*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2047535-Bats
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Dark · #2047535
A dark Night story
Black leather claws creak in the dark and pull me out of my dream. Its so dark I can't tell when my eyes open. I hold my breath, Surely not here, not after all this time. I feel that familiar sensation of a shadow electrocuting my skin, "its him" my hands start to shake as I get to my feet as quietly as I can and duck into a compartment and break for an exit to the street. I hear its wings whip through the air cutting the distance between us, No. No. "Leave me alone!" I scream over my shoulder, the panic making my voice crack "I'm a good person!" And still the presence grows nearer. Tears start to snap off my face in the wind as I finally see the way out. An slimey ladder leading to the surface. I'll pass it and double back. I search for a sancturary to hide in until it passes, until he passes. I see a small opening in the tracks, and lower myself down as fast and quietly as I can. and wait. My heart is ripping a hole in my t shirt and the tears continue to fall. I try to slow my breathing, I close my eyes and force myself to go to my happy place, my calm place, my dark place. It envelops me and I start to feel the drug kick in, my head buzzes and a smile plays around my lips. My breathing slows my heart crawls, and I reach for the jagged piece of mirror I always keep with me, that reminds me of her. I see a small glint of it in the dark and lick the sharp edge carefully, feeling it between my taste buds. Remembering the taste of her youth. Then I feel a rat running past me, something has put the fear of death in it. I know he's here. I can smell him, but I wait for him to show itself, I wait. With my mirror gripped in my hand, slowly cutting into my palm, small traces of blood once again staining the glass. Sweat starts popping on my forehead flowing down into my eyes, I don't dare move to brush it away, it stings painfully soaking my eyeballs, I like it. Hours pass. Still there is no movement. No sound except the city above us. Days seem to pass, my muscles scream with pain and my spine seems it will never straighten again. The blood has dried in my hand making the mirror stick to it. Becoming part of me again. Silence. Darkness. Has it gone? Did he give up? Finally I stand, hours of stillness has caused my legs to move like rusty machinery. I blink and try to find him....not a sound nor a shadow.... I stand for another moment. Feeling the warm sickly air for his presence. Nothing. I'm alone. I beat the bat. I head back to the ladder to the street, shaking the rust off my legs on the way and tuck away my dark side once again. I look up and see the sun peaking through the holes of the cover. The end of darkness, light once again. Freedom. The cover is heavy but my heart grows light. I stick one arm outside to pull myself up and feel the cool air rustle against my skin and it sends a shiver of happiness down my spine. Another arm, and I just before I pull myself up, a gripping fear snatches my breath. What if he's been waiting, and I when I stick my head out I'll see its black rubbery claws and leather wings. Its too late to go back and I will not go back into the dark. I Slowly let my head emerge from the hole....No feet. No cape, just a little boy looking on with a curious expression on his face and an orange soda gripped in his chubby little fingers. I breath a sigh of relief.
"Orange soda sounds just right"
And I start to climb out of the sewer, freedom at last, out of that dark dirty place full of shadows where I lose myself. And I feel something brush my ankle. Then something hard clamps down on my leg, making me let out a currdeling scream of pain and fear. I scramble to find something to hold onto but my hands are still soaked in sweat. Its pulling me down, back down into the dark, nails digging into the pavement. its got me, its taking me down into the shadows, its pulling me down, its got me.....
© Copyright 2015 Jack Kelly (skyjuggler at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2047535-Bats