*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2054566-Walker-to-the-Rescue
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2054566
Can he break through the writer's block of their creator?
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
NEW PROMPT:
Your main character of a forgotten manuscript manages to:
Become human and live in the real world, at least for a while.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////


“I don’t understand.” Walker looked toward Samantha, a puzzled look on his face. “Friends have asked her to write more about us, yet there's an unfinished Word entry growing stale on the external hard drive.”

His wife of less than a year gazed lovingly into his dark blue eyes, knowing his complaint had no answer. She had watched their creator from the screen of their laptop home as the woman battled her severe writer’s block. “Sweetheart, you have to be patient,” Samantha whispered. She reached over to gently touch his arm.

They had just finished a late morning breakfast in the mansion’s dining room when they looked out from the screen to see their creator enter her office. The sound of her frustrated sigh after she pulled up Word’s Document1 blank page reignited Walker’s impatience. He was desperate to continue living, if only in the imagination of their creator’s faithful readers. No longer willing to wait, he came to a radical decision. “Sam, do you trust me?”

“Always, why?”

Walker pulled his wife to her feet before answering. Looking around the nearly empty dining room, he then brought her close to him. “Just hold on tight.” In the time it would take a clock to go from one second to the next, the couple disappeared.

***


The elderly lady sitting at the computer desk let out a scream as two people suddenly appeared standing next to her. She fainted before slipping to the floor with a loud thud.

“Oh, what did you do to her?” Samantha knelt to put her fingers against the woman’s neck and was relieved to feel the frantic pounding of a pulse. Once again standing, she watched as her husband sat in the suddenly vacant computer chair. “What are you doing, and how did we get here?”

He ignored her second question, but began typing instead. “Sam, she just needs some help to bring everyone at our estate back to life again. There are children waiting to grow up in our orphanage and elderly guests needing ways to feel needed.” By now Walker was typing rapidly as fresh thoughts came to mind. “We got here by my simply wishing we could be alive for five minutes, but our time here is almost over.” Even as he answered her, Walker had typed half a dozen paragraphs containing idea after idea.

He finally stopped typing only when he noticed his fingers begin to fade one after another. He stood and once again pulled his wife close to him. “Let’s hope at least one of those ideas smashes through the writer’s block of our creator.” After saying this, Walker smiled at his wife before leaning to give her a kiss with all the love his creator had given them.

***


Once back in the mansion’s dining room, Walker and Samantha looked back through the laptop’s screen into the room they recently were in. They saw their creator unsteadily pull herself up from the floor and sit back in her computer chair. Walker did feel a touch guilty about scaring the elderly woman that way, but the guilt turned to excitement when he saw her begin reading what he had typed.

He watched her begin slowly digesting what was written in front of her. When one of his ideas brought a happy smile to their creator’s face, Walker knew soon he, his beautiful Sam, and the rest of the residents on his large estate, Home of the Red Fox, would once again come to life.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
"The Writer's Cramp daily entry for 08/25/2015
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

© Copyright 2015 J. A. Buxton (judity at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2054566-Walker-to-the-Rescue