*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2054651-Soldiers-Of-Snow-And-Ice
Rated: E · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #2054651
What exactly is Santa up to?
The moonlight landed in cold pools around the snowmen's feet, casting long, twisted shadows. The tall pine trees bordering the fields of snow thrashed against the howling wind. A hazy curtain of fast falling, fat snowflake flurries obscured the landscape. Somehow the many rows of snowmen seemed untouched by the harsh conditions. They were not the friendly snowmen found basking in front yards, built by children on frosty snow days filled with sunshine and ice skating. These were tall and mysterious, ominous like a silent threat. Small vacant coal eyes and crooked carrot noses, frozen solid, waiting patiently.

A splash of color appeared on the horizon, drawing attention like a firework against the bleak and barren surroundings. As the pinprick of red drew closer, it could be distinguished as a figure cloaked in a scarlet, fur trimmed jacket, pulled tightly against the storm. He paused at the crest of the nearest hill, sharp, calculating blue eyes darted across the sea of snowmen, surveying his vast army through an ice encrusted beard. Chapped blood red lips contorted into a cruel smile, baring yellowed tombstone teeth to the stinging blast of cold. Narrowing his eyes, Santa descended the hill to his devoted soldiers.

All heads swiveled in unison, black eyes resting on their master's overweight figure. His deep voice resonated across the land, battling the whistling wind to be heard, as Santa began his rant.

"When I agreed to share this world with the pesky humans, I was expecting my territory to remain untouched!" He shouted manically. "But obviously, that is not how things are working out. I realize that if this goes on much longer, my home will no longer exist." He paused, then continued, his voice rising to a new pitch. "This is unacceptable! They've had this planet long enough, it's our turn to rule! We will punish them for the damage they have done! Enslave them and feast on their miserable corpses!"

The many faces remained silent and expressionless, but the hard ebony eyes lit up eagerly at the prospect of power.

The snow picked up speed, cloaking everything in blinding white. Tornadoes of ice daggers sliced through the atmosphere, columns of frozen air slammed repeatedly down into the Earth, flattening trees. Santa chuckled gleefully and rubbed his hands together in anticipation. He would claim the whole world for his desolate kingdom of ice and snow.
© Copyright 2015 Empress L.B. (mrsneezeweed at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2054651-Soldiers-Of-Snow-And-Ice