*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2050977-Relicto-Terra-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Dark · #2050977
A final farewell to Earth and all aspects of life here. (FICTION)

That was the day I was to leave Earth, never to return again. I knew I would never return; I didn't know that this would be my last day to live.

I woke up early that morning. I went through the motions that morning. I woke up, made myself some cofee, took a shower, put some clothes on, and then made and ate breakfast. Yet, something was different with my attitude going through these typically mundane tasks this morning. Not only did I complete each one in twice the normal time it would take me, but I felt great sorrow at the completion of each task. Not only would that be my last morning in this house, but it would be my last morning on Earth (or anywhere).

After I completed my morning rituals, I gathered my bags and moved them into Caddilac, as I knew I would forget them if I didn't go ahead and do this. I sat down on my couch, for the last time, to watch some tv on my extra large, lcd, flat screen tv, also for the last time. I flicked through the channels. Only half the channels I got had programming running. The rest of the channels had that static evacuation order alert that already seemed to be everywhere. I just wished that PSA had never been created, or, obviously, had a reason to be created. Everyone knew it would be issued any day though. The Mens-Virus (pronounced mince virus, after the latin word meaning brain and faculties) had already taken more than half the Earth's population. And it wasn't stopping.

It was a horrible disease. It was an airborne virus that affected, as you can guess, the brain. It started slowly, by making you get tired far more quickly than would be normal. After about a week, it would have spread throughout the brain and begin taking its toll on the poor soul who contracted the virus. It typically attacked the region of the brain responsivle for speech first. It would then move on to any other parts of the brain, until, well, you know...

I lost my whole family to the virus. My wife and my only son. They were gone. Ripped away from me.

My son was so young. He didn't deserve to die in such a horibble way. Or at all.

Now I'd lost another thing to this disease. My planet, my house, and, basically, my whole life. Along with all of these things, I lost my best link to my family. All that I would be allowed to take with me was a picture of them. In fact, besides a few pairs of clothes, that was the only thing I decided to bring. I would have no need of anything else I owned. Money? What use would U.S. minted money be on another planet, or in space? My t.v? What kind of programming was I supposed to be receiving out in space? Besides, it was too big.

The clock finally ticked around to 12:30. Too bad I couldn't have two more hours. My favorite show had finally come on.

I stepped out the door with the keys to my silver Cadillac in my hands. I unlocked the car, without locking the house. I sat in my car for five minutes before I turned it on. I wanted to stay so badly. I almost decided not to leave, and instead let myself become infected if it were to happen. I didn't, but I'm sure others who had lost even more than I had did take that option. I pulled out of my driveway and gave my house, and my life, a final goodbye.

I drove to the space-dock in silence. Nothing other than the sound of the rain on my windshield to break the silence.

I finally arived at the space-dock. As I looked upon the star ship I would be taking to another planet, I almost forgot about the massive greif which was weighing heavily upon my shoulders. Almost.

It was a sight to behold. It was massive. It was easily the size of five Empire State Buildings. Not only that, but it was covered in a bright, reflective, silver coating. When I noticed the large American flag painted on the side of the ship, I almost wondered if I should have brought some money, yet it didn't matter now.

The moment I stepped into proccessing for the flight, I remembered just how sad this event was to me once again. I decided at that moment, I would not shed a single tear until I had left Earth. I didn't want to look back at my final moments on my home planet and remember myself in tears.

© Copyright 2015 xephoran (xephoran at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2050977-Relicto-Terra-1