*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2047466-MaxHow-it-began
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #2047466
This is a short background story based on the two main characters of a long story I wrote.
“Oh for fucks sake!”
Max cursed, annoyed with himself.
For such a little kid, she was proving to be quite difficult to deal with, even in her unconscious state. Rolling her over onto her back carefully again, without making a mess, was proving to be quite a task. He knew he should have left her alone, just walked away quietly. No one would have even known he was there. That would have been the right thing to to do...well the wise thing anyway. But no, against his better judgement, he didn't. Big mistake! Shaking his head subconsciously annoyed with himself.
“Too late now.”
He muttered sarcastically, and got back to the task at hand.
He combed her fringe neatly and gave it one last snip with the scissors.
“There we go all done.”
He murmured out aloud to himself.
Standing up slowly, he surveyed his work. Well it was not the best hair cut he had seen, but it would pass. Hopefully they would be able to fool everyone into thinking that she was a boy. The mess he made was also minimal. The newspapers under her head and shoulders was a good idea. He patted himself mentally on the back.
Now the next step, he thought as he walked into the en-suite bathroom to grab the box of black hair dye. A quick look at the hug bathtub, helped him decide that was the best option. It would be so much easier to die her hair in there, less mess hopefully. Reading the dying instructions, he prepared the bottle with the solution and left it next to the bath. Grabbing the hand held shower head off the stand, he carefully placed it in the bath, then headed back into the room.

The room itself was your average size generic motel room that you would find world wide. Right down to the pastel colored curtains and a couple of cheap prints hanging on the walls. One of the prints was of The Queen and her corgis and the other of a landscape with oak trees and acorns scattered on the ground.
Glancing down at the unconscious child on the ground minus her beautiful long brown hair, was a reality check.
Bending down, Max scooped Courtney up in his arms, managing to avoid stirring up the loose hair. Walking into the bathroom, he caught sight of himself and the unconscious girl in the mirror. For a twelve year old, she looked very small in his huge arms. She took after her Mum in size and looks. She could easily be mistaken for a nine or ten year old. Which played right into Max's hands. No one would be looking for a ten year old boy. Disappearing with her should be easy. As long as she played along. Convincing her, might be a problem.
“Humph!”
Max snorted.
Fear worked well he though darkly to himself.
Pulling his sight away from the mirror, he settled the girl onto the cold tiles. Turning back into the room, he carefully scooped up the newspaper with her hair on and put it in a black plastic garbage bag without messing on the floor. Taking the garbage bag with him, he went back into the bathroom.
“Right, what next? Clothes I guess? Might as well get them off you now instead of later. It will be much easier while you unconscious and dry.”
Courtney stirred in her sleep as if objecting.





MAX

Getting Courtney into the motel room late last night had not been too difficult. Having her covered up in a blanket on the pretense that she was not feeling unwell and asleep, was ingenious. The over helpful lady at reception was annoying though. Typical nosey small town mentality. But they have advantages. Once Courtney was tucked up in bed, I went in search of the reception lady. After explaining to her that I required 'medication for my son', she gave me directions to the the next town which was substantially larger with an emergency pharmacy. I knew this because I had driven through it twelve hours earlier. But she did not know that. I just need an excuse to leave the child. I needed to get one or two things and contact a shady individual I had met years earlier. He has called New Zealand his home for the last five or so years. Making a living from art. But his real talent lay in forgery. I needed a child's passport in a hurry. I also needed time to make travel plans.
The trip and arrangements took me just under three hours. Clutching a small pharmacy bag in my hand with 'kids medicine' in, I made a point of saying goodnight to the reception lady. Once upstairs I did a quick safety check. Then with my pistol safely tucked under my pillow, I fell asleep next to the sleeping/drugged child. Of course sleep is a luxury, especially as time was against us. Soon as the police hunt starts, things would get tricky. So at the crack of dawn I was up and trying my hand at hairdressing. By breakfast I was out the door and my shopping spree began.

Unlocking the motel room door quietly, I peeped in. Apart from the annoying loud soapy been played on the TV, everything else seemed the same. I had deliberately left the TV on, for just incase the child woke up and decided to yell out for help.
Putting my shopping bags down, I set about pouring myself a stiff whisky. That in hand, I strolled over to the chair next to the bed. Sitting down with my feet resting up, I took a slug of the rich liquid. Mmmh nice that hit the spot. Shutting my eyes for a few moments I let my mind relax.
I was mentally and physically drained. This mornings exercise had been quite intense. Shopping for boy clothes was a unique experience. I just hope they all bloody fit. Actually now that I think of it, the last forty-eight hours have been intense.
Persuading the child to leave her families camping spot with me and then frog marching / dragging her for thirty odd kilometers through the dense bush had not been an easy feat. Especially once her initial shocked state turned into panic and aggression. She kept trying to bolt and put up a hell of a fight. Deep down I had to admit that I was impressed. In desperation when all forms of threats and coaxing did not work, an old fashion thrashing with my belt to her rear end did the trick. Although in hindsight I now realize that I did not have to hit her quite so hard. I will try to remember that for future. I felt a tiny prickle of guilt when I saw the belt marks on her bare butt while I was drying her off. I had to wash the black die streaks off her body after dying her hair in the tub. Good thing I had her naked in the bath to start off with. Even better that she was unconscious through the whole episode. There is no doubt in my mind she would have put up a hell of a fight. From the short time I had to observe her, she seems quite a feisty little thing. Her mothers child alright.
With that thought in mind, after I dried her off as best as I could, I tucked her up in bed. But tied her hands behind her back and her ankles together. I did not gag her for incase she vomited. The tablets I had given her were an adult dose, so that fact concerned me slightly. But I had to make do with what I had at the time. Fortunately I always have a few of these tablets on me. They look like headache tablets, even with the correct markings on. So if I ever got searched, no one would ever suspect what they really were.
Yawning and stretching I drained the last of my drink. Fatigue was starting to set in. Best way to avoid it was a long hot shower, clean clothes and food.
Grabbing a change of clothes out of my bag, I headed off to the shower. The bathroom was fairly clean, I made a point of not leaving any evidences of my early morning hairdressing.
The shower felt so good. I let the hot high pressure water melt away the stress.


COURTNEY

My eyes felt like they had rocks in them, I struggled to get them open. The light was quite bright, annoyingly. I tried to move my arms. It took me a split second to realize my hands were tied up behind my back. Flash of memory came back to me. The feeling in the pit of my stomach was nauseating. My mind kept screaming at me, but my mouth was dry. I could feel my breathing getting louder and louder. I knew it was panic. It took all my inner strength to try and calm myself down. I needed to think. Trying to block out the violence I had witnessed was not going to happen easy. It had been horrific. Like scenes from a movie, not real life. My mind kept on shouting at me that it was all just a bad bad nightmare. After all this is New Zealand. Nothing bad ever happens here. But my inner voices did not agree with me. It happened. You saw it. You watched him do it. They all dead now. My Mum, Dad and little brother. Brutally murdered
Straightening my legs I realized that they too were tied together. This new information added to my increasing fear that I would be killed too. Pushing my panic to the side, I forced myself to concentrate. In the back ground I could hear a shower. In front of the bed against the wall, the TV was on, quite loud. Slowly I tried to turn over to my back. This was not comfortable, actually a bit painful and my bottom hurt, bruised no doubt from the thrashing he gave me. Turning over also caused the duvet to slip off my shoulders. Glancing down I realized that I did not have my t-shirt on. Then much to my horror it dawned on me that I was naked under the duvet.
I sensed his presences before I heard or saw him. He was standing in the door way rubbing his hair dry. He had changed into jeans and a casual polo top. He looked just as big and scary as he did yesterday in his kaki hunting gear. We stared at one another neither speaking. My throat was closing, I could feel it. I willed myself to calm down. He walked over to the bed. Picking up the pillow next to me, he retrieved a black pistol. I didn't even know it was there. Ignoring me, he ejected the magazine and then clipped it back in. Then shoved it into his waist band. If his intentions were to scare me further, it worked. I froze to the spot

“Good morning Courtney, are you hungry and thirsty?”
I nodded yes in reply, not trusting my voice.
“Ok here is the deal, I am going to untie your hands and feet.”
He walked over casually towards me. I did not see when or where he got the knife from. I only noticed it when the blade flicked up. My smart ass mouth wanted to tell him that flick knives are illegal in New Zealand. But I didn't. I kept my eyes glued to the blade. When he flipped me over onto my stomach I almost pee myself from fright. It was totally unexpected. I felt the duvet slip down my back
“Lie still, the knife is sharp and accidents happen easily.”
I winced inwardly, at the memory of my Mum and what the Taniwha did to her back with a knife.
The relief feeling once he had cut my hands and feet loose was instant. But was quickly replaced with dread. I could feel his hot skin against my back as he pinned me down. I lay still, waiting. My eyes squished close, panic rising.
I could feel his breath on my ear and hear him play with the flick knife.
“Right Courtney here is the thing. I'm going to have to trust you and you are going to have to do exactly what I tell you to do. If you don't, I will be adding more marks to those you already have on your rear end. Understand?”
His voice was low and menacing.
“Yes.”
I whispered.
The thought of all the dreadful things I had heard happening to kids at the hands of pedophiles made me gasp for breath.
“Right, I have put some clothes out for you. I will give you five minutes to get dress.”
With that I felt him move and then I heard him walked out the room closing the door.
I tried to rush out of bed, but my body was stiff and my legs felt jelly. Grabbed the clothes stumbling into the bathroom, slamming the bolt shut, I plonked onto the toilet.
“Phew just in time.”
I had the biggest pee. In my head I could hear the clock ticking, but somethings you just can't rush. The pee kept on coming. I sighed, relieved that my bladder was empty.

The knock on the door startled me. I was still in a trance, staring at the mirror.
“Your five minutes are up! I'll give you three more and then I'm kicking the door down.”
The deep voice on the other-side of the door snapped me out of the daze I was in.
Quick as I could move I dressed in the unfamiliar clothes. Not bother putting socks shoes or hoody on, I bolted out the bathroom.
He was sitting casually on the bed, back against the wall, hands on his head and legs stretched out.
“Well that took long enough.”
“Sorry, I had a big pee and then got a fright when I went to wash my hands. My hair, and the clothes.....I look like a boy. Why?”
“Well that is the plan. Its your disguise.”
“But but, do I really have to wear boy jocks....thats just gross.”
Looking up, I saw what could possibly be an almost smile. But he concealed it quickly
“All the clothes are brand new and yes, you have to wear the jocks. There was no way I was going to shop in the girls underwear section. Anyway its not that bad. It might help you get into character. Because from now until I say so, you are a boy, my pretend son. Understand?”
“Yes.”
“Alright then, I've packed up. Once we've check out, I'll buy you something to eat. Courtney, don't try and run. I will get you every time and I will hurt you. Trust me on this. I kill people for a living. Taking down a disobedient little girl would be child play! Understand?”
The shocked horrified expression on my face must have been enough confirmation. Because he did not push me for an answer.
My hands shook, I struggled to get my shoes, socks and hoody on.
Timidly I followed him to the reception. The lady asked me how I was feeling. I did not hear what his reply was. I was too busy trying to concentrate on breathing. My brain was on overdrive and I felt faint.
I felt his hand on my arm as he gently pulled me along to the parked red ute. Clipping my seatbelt on automatically, I realized I recognized the car from yesterday.That seemed like a life time ago.
Driving in silence, I peered out the window as the rural scenery flashed by.
Signage indicating a restaurant up ahead appeared out of nowhere .
The car started to slow down. Parking a wee distance from the exit, he switched the engine off.
“Ok Courtney, lets go and eat.”
He climbed out the car and starting walking towards the doors, not waiting for me. I followed him nervously.
“Table for two please!”
“This way sir. Would you like to eat out on the deck or inside? Its a lovely day today isn't it. Are you over on a holiday?”
The young waitress jabbered on and on. I kept my mouth shut, listening to his clip short answers. Apparently we were tourist from the UK. We have only been in the country for a few days and our and next destination was Wellington.
It was lunch time, but he ordered us each a full breakfast. I did not care. I was hungry and would eat anything at this stage.
While we waited for our food, I kept myself busy looking around at the décor. He checked his phone and sent txt's. We didn't wait long
“Here we go, two full breakfasts with orange juice. Is there anything else I can get you?”
“Yes, my son would like some tomato sauce and I would like hollandaise sauce, and the check now please.”
“ Very good sir, coming right up.”
I wolfed down my meal. Hardly taking a breather. It felt like I had not eaten in days.
“Was that good?”
He asked smiling at me.
“Yes thank you. Can I ask you some questions?”
I asked, hesitantly, not sure what his reaction would be.
He shook his head.
“In the car, not here.”
I nodded my head in reply.
He ate slower than I did. I sat back fidgeting with the cuff of my hoodys' sleeves.
“Don't fidget!”
“Sorry”
I shoved my hands into my hoodys' pockets and looked down at the pattern on the table cloth.
“Right, lets go.”
We stood up simultaneously and both called out our thanks to our host.
Back in the car, I bided my time. Not sure when to ask him the hundred of questions I had.
“Ok Courtney, I'm sure you have hundreds of questions.”
My mouth dropped open as I gazed up at him. Was he a mind reader?
“Uhmmm, are you going to hurt or kill me?”
“Hurt, most properly, kill, hopefully not. It all depends on how good you are at following my instructions.”
“You said you kill people, are you like the man, that killed my family?”
“Yes and no. I don't kill innocent people. I'm an independent contract killer. My targets are normally very undesirable people.”
“Why was my family targeted?”
“Its a case of been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Unfortunately you are now what people in my profession would call a loose end. When they realize that you are alive, they will come looking for you. Basically Courtney, you are screwed either which way. If I left you, the local cops would have locked you up. Hopefully their forensic team would be good enough to figure out that you acted in self defenses and was a victim like your family. But the mess we left behind would take ages to sift through.”
“So what are you going to do with me?”
“That there honey is the million dollar question. I have no idea. At this stage my main focus is to get you the hell out of here and take you somewhere safe. I did not plan for this. But I can assure you my intentions was never to harm you or your family. I am not a pedophile. Just a well paid assassin.”
His grin was almost hypnotizing. I felt a wave of fear lift off me. Settling back, the lull of the drive and my full stomach, forced my eyes closed and into dream land.

MAX
Looking down at the sleeping child, I could not help but feel a sharp pang of guilt. Her life would never be the same and neither would mine!
Damn, what have I gotten myself into? A humongous fuck-up, that's what! I should have acted the moment I saw the photos of the four targets. It was a huge mistake turning that contract down, that was an error on my part. I should have known that they would offer it to someone else. Instead, I should have accepted the contract and then I could have contacted her and saved them. But the shock of seeing a photo of her after all these years and then the child....
No, actually if I really think about it, the real mistake I made was to believe her thirteen years ago, that she was going to get an abortion. She knew I was too messed up to be a parent. But I should have manned up. Its amazing how one mistake can multiply.
Well, now its time to man up. After all I am now a dad of a precocious pre-teenage daughter. Who does not realize our blood connection or that I would kill or be killed to keep her safe.
THE END
© Copyright 2015 L.S.Storm (l.s.storm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2047466-MaxHow-it-began