*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2048710-LEON--Chapter-Two
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #2048710
When they fell and could no longer stand, their brothers helped them and strength returned
Chapter Two



         “Right you lot! Boxes marked with an ‘A’ go in room ‘A’. Boxes marked with a ‘B’ go in room…Do I really need to explain this to you bastards?!”
         Roberts yells echoed about the halls as the men carried supplies to the specified rooms. The hall now a bustle with people who genuinely seemed glad to be back.
         “Robert!” called Bernie and the giant turned to him.
         “Whassup Bern?”
         Bernie smiled. “I appreciate your enthusiasm. However if you’d please curb your language a little. And your approach is perhaps…”
         Robert snorted loudly, “If you want to coddle them, be my guest. They need a general.”
         “You mean an angry obnoxious cantankerous barstool like yourself?” said Bern.
         “HA! Absolutely.”
         “Robert’s right.” Said Leon. He’d appeared at the door to his office for the first time in four days. Bern and Robert exchanged glances. “Would you please stop doing that.” Leon laughed.
         “How are…”
         “Don’t concern yourself with me. I’m doing fine, another day I think.”
         Bernie looked at Leon’s hands; there was a slight shake in them but nothing compared to their first night here.          Robert noticed it too.
         “Robert!”
         He looked up.
         “Continue your work. Whip these boys back into shape. And Bern?”
         Bern nodded.
         “Keep Robert in check. Oversee things run smoothly.”
         Both men nodded at Leon who smiled before retreating, gingerly, back into his office and closing the door.
         They stood in silence for a moment.
         “He is getting better Robert.”
         Robert nodded, “I know.”
         “Sirs!”
         The two turned to see a fresh faced young man saluting them.
         Robert gazed, wide eyed, at the young fellow.
         Bernie answered the young man, “Mr Macabee. What say?”
         Macabee finished his salute but still stood rigid. “The last of the supplies have been brought down Sir. The front is ready for it’s re-opening.”
         “Very good Mr Macabee. Please do inform our civilian guests that they can assume their posts.”
         Again Marshall saluted. “Already underway sir.”
         “Good man.”
         Dropping his salute, and his gaze for just a moment, “Permission sir?”
         “Yes?”
         “Please. Master Macabee. Marshall would also be fine.”
         Bernie smiled fondly at Marshall. “Of course Macabee. Please return to your duties.”
         Marshall Macabee nodded and headed off towards the lower levels of the headquarters.
         Bernie noticed Robert’s expression. “Oh, snap your jaw shut Robert.”
         He did, before opening it again, “He looks just like…”
         I know.”


*



         Leon opened his office door and for the first time in what felt like an age, he smiled. Familiar faces walked the hall, busy doing whatever it was they were, smiling pleasantly when they saw Leon.
         He felt stronger than he had in years, though at the same time still a little tender.
         Closing his office door a young man marched up to him and saluted. “Sir. Khris Potrer. We met at…”
         “I remember you Potrer,” Leon smiled at him, “and please don’t salute. We are all equals here.”
         Potrer dropped his arm then seemed to suppress a bow.
         Leon smiled, “How can I help you Potrer?”
         Again Potrer had to resist saluting, “Sir,”
         He corrected him, “Leon.”
         “Si…Le..Leon…sir! The general asked that you meet him in the conference room when you “emerged” sir.”
         Leon stared at him. “The General?”
         Potrer nodded stiffly, “General Doof..”
         Leon placed his hand on Potrers shoulder. “Look at me son.”
         Potrer took his time in doing so.
         “His name is Robert. You may also call him: Bob; fat Bob; Big Silly Bugger or plain old ‘Bastard’. Are we clear?”
         Potrer stammered, “I, well, sir?”
         Leon smiled at him and patted him playfully on the shoulder. “Continue your duties Khris.”
         Potrer nodded and couldn’t help but salute before rushing off towards the lower levels.
         Leon smiled and laughed softly, shaking his head. With sober eyes he gazed around their old HQ, once again bustling, a sight he thought he’d never see again.
         Slowly he headed towards the conference room, revelling in the familiar faces dutiable hurrying around him.
         The door was open and the occupants stopped their conversation upon seeing him.
         “Leon.”
         “As you were, General.”
         Robert looked embarrassed.
         Bernie was in the corner, beaming at him. Robert, too, after he’d sat down seemed thrilled.
         “How are…”
         “Fighting fit Bern. Thank you.”
         The two men stared at him.
         Leon sighed a laugh before stretching his hand out. It was steady as a rock.
         Behind him the door closed.
         “Thank you Marshall.” said Bernie.
         For a moment there was silence as Bernie stared at Leon; Robert seemed to not be able to look at him. Finally Bernie seemed convinced. “Glad to have you back Leon.”
         Robert looked up at him and dared to smile.
         Leon smiled also. “Thank you my friends. And may I take this opportunity to apologise for my behaviour.”
         There was a suppressed noise behind him which he decided to notice, “To you most of all Marshall,” he said, turning to the young man.
         Marshall smiled, nodded but didn’t reply.
         “So,” said Leon, turning back to Robert and Bern, “Things seem to be going well under your watch. What can I do to help?”
         Robert sat up in his chair and leaned on the table, Bernie sat down at the opposite end of the room and also leaned on the table.
         It was Bernie who spoke. “Let’s fill in the gaps first. Robert’s troops have reassembled and joined us here.” he glanced at Robert, “They seem a diligent and loyal group. Many of your group have joined us too, though according to Master Macabee here; a lot could not be located.”
         Leon turned to him.
         Marshall seemed hesitant to speak, “We sought out all we could, sirs.”
         “You acted commendably Marshall.” said Bernie, “We will find our remaining brothers in due course.”
         Marshall seemed to want to say more but instead retreated to the wall and lowered his head.
         “So…” said Leon, “We find the others.”
         Robert looked at him gravely.
         Bernie sighed, “No Leon. We find the others. I mean no offence but for one: you are still recovering; and for another: your face is too well known. We will have much better success without your help on this matter.”
         Leon nodded with as much derision he could muster. “Res Ipsa Loquitur.”
         Bernie stood up and walked towards him. He went to speak but looked up at Marshall first.
         Leon pre-empted him, “You can say what you need to in front of him.”
         Bernie seemed unsure but continued anyway, “We need you Leon. But we need you at your best. You may be feeling better but you’re not at your best.”
         Dangerously, Leon growled, “Bernard…”
         “Look me In the eye and tell me you are.”
         There had been a rage building within Leon but staring up into the pure green eyes of his friend he knew he was right. He knew because it had been a lifetime since he’d last seen that glint in his own eye.
         Leon sat back in his chair. “Very well. I leave it in your capable hands.” he stood up. “Please keep me informed as to the goings on. I shall rejoin you when I am ready.”
         Bern stood up and beamed at Leon. “Through the fire’s of hell; crawled out the deepest dung heap: you still manage to come off sounding magnanimous.”



         Leon woke drearily. He’d fallen asleep at his desk again. The map that had been on the wall was now lying crumpled on the floor. He’d been studying it for hours the previous evening trying to plan their next moves. Though once again he’d become discouraged, and then angry.
         He was feeling more useless by the day. Bernie still insisted he keep a low profile, despite Leon knowing he was ready to rejoin the fight. He guessed the others had continued to find the rest of their group, the corridor outside seemed endlessly busy.
         The noise…where was the noise?
         Leon leapt up as quick as he could and rushed for the door. As he neared it the only sound he could hear was a single muffled voice. He opened the door to a packed hallway, every back facing him, all eyes on the television high in the corner of the room.
         As he sidled through the crowd which parted effortlessly he heard, “…for crimes against the state. The Major, earlier today, had this to say.”
         Leon reached the front, stood next to Robert and Bernie and looked up. “In this day and age we witness and experience much hardship. There is not a day goes by that I do not wish it would end. This is why it brings me such great joy to announce the depleted presence of the criminal faction ran by the ruthless Leon.” no one in the room said a thing, they seemed to have forgotten how to speak. “It would indeed appear that these terrorists have ceased their activity and that is indeed a cause for celebration. However, we must sometimes take the good with the bad. Some of this menace still exists in our fair city and are quickly being rounded up. I wish there were another way, so it is with a heavy heart that I announce the execution of twenty-three of our once proud citizens at noon today. God be with them.”
         Leon’s heart lurched at the words. The picture of the Mayor left the screen and was replaced by a news reporter, behind him images hooded figures being led out of large bus and towards a clearing. Leon was sure he recognised half of them.
         He shook his head and ran back through the crowd to his office.
         “Leon?”
         Moments later he came out the office, swinging his sword over his shoulder as he ran back through the crowd towards the exit.
         “Leon wait!” yelled Robert.
         “There’s no time.” he yelled back.
         “It’s a trap Leon!” Bernie screamed.
         Leon stopped for a moment and turned to him, looking at his friend he also noticed one of the men on the T.V having his hood removed. Bernie turned in time to see Sam the bartender leave the screen.
         “I know! But they’re trying to lure you there! They know you’ll try to save them.”
         Leon stared coldly at Bernie before saying calmly, “And they’re right.”
         Robert seethed, “Right then! Men. To arms!”
         “NO!” cried Leon, “I do this alone. Stay here.” and he set off running.
         “Why?”
         There was no reply, Leon was in the elevator heading down.
         Robert glanced at Bernie, “Do we follow anyway?”
         Bernie glared at the elevator door for a moment before turning to the TV. “He’s made his choice.”
         “But Bern, you kept saying he wasn’t ready.”
         Slowly Bernie shook his head, his eyes still on the television, “I wanted him to decide when he was ready.”
         Robert wasn’t sure he understood but turned back to look at the television. Again there was silence in the room apart from the reporter’s voice.
         “The criminals are now being led into the square. Once again we remind you that this is a live execution, performed by Clangeroids so as to absolve any human atrocities, and that we urge everyone of a sensitive nature who would be offended or uncomfortable with the graphic scenes to follow should stop viewing now.”
         Collectively their hearts were racing. Five people were now being knelt in the square in front of five Clangeroids. One of them was…
         “My God! That’s a kid…”
         “Hurry Leon…”
         “The escorts are now leaving the square. All of the accused today have been offered and refused their last rights and meals. The Pastor chancellor will now recite a short prayer as the hour approaches.”
         A man in black robes appeared on the screen and recited a funeral blessing.
         Robert clenched his fists.
         “And may God have mercy on their souls…”
         The picture went back to the square as the Clangeroids took aim.
         Bernie thought he could already hear the gunfire and glanced at the clock.
         Something landed at the clangy’s feet, who looked down at it a moment before it exploded. The room erupted in cheers as the picture shook and crackled and a red haired man landed where the Clangy’s had been.
         “My God! We’re under attack!” the announcer called. “Someone’s here! The guard…oh my god. Run! Help u…”
         The sound of gunfire and fighting and panic ended suddenly to be replaced with static.
         Again there ringed silence. The men began mumbling and exchanging worried looks.
         Bernie and Robert hadn’t taken their eyes of the screen.
         “What now?” Robert whispered.
         Bernie closed his eyes and sighed, “We wait.”





         What little light that crept into the hallway had all but diminished. Robert was pacing the hall. Bernie stood on the far side of the room, one eye on the television, the other on the elevator. A few of the group had lingered in the hall, the others had retired for the evening.
         Thump, thump, thump, thump. Thump, thump, thump.
         “Grrrrrarg.”
         “Robert, that’s not helping. Sit down, please.”
         Robert glared at him. “I give a damn if it helps. It’s been too long. We need to be out there.”
         Bernie sighed, “That would be counter productive. Look at the telly Robert. It’s shown nothing since the execution. If Leon had been captured or killed they would have announced it immediately.”
         Robert growled his displeasure and thumped over to a seat. “We should’a gone with him.”
         “He knew what he was doing. He knew that if anything happened to him we’d be here to carry on.”
         Marshall was sat on the floor, resting his arms on his knee’s. His head jolted upwards.
         Bernie smiled kindly at him, “You’re all tired. Waiting here won’t change anything. Please feel free to retire.”
         “I’m fine, thank you, sir.” whispered Marshall.
         They sat in silence.
         Then through the glass doors they noticed the elevator light turn on. The men all got to their feet and readied themselves for a fight.
         “Potrer, ready the alarm.” said Bernie. Potrer moved to the back of the room to a switch on the wall.
         The light on the elevator changed from down to up. They waited. No sooner had they opened than Leon rushed through them. With huge relief the men rushed forward and opened the glass doors. Leon charged past them barely looking at them and straight into his office. The others looked worried but followed him.
         In the light of the office they saw Leon drinking deeply from a water bottle. His clothes were torn and singed and covered in blood. Bernie bid the rest of the group who remained to retire and they did. Marshall looked around as if not wanting to leave so Bernie beckoned him inside. Leon was still trying to catch his breath as the three men edged forward.
         Leon finished the bottle and collapsed forward on the desk. Bernie went to go to him but Leon help up a hand. Slowly he turned and sat on the edge of the desk. Looking up at them he whispered, “I’m sorry to have kept you waiting.”
         There was no trace of a smile on his face, and no one in the room liked his tone.
         Bernie stepped forward. “What happened?”
         Leon accepted another bottle of water from Robert and drank again, “How much did you see?” he shook his head, “I didn’t save them all.” he whispered.
         Their hearts sank. “Leon, you did your best.”
         “They were waiting for me.” he stared up at Bernie, “We knew that. But they were going to execute them anyway. They had a hundred Clangy’s off screen, it was all I could do to get to them in time. Guards were outside, tanks, air support…”
         They wanted to answer him, but couldn’t seem to.
         “Some of our men were with them. They helped the others to escape. I bought them some time. I hope they made it.”
         Again Bernie stepped forward, “They will have. Without you they’d be…”
         “Enough is enough.” He stated, staring up at Bernie. “It ends now.”
         Bernie stared at him for a moment before nodding and forcing a slight smile.
         Robert had his back to them now, leaning one hand against the wall.
         “Robert?” Leon called and Robert turned slightly to look at him, “We may need some of our friends to join us. Ensure the troops are ready?”
         Robert turned solemnly and nodded, “Yea.”
         Bernie was looking at him quizzically as Leon spoke, “Send out the call Bern.”


*



         Rain lashed down as Robert was knocked to the wall, smacking his head on the brick.
         The two men in front of him laughed mockingly.
         “The great Robert Doofclotbone. Can’t see what the fuss is about.” laughed one of them.
         “Must be old age Chip,” said the other, guffawing at their foe.
         “Terrible affliction Bill. Luckily we knew a cure for that. Don’t we brother?”
         Robert charged and swung a fist at Bill’s face with such speed he barely registered it before being knocked sideways onto his brother. Robert grasped at his side as he sped away from the alley, hearing the Arnold’s getting to their feet behind him and giving chase. He rounded the corner swiftly and, after a few steps, turned and hurtled at the corner of the alley. The two men rounded the corner in time to meet Robert’s huge right arm as it swung into their jaws, sending them tumbling to the floor. He yelled in pain and grasped his side again.
         Not wanting to stay to see if they would rise Robert tore off in the opposite direction to the base. Left turn here; right turn; through the factory; to the roof; across to the park. It would take longer this way, but better than being followed.



         Leon thanked Potrer and rushed to the infirmary. As he neared he could hear Robert’s grimaces of pain.
         Inside, Robert was sat on a table being bandaged by Bernie. There was a bloody rag on the back of his head and butterfly stitches on his cheek, but apart from that… “How is he?”
         Robert grunted painfully, “He’s sitting right here y’know.”
         Bernie smiled fondly at him before turning to Leon. “Bruised ribs, minor nicks. He’s fine.”
         “Pfft! Fine my ass.”
         Leon walked towards him and smiled, “I’m glad you’re ok. The others arrived a few hours ago. They wish to thank you personally.”
         Robert waved his hand derisively. “Never mind that.” he pointed to the bag at his feet.
         Leon went to it, opened it and smiled. He walked back to Robert and patted him on the shoulder. “Well done my friend, rest now. Your part, for now, is over.”
         Robert nodded and lay back on the table groaning as he did.
         Leon beckoned Bernie follow him as he left.
         The two men walked towards Leon’s office, “Did you get all the details?”
         Bernie scoffed, “You know what he’s like; down to the letter. He met the others as they were pinned down by guard. They’d dropped the bag. He fought his way though and took a few knocks. Then was ambushed by the Arnolds. He says he slipped off the roof and landed hard, that was his ribs he says. They tried to get the drop on him and he fought them off.”
         Leon nodded as he listened, “The Arnold’s huh? It would seem that they’re getting stronger.”
         “It’s not what you think,” Bernie stopped him, “They’re training, obviously, but they’re still no match for Robert. Definitely not by themselves.”
         “What about the other one?”
         Bernie sighed, “He’s done nothing since he arrived. Seems to be content keeping his head down and spending his evening at the guard bar.”
         They reached Leon’s office and Bernie closed the door. “Still. Keep a sharp eye.”
         Leon put the bag on the table, brought out a metal tripod and threw it to Bernie who set it up in the centre of the room. “You sure you know how to use this?”
         “Who’re you talking to?”
         Leon laughed and brought out the Video camera. It looked a little worse for wear. “Hope it still works.”
         “Only one way to find out,” said Bernie, taking the camera from Leon and setting it on the Tripod.
         Leon went to stand on the other side of the desk and looked around. There was nothing in the room to indicate where they were.
         “You want a practice?”
         Leon shook his head, “Let’s just get this done.”


         The warmth that had covered his body was drawn out of him by cold water as it washed up against his limp body; it’s strength lifting him further up the shore.
         Creature’s sang high above him, puzzling him: such a wonderful sound, lifting him further even than the might of the sea.
         He tried to open his eyes and cringed and fidgeted as he used his what little strength he still had.
         His efforts allowed his left eyelid to form the tiniest crack between them and he looked upon the world with astonishment.
         From what he could see he was on a beautiful golden beach, empty, as far as he could tell. Creatures flew high above him, some across his line of vision, some seemed to be circling him.
         He strained to lift his head to examine the creatures better but found the action too much for him and his head fell back onto the wet sand.
         For a while he lay: not knowing who or where he was; not knowing why he was so sore or so weak. He tried to open his other eye, with less success than with his first one.
         With his one open eye he watched the water come closer to him; then go further away; closer to him; further away. It amused him somewhat.
         Straining to look to his right he noticed a large wall of brown muck: a seemingly indestructible barrier. He began chuckling at the water.
         He tried to speak but managed only a few feeble moans and grunts so thought his message instead, ‘Pointless, the struggle. Fight up the shore only to find an impassable obstacle, can only go back where you came’
         Then he heard a noise. A shout, no, a cry; coming from the top of the wall of muck.
         Though he could not answer it he wondered what it wanted to say to him. Perhaps he offended it in some way.
Soon he thought the same about the water as it suddenly rushed at him more violently than it had done before, with it came a handful of stones it had picked up of the beach and one, much larger, rock.
         His one open eye closed suddenly and the water retreated, laughing triumphantly at him.






http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2048711-LEON-Chapter-Three
© Copyright 2015 M.R.Baxter (timmytomato at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2048710-LEON--Chapter-Two