*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2047656-CLOSET-SKELETONS-part-II
Rated: GC · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2047656
Prompt:character starts new job and runs into someone they hadn't seen in a while.
Crashing at Ed's house that night, Darlene walked Ed into his trailer stumbling under his dead drunk weight and dumped him on his sofa. Cherie scoped the placed out and found a room well kept and the bed made with fresh linen. She lured Darlene in with her and the two settled in for the night. Darlene kicked her boots off slipping her wallet into one of them and slid under the covers next to Cherie. Tired and laying there in the dark, the two started a conversation,

"Did you know I was gay when I showed up on your doorstep?" Darlene asked. She thought of how her mind had been blown tonight when Cherie came out to her.

Cherie snorted, "Yes. Honey, I am ten years your senior, I have lived this lifestyle much longer than you. When you are like us you tend to be able to sense it better the more people you are around." Darlene mulled over that thought deciding it made sense.

Cherie reached for Darlene's hand and grabbed it to hold in her own,

"I am infatuated with you,ya know." She confessed. Darlene's heart fluttered as she whispered into the night,

"I'm in love with you too." Cherie smiled big to herself. They were both on cloud nine. After a moment of silence, Darlene inquired,

"So, does this mean we are officially a couple?"

"Yea. I like the sound of that." Replied Cherie.

"What about Jimmy?" Darlene wanted to know.

Cherie responded, "He doesn't know you are gay and he doesn't have to know about us."

Darlene gave Cherie's hand a squeeze.After a few minutes Cherie suddenly popped a question,

"Have you ever been with anyone intimately before?" Darlene blushed in the dark.

"No. The thought of being with a man was repulsive to me and I only came out of the closet the day I showed up on your doorstep." Answered Darlene.

Cherie's heart fluttered, "Really?"

"Yea. My family disowned me. That's why I was wandering around." Darlene's sadness could be heard in her voice. Cherie's heart ached for her pain. The older woman snuggled closer to the younger one, laying her head on Darlene's sleeveless t-shirted torso. Cherie whispered into the black night,

"I love you Darlene." And just like that the couple slipped into slumber as peaceful as you please.

Following Cherie and Darlene's union, in the weeks to come, Darlene found herself receiving little tokens of love from Cherie. The girlfriends were swooning for each other. Working around the house, Darlene found a love note amongst the dirty dishes she was about to wash once and another time she found a school picture of Cherie as a child she had left for Darlene underneath the vacuum cleaner. Cherie even made a point to be affectionate with Darlene every chance she got though careful to avoid her husband discovering anything. Jimmy and Darlene walked out of the house in the mornings to go to work and Cherie would kiss Jimmy only as a wife could but when he was out the door and earshot, Cherie would also steal a kiss from Darlene only as a lover would. Some nights Cherie would sneak up and go to lay on her living room couch with Darlene. They would snuggle and hold each other in their arms through the night until just before dawn and then Cherie would get up so her husband wouldn't have to see them.

By the end of the first month, Darlene had decided to treat her girlfriend for a change. Darlene decided to take Cherie out on a date, anywhere the older bisexual wanted to go. Cherie chose Nashville. There was a gay bar there she really liked and Darlene had never been so off they went.

Cherie told her husband she and Darlene were having a girl's night out to which Jimmy okay'd saying,

"Have fun!" He watched out the window with squinted eyes narrowed in suspicion as the two climbed into Cherie's pickup truck and took off.

Arriving at the bar, Darlene could hear the beat of music from outside and as she gazed in wide eyed wonder at all the strobe lights Cherie took her by the hand and announced,

"They celebrate Pride Month here! Every June the gay lesbian bisexual trans gender community gets to take pride in themselves and who they are, what they stand for. Special celebrations last the entire month just for us!" Darlene beamed. She hadn't known about pride month but she wanted to hear more! She was realizing there was a whole new world out there for her!

Stepping into the bar, Darlene couldn't believe the people that were there! Gay men and lesbian women, trans vestites even! Some of the men looked quite feminine all dolled up in makeup, jewels, and the attire. Some women were so butch that Darlene wasn't sure some of them weren't men! The bar was divided into two rooms. One had tables with a bar to serve food and drinks. Scented candles were the centerpiece of each table. The next room was a large dance floor with a DJ and music system in one corner and a bar for serving alcohol in another.

Darlene and Cherie started out sitting at a table. Darlene was jittery. She'd never been in a place like this and there was so many people! Darlene raised her glass of bourbon to Cherie and toasted,

"Happy one month anniversary Babe!" Cherie beamed and chinked her wine glass to Darlene's. Darlene reached across the table and kissed Cherie.

Wanting to dance, Cherie grabbed Darlene's hand and drug her onto the dance floor.

"I love this song!" She exclaimed as she started gyrating in front of Darlene. Darlene looked around at the countless people dancing around them and pretty soon she was feeling the rhythm of the music and though she'd never danced before, she figured it quickly and felt amazing doing it!

Half a dozen songs later, Cherie decided to get drinks. She was red faced and breathing hard from all the dancing and deciding it was a good idea to relax for a moment, Darlene went back to sit at their table. While she waited for Cherie, Darlene gazed around the bar. Two tables to the left, Darlene saw a male gay couple kissing. One of the men seemed like a plain and average joe while the other donned leather attire, makeup, and wild blonde hair. Both were young between twenty and thirty years of age. They kissed like crazy. The more Darlene watched the more she realized it looked like to her that they were going to suck each other's face off. It was in this moment Darlene discovered that though she were a lesbian herself, it repulsed her to see gay men.

Towards the end of the night, Cherie and Darlene were simply enjoying the music and relaxing. A soft rock band was playing and they were pretty good. The atmosphere in the bar had calmed down as it was nearing closing time and the band was playing mellow tunes. During intermission, the band went backstage for a break only it took them a solid hour to return and when they did they announced that a band member had got sick and unless there was a volunteer from the audience to play guitar, the band was going to have to call it a night. At that moment, out of instinct, Darlene raised her hand and stood up. She didn't have a clue where she had suddenly got her guts but spontaneously she was volunteering. The band pulled her up on stage and she introduced herself. The band gave Darlene some pointers and after a few minutes they were playing again! With Darlene right there with them strumming guitar! Cherie couldn't believe it! She hadn't even known Darlene could play! She loved that Darlene had gotten a stroke of bravery and on this night of all nights! It was a real treat for Cherie.

After another hour or so the bar had to close for the night so the band had to pack up. They gave Darlene the guitar she'd played and the band members had even signed it with their autographs! Darlene received a lifetime pass to attend any of the band's events and after thanking her again with a round of hands, everyone said goodbye. Darlene and Cherie got in their truck and headed home. Between all the drinks and the thrill of playing with the band, Darlene was in a daze. Cherie was extra excited.

"I didn't even know you could play! You're more than a groupie, you actually saved the night and played with the band!" Gushed Cherie.

She gaped at Darlene while driving and Darlene chuckled. She shook her head and ran a hand through her hair.

"I'm surprised I did it myself!" Darlene enthralled.

Cherie's eyes bugged, "How long have you played?!" She exclaimed.

Darlene shrugged, "Since I was a teenager. I learned to play by ear watching my uncle play in church. I can also play the drums and piano. I've played those since I was a little kid. I'd like to learn to play the harmonica. Pretty much everybody in my family can play something. My uncle plays guitar, piano, and the mandolin. My mom can play the spoons!" Exclaimed Darlene.

Cherie burst out laughing. She couldn't believe it!

"I can sing too." Darlene remembered, "I had the chance to sing with the Birchridge boys a couple of years ago, but I chickened out."

Cherie almost ran off the road at this and had to correct herself. "Explain. Please!" requested the excited driver.

Darlene smiled reminiscing. "They had an event down in Scottsville and we were lucky enough to get to go. A few of us from church got to singing and playing. Well, they liked my voice and asked my mom if I could sing with them in their next event a couple of weeks later. My mom said of course, it was an honor to be invited! We were both excited. She took me out clothes shopping and bought me an outfit that I really liked. Denim bell-bottoms and a button up shirt with flared sleeves. I hated wearing dresses but since this wasn't church she allowed it. The night before the event I was so nervous! I don't know what got into me, I Ieft. I went and visited a distant relative. My great aunt Imogene. We picked berries for pie and I got to see her wring a chicken's neck for fried chicken for supper. She just marched right up to it, snatched it up, and slung it through the air like a lasso until we heard the sickening crunch. Anyway, the night of the event came and I couldn't be found. I stood the birchridge boys up. I don't know what they ever did that night but boy! When I got back home! My mama was so mad! She swore never again!" Finished Darlene, a thoughtful expression on her face.

Cherie listened intently. It was like Darlene had taken her to another world. Silence filled the vehicle and Cherie realized Darlene must be sad so she spoke up, "Well, I had a wonderful time for our date night! It was truly amazing!" Cherie told patting Darlene's knee as she then gave her a quick peck on the cheek.

Darlene smiled sweetly and held her hand, "Happy anniversary Babe."

Soon the fall months fell upon them and the weather got cooler. Out in the fields one day, Jimmy sat down on the tailgate of his truck with Darlene. The last of his tobacco had been dealt with and sent off. Darlene hadn't foreseen this day coming. Jimmy knew she had alot on her mind so giving her a nudge with his elbow, he spoke, "Ya know, this time every year I usually end up going to work at the furniture factory. I can put a good word in for you if you like."

Darlene looked up at him truly touched by his kindness. Giving a thoughtful nod, Darlene answered, "I'd really appreciate that Jimmy, thank you."

Climbing into the truck cab, Darlene wondered what it would be like working in a furniture factory.

For the weekend, Darlene up and decided to go on an outing of her own, alone. She did her chores around the house pondering it. When she left she didn't bother telling Cherie and Jimmy. She liked her privacy in the matter.

Going on foot, Darlene walked down the road back the way she had originaly come. Darlene was curious and a knot was forming in her gut. After a while the house came into view. The plan was to just walk by. Not say anything or get too close. Darlene thought of her family often. Wondered what they were up to since she had left. Her heart ached for her mother and she even missed her brothers and their step dad. As for her biological father, Darlene didn't think of him much. She figured she would go for a visit some time but she didn't know when considering he'd forbade her.

As Darlene neared the house she saw her younger brother, Lee playing in the front yard. He was ten years old. His black hair was getting long and untidy. Darlene found this amusing. Lee only ever let Darlene cut and fix his hair. Sometimes he wouldn't even allow their mother to wash it so Darlene would have to. It was a love he had only for his big sister and Darlene cherished it.

Darlene's smile quickly faded off her face however once Lee spotted her walking down the road. Instantly he scowled at her and ran to the driveway. He gathered a bunch of rocks in his shirt and started throwing them at Darlene yelling swear words as he did so,

"Whore! Go to hell! Bitch!"

Darlene was stunned. She turned to go back where she had come from but as she did so a few of the rocks her baby brother threw at her made contact. One hit her square in the shoulder blades of her back and another in the side of the head just above her ear. Now she was angry. Any heartache she had melted into cold heartedness.

Frowning back at him in anger, Darlene yelled back at her little brother, "Punk! Where's Mama?" Darlene was leaving so Lee simply spit on the ground at her.

Walking back to Cherie's house, all Darlene thought of was if that had been her, Reba would have wore her butt out! Whatever her family believed, Darlene was definitely not welcome. She imagined them sitting around talking bad about her or refusing to acknowledge her at all.

Stepping into the house again, Darlene ran into Cherie and Jimmy who were just wondering where she was at. Cherie's eyes widened and she grabbed Darlene while Jimmy got a wet washcloth. Darlene had been so upset she hadn't noticed she was bleeding from the wound on her head.

The following monday, Darlene walked into the furniture factory to apply for a job. She was dressed nice and Jimmy said she could use him for a reference. Darlene sat in the manager's office waiting for the factory boss to come in to interview her.

While she waited, Darlene watched out a glass wall of the office at the employees working. She saw people sitting at sewing machines doing cushions, sewing seams and stuffing material with cotton. An assembly line constructed iron and wooden frames for tables and seats. Another station was applying varnish and buttons to the frames and padding of the furniture.

Darlene was intrigued. She saw the workers and thought to herself, surely she would be able to do this as well.

The door opened at that moment and a nice dressed man walked in wearing a suit. He turned to Darlene to introduce himself and both froze. Darlene and the boss were second cousins. Their grandmothers were sisters. Darlene even double checked his name badge to make sure.

Factory Management: Chase Differ.

"Darlene!" The employer declared. Darlene grinned and the two embraced.

They sat down and Darlene spoke, "I came to see about getting a job but I never expected you to be the boss!"

Chase grinned with a nod, "Been working here since I was sixteen. Four years now. I've managed the factory the past two years. The position kinda just got landed in my lap."

Darlene could hardly believe her relative worked as the boss. "Well, how about it then? Have you got any spots open I could try working at?" Darlene inquired solemnly.

Chase nodded out the glass wall, "Yep. You're as good as hired. I got a spot right there with the varnishing and buttons. It's easy. I can't turn family away."

Darlene pumped the air, "Yes! Alright! Thank you Chase! I really appreciate it!"

Chase waved it off and smiling asked, "So how've you been Darlene? Ain't seen much of your side of the family since our grandmas passed away five years ago."

Darlene shrugged going solemn, "Mama kicked me out. Family has disowned me I reckon. I'm gay you know."

Chase shook his head, "Ain't nothing wrong with being gay. Our family is stuck in the old ways. You're still family to me and I don't care. I'm giving you a job regardless."

Darlene smiled softly, "I appreciate that Chase."

Chase nodded matter of factly. The two talked for the rest of the evening, catching up. By the end of the shift, Chase told Darlene to start work the next day bright and early. They shook on it then hugged as family. It had been too long since they had seen each other and it was nice considering Chase needed an employee and Darlene a job. The reunion was exceptionally nice.

© Copyright 2015 aarghmanda (aarghmanda at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2047656-CLOSET-SKELETONS-part-II