*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2049925-Human-rights-violations-in-Mesopotamia
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Article · Opinion · #2049925
Mesopotamia is known as cradle of civilization, with its deep and rich 7,000-year history
Mesopotamia, known as the first cradle of civilization, with its deep and rich 7,000-year history, speaks of its current human rights situation.
“Camp Liberty”, adjacent to Baghdad International Airport, is a welcoming and intriguing name for anyone who may hear it from abroad, or one who may be familiar to it, but is actually unaware of its hidden truth and meaning. This is an ironic name, being anything but a “camp” and far from the meaning of “liberty”.
This site resembles more a prison and detention center, as its residents are surrounded by 4-meter tall cement blast walls and armed security personnel. And while we are in the 21st century, cutting off water, electricity, food and medicine have become tools to psychologically torture these residents. Iraqi officials loyal to the regime ruling Tehran have banned all human rights advocates, reporters and lawyers from entering the camp to keep the outside world in the dark about the true conditions these residents are suffering.
The deteriorating human rights situation in this corner of the globe is a thorn in the side of Mesopotamia, whereas this prehistoric land is home to the ancient city of Babylon and known for its kind and hospitable people.
So, what is the main ‘crime’ committed by the residents of this camp that basically oppose the regime sitting on the throne in Tehran? These dissidents have said a flat “NO” to the religious dictatorship ruling Iran and as far as the supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei is concerned this is an unforgivable crime. Here we may come to understand the paradox and deep hostility between civilization and religion.
This ‘Camp Liberty’ is in the heart of Mesopotamia – with all the crimes, deprivations, cruelty and extortion – and has now turned into a disgrace for the history of this country. We are talking about a location where international covenants on human rights, all laws and customs on refugee rights and even Islamic values are neglected as easy as drinking a cup of water. As a result, human beings and humanity altogether have lost their meanings. There is no doubt that this inhumane policy has extremely damaged Iraq’s popularity, dignity, and historical and international face.
Under Baghdad’s excruciating summer heat, at times reaching temperatures above 52 degrees Celsius, Iraqi forces ordered by National Security Advisor Falih Fayyad have deliberately prevented vehicles delivering food, gasoline, diesel fuel and also sewage trucks from entering the camp. This inhumane measure was implemented not just for one, but many consecutive days. This utterly cold-hearted policy has left the camp facing a serious crisis with living conditions deteriorating and hygiene risks escalating.
Iraqi forces have during the past 6 years staged dozens of attacks and 6 major massacres against these Iranian refugees, leaving over 115 dead and above 1,000 others injured and maimed. Therefore, it is crystal clear that these Iran-associated forces, acting at Tehran’s behest, sought to escalate the already harsh inhumane blockade on the camp to make life a living hell for the residents’ just days before Eid al-Fitr celebrations marking the end of the holy month of Ramadan and 30 days of fasting. It is worth noting that the camp is now on the verge of a humane catastrophe and major crisis because the entire infrastructure, including water distribution, sewage systems, the kitchen, food storage units and other apparatuses rely on the electricity provided by power generators. Thus, preventing the delivery of fuel will literally bring all life to a standstill under the brutal summer heat.
It should also be noted that to revoke the inhumane laws and prison-making measures, and restore the rights of Camp Liberty residents, the United Nations, United States and Iraqi government must live up to their obligations stated in their written agreement vis-à-vis individuals, under which they were moved from Camp Ashraf, located northeast of Baghdad, to Camp Liberty. To bring an end to these crimes as soon as possible all prison-making measures must come to an end and this site must be recognized as a UN-supervised refugee camp, followed with taking action to align the camp with international human rights standards. Camp Liberty residents deserve this because they are recognized as ‘protected persons’ under the 4th Geneva Convention and entitled to international protection and security. The residents are gusts of the Iraqi people and they have the right to enjoy the blessings of freedom, welfare and freedom of movement just like any other citizen in all countries across the globe.

Heshmat Alavi is a political activist and supporter for regime change in Iran. He writes on Iran and the Middle East. He tweets at @HeshmatAlavi
© Copyright 2015 heshmat (heshmat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2049925-Human-rights-violations-in-Mesopotamia