*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2049752-Divergent-Dilemma
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2049752
A hard drive proves one man guilty. But is it just as damning to the Agent who secures it?
Empty jail cells sailed by as Agent Talbot power-walked down the corridor.

Talbot could barely contain himself by the time he reached the last cell. “Veidt, you son of a bitch.”

“Ah, Agent Talbot. Nice to see you.” Veidt said.

“You wiped your hard drive from our system, then crashed it.”

“Worried you won’t get your promotion without a conviction? Don’t worry. I’m not looking for a way out.”

Veidt had a sharp chin, and perpetual grin. He had given the processing agent chills earlier that day, with his steely-eyed gaze.

“What do you want?” Talbot asked.

“I’ll restore your computers, and deliver a copy of my hard drive. But first, relay a message to Madison.”

“Are you kidding me? You can’t communicate to one of your victims, and you know it.”

“Tell her, I love her. And don’t wait for me.”

“You abused her.”

“Your choice Agent.” Veidt stood, face-to-face with Talbot. “But if you don’t, you have no proof. And I’ll walk.”

***

Later, Talbot returned to Veidt’s cell.

His eyebrows lifted. “Already?”

“I gave her the hallmark card, told her it was from the guys at the bureau. Then said, he’ll be locked up, with lipstick on, in no time.”

Veidt laughed. “Perfect. Did you see her read it?”

“No. She showed it off to her parents, then went to her room.”

“And there,” Veidt grinned, “she smeared chapstick on it, and revealed the invisible ink.”

“Time to hold up your end of the deal, you bastard.”

“Don’t be hasty, Agent. Tell me, did she reply?”

“She came back and thanked me.”

“And?”

Talbot hesitated. “She said, it’ll take a long time to trust someone again. But I’ll wait as long as I have to."

Veidt’s cackles echoed down the hall.
© Copyright 2015 Jordan Elliot (jordanelliot at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2049752-Divergent-Dilemma