*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2051891-New-Life
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Death · #2051891
A boy finds himself lost, a mysterious girl offers guidance.
         So there I was, overlooking the city with the skyscrapers overlooking me. In front of me stood a girl. I don't know how I got here and I don't know who she is. Her hair was dark, long, with curls at the end. Her face was plain, no make up, just a natural beauty that was almost eerie. Her eyes were a piercing blue and that's when I really noticed she was looking at me.
         “Why don't you just jump? Its not going to hurt. You just have to think about how you'll get back up whenever you fall and it will happen. It's that simple.”
         “I don't think that it is though. I'm pretty positive I'll hit the ground.”
         “You already have. Now watch,” with that she ran for the edge and jumped. I just stood there, mouth wide open, unable to comprehend what I had just seen. I ran to the edge of the roof and looked over but I didn't see her. Then a blur flew passed me and I fell back and was consequently now looking up. Up at her but it wasn't her, she now had rocket boots on along with these steampunk style goggles, blue pants, and this brown worn out leather jacket.
         “I told you, all you have to do is think about how you want to get back up and it will happen. Now step back, let go of everything, and jump.”
         I stood for a few minutes and weighed my options. On one hand if she was right, I'd fly back up and be completely unharmed. On the other, she could just be a figment of my imagination and once I jump, that's it and I'm done. Against all logic that I had learned in my life up until now, I walked to about the middle of the roof, took a deep breath, and started to run. When I got to the edge I looked at her and leaped off the side of the 40 story building. I noticed something as I jumped, she was smiling. For once in my life I didn't over-think anything even though I really should have. I let everything go and it felt amazing. I felt the wind on my face, I felt it racing through my hair, it all felt so real. It was real. That's when I started thinking, I'm falling. The ground is coming at me and I needed to think about how I was going to get back up. What is the easiest way for things to fly? Shit! Its coming up fast! I've got it! Wings! And that was it, just before I hit the ground, two white-ish/gray wings sprouted from my shoulders, heavy and strong, and lifted me up. I raced back up to her at the top of the building as if I'd been flying my whole life. When I got to the top She was standing in the middle, looking out over the city.
         “What the hell is going on?! And who exactly are you anyway? Seriously, I need some answers right now.”
         She turned around, smiled at me, and said, “For those, you'll have to catch me.” And off she went, shooting up towards the skyscrapers. I didn't have a choice, I had to go after her and find out what was going on. So I took off after her, the massive wings carrying me effortlessly through the sky. Just I started to catch up with her, she hooked around a building and started flying up the side, I turned as quick as I could and followed. When I got to the top, she was standing at the edge, once again looking off into the distance. I landed and walked up next to her, she turned and looked at me with a very serious expression on her face.
         “You want to know what's going on? Fine, you deserve to know because eventually you're going to figure it out. First, my name is Leona and I'm here to help you.”
         “Help me with what?”
         She sighed, “This isn't easy to say and I doubt you're going to take it well so I'm just going to hit you with it. You're dead. You've been dead for about a week but you've been stuck in limbo. After careful review, you've been allowed to come back and spend time among the living.”
         “WHAT?! I'm dead?! Why don't I remember this? Why don't I have any sort of memory of anything up until now?” I felt like I was going to cry but for some reason, I couldn't.
         “No one has recollection of their death. Its honestly better that way. I'm here to help you transition as best I can. A friend, for all intents and purposes from now, until the end of time.”
         “I honestly don't know where to begin. What about my family?”
         “They've payed their respects already. You've been put in the ground. Life goes on. And so it will go on for you. What you have been given may seem cruel, but I want you to look at it like this. You've been given a chance to explore the world, see the things you never got to see. You can now see the world in a whole new perspective. To really get the meaning of life, you first have to understand what its really all about. Unfortunately, sometimes that means you have to lose your life first. I know you might be feeling hopeless right now or maybe you don't feel anything. But believe me, I've been where you are. You're going to need a friend.”
         It didn't help but I understood where she was coming from. For some reason, I just accepted it. I couldn't feel the anger anymore. It didn't matter, I was dead. I could explore and do things now that I couldn't while I was alive.
         “Okay well then what are we standing around here for? If I've really got all the time in the world, let's fly!”
         I leaned off the side of the building and let myself fall into my new life.
© Copyright 2015 C.D. Franz (cfranz90 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2051891-New-Life