The creatures, they are too powerful for normal men to fight. The memoirs are the most unsettling part of this war. Aliens and men all of them talking about the looming ships just out of orbit. The accounts found reference the initial attack fleet as the "Clouds of Famine," due to their looming nature and intent. The first step of a Saulnulian invasion comes with the horn, an echo to warfare long lost to technology. The military is always aware of their presence yet no one is able to dislodge them from the void before the attack. The fiends descend in a spiral pattern to avoid incoming anti-atmospheric shells. Accounts tell of some ships taking damage as stray shots ricochet off of shields and weaken the fleet's defenses. After days of exchanging bullets and beams, the ground forces engage. Saulnulians are nigh insurmountable in martial combat by demigods let alone normal mortals. 'End Audio Record,' came the voice over the loud speaker. "And that class is the first record of the Saulnulian conflict as a whole. From the one and only survivor of Zepron 4," said professor Johns. "Now students what are your opinions," asked the professor. Enthusiasm was high, over half the class raised their hands and some seemed to pool thoughts about the situation. Phones and connector devices rang with input and information about the initial wars but the professor quickly silenced them. At the back of the room saw a young man named David. David was one of the premier students at the "Amphitheater College," for the gifted. A school of highly intelligent and highly clever students all combined into one body was the culmination of "Amphitheater College." The young man knew his peers would give watered down answers with little to no tact when it came to any subject in question. He watched as one by one every answer and opinion was set fire by the professor's grim rebuttals. The sheer weight of the slaughter made the students brains blot out the details, yet the professor strove to test them in all ways he could. The task of explaining the benefits to the Saulnulian resistance were more complicated then most believed.          After the first four worlds it seemed suicide to resist the incursions. Fleeing into space in order to hide seemed the only logical answer presented to the victims. Debates always made David uneasy, for he knew the outcome would be violent. The pride factor that accumulates in the school was outrageous, and no other opportunity gave rise to pride then debates.          "I believe that the invasion should be fought in trench top fashion. A strategy coined by the Erilians by overlaying metal in sheet basses across the planet," said Amanda. David rolled his eyes for he knew Amanda had given the appropriate answer. "Well for being a good student I applaud your answer Amanda, but it is not the one I am looking for," said the professor to Amanda's astonishment. "I want to know the moral applications, why defend a losing fight?" asked Johns. The class was silent. Morals were suggestions to modern society, fighting for any morality was seen as an evolutionary weakness. Though many religious individuals who either did not believe or disagreed, religion was more of a luxury that could not be incorporated. David stood up from his stupor and said, "Because life is worth fighting for." "But what gives value to our lives? The art of war states the victors write history. Saulnulians have slaughtered nigh every race they have ever come in contact with, which means they define history," said professor Johns. David did not know how to respond, his faith dictated that God gave value to life but religion was not applicable to the argument. The young man stood silent and thought deeply. "Sir, the perpetuation of our species is paramount," said David. "Why, the evolutionary standard said survival of the fittest, if the Saulnulians are the fittest then it is paramount they survive," barked professor Johns. "But all those people! My parents!" said David. "All statistics in the cosmic cycle," said the professor coldly. "God still cares," said David. The professor turned and looked at him with a short smile and said, "Lets hope He does."


© Copyright 2015 Penblade (thepuffin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2046817-Stones-Chorus