*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2047817-On-the-Outside-Looking-in
Rated: E · · Spiritual · #2047817
Sermon for upcoming sunday
On the inside looking out
Mark 7: 24-30
Then Jesus left and went away to the territory near the city of Tyre. He went into a house and did not want anyone to know he was there, but he could not stay hidden. A woman, whose daughter had an evil spirit in her, heard about Jesus and came to him at once and fell at his feet. The woman was a Gentile, born in the region of Phoenicia in Syria. She begged Jesus to drive the demon out of her daughter. But Jesus answered, “Let us first feed the children. It isn’t right to take the children’s food and throw it to the dogs.” “Sir,” she answered, “even the dogs under the table eat the children’s leftovers!” So Jesus said to her, “Because of that answer, go back home, where you will find that the demon has gone out of your daughter!” She went home and found her child lying on the bed; the demon had indeed gone out of her.
We are in the midst of selling my mother’s house. It has been a difficult time for all of us that grew up in that home. I was five years old when I began my journey there. I was the oldest of what would be eight children. There were adventures galore. For example soon after getting there my brother and I put our sister in a refrigerator box and pushed her down the steps. She was only two at the time. She was without choosing the first woman astronaut. Eventually we would all grew up. I can still see myself as a young child with my nose pressed up to the window and wondering when I would be big enough. I longed to be with the kids who were on the school bus. I knew of the trauma of sickness. My brother became mentally ill when I was 16 years old. I looked forward to knowing healing and contentment as we left home and went our separate ways.
Mark was the author of this scripture. He loved sharing about his hero Jesus Christ and the mighty work that he did. He shared a story that was filled with adventure. You never knew what to expect next. He would use the words “kai” which meant and along with “Euthos” immediately. He shared with his audience a messiah who was unassuming. Jesus was more comfortable being hidden in the background. In several passages he asks those healed and encouraged to keep what he did a secret. We enter into the mystery of the power of God as was relayed to Peter by the apostle Mark. In past time this “anointed one” (Christ) had foundational understanding in the reign of King David, who delivered Israel from the enemies of God. We read in the prophets words that Jesus, himself quotes that the messiah will be for those who dwell in darkness, a savior of those in need of healing and hope.
The scripture speaks to us about our own longing to be in on the secret of what Jesus was preparing for us. We long for a place called home, where God’s love is ever present and available. This woman has heard about what is happening in the context of Jesus ministry and longs to be a part of what is going on. Her daughter is sickly and that makes her feel disconnected. She longs for someone who can show her the way to healing and hope.
She comes from a place that was a part of Canaan. It was the same place where the Jews were supposed to take over after they came out of Egypt, delivered from slavery. The Israelite neglected to capture this territory and later on this would come to haunt the Israelites. When the Maccabees (Jewish leaders) were seeking deliverance from oppressors, these people from Canaan were fighting against them. The Jews were bitter enemies with these people. Later this same place Alexander the great had conquered bringing to this place and Israel heavy Greek influences.
She comes into the mystery of what Messiah meant. The Jewish people were very sure that Messiah meant that they would be delivered and overcome the evil oppressors. They were the children to whom Jesus came. She asks Jesus for help. It is against the custom of the time for this to happen. One of the prayers of many Jewish men was “thanking God that they were not a woman”. Jesus calls her a dog in the manner of speaking about her in relationship to the children of God he has come to. Many people try to take the edge off what Jesus says by calling the dog a pet or small dog. Nevertheless I think you can agree, being called a dog, whether small or not is uncomplimentary. She replies to Mark’s action packed adventure by stating that even the dogs eat the scraps under the children’s table. It is through her words that a door has opened. This was the first time that Jesus comes into Gentile territory to do work there. Jesus hears the words of this woman and says thanks for coming into the house where I am staying. Your daughter is well. The demon has been cast out.
After this Jesus as messiah was seen in a radically different way. Here was a woman who many would be considered a terrorist for her involvement with a people who were enemies to Israel. When we look at the whole scope of what Mark shares about we see reflected the power (dynamite) of God. Jesus has a way of blowing to bits the comfortable religious understanding of the people around him. It is not enough to be on the outside looking in. We need only consider how the religious leaders of Jesus times related to the people Jesus ministered to. They saw the poor, sick and outcast as an opportunity to share with “the children of Israel” the consequences that result from not doing God’s will. Over time they will say that Jesus is the one who is demon possessed. How else could they maintain their authority over the people Jesus came to save? Mark has no regret about what he shares. This is Jesus after all. Who knows what to expect next. How much longer can persons be on the outside looking in?
The disciples along with us hear this radical message. How can life in any way be the same? We can be like this woman on the outside looking in or get into the kingdom and look for people to bring to Jesus who will share with the world what the power of God is all about. Consider what that means in relation to the religious leaders of our own time. It still can be easy to target persons, so that salvation of the chosen few is left intact. I recall many years reading in Christianity Today, “the church has Aids”. At first glance it seems heretical and yet it is a reminder that people like this woman want to know God, who will lead the way? Our hymn of invitation is….
© Copyright 2015 drifter (peterson4279 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2047817-On-the-Outside-Looking-in