*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2055609-Sunshine-and-the-Strawberry-Stand
Rated: E · Fiction · Children's · #2055609
Poppy has too many strawberries this year and Sunshine comes up with an idea to share them
Sunshine
and the
Strawberry Stand

By: D.W.


wd: ct; 1120



“Hello, my name is Sunshine.”
"What's yours? " ...
“I like that name...!"

This is a story about one of my favorite days and I would like to share it with you.”

“Good morning Nanny,” I said as I climbed up into the chair for breakfast. The smell of bacon and eggs filled the kitchen air.
“Bonjour my little Sunshine. Did you sleep well?”
“I sure did!" I replied while stuffing a slice of toast covered with strawberry jam in my mouth that Nanny made waiting for me.
"I had a dream during the night that it was raining strawberries. I held out my hands and I caught the strawberries as they fell around me. I was catching them and eating them as fast as they were falling from the sky. I ate so many strawberries. I felt like the luckiest kid around. Then I woke up.”

“That is probably because you and Poppy spend a lot of time in the garden during strawberry season and this year they seem to have doubled." Nanny said. That made me think of a way to use the extra strawberries. So, I asked Nanny?
“Do you think we could make a strawberry stand and share some strawberries with the neighbors?" She smiled at me and said.
“What a splendid idea Sunshine. I would hate to have to throw any out because we have too many strawberries this year. Then, Nanny walked and I ran outside to the garden.

“Poppy! Poppy! Can we make a strawberry stand and share some of the strawberries with the neighbors?" I pleaded with him.
“You know Sunshine I was just thinking of what to do with all the extra strawberries we have. Nanny already has plenty to make her jams and pies so, yes that is a brilliant idea.” He said smiling.

“I have an old desk and some boards in the garage. Let’s go have a look!”
Nanny and I followed Poppy into the garage. He found the old dusty desk and some paint brushes. Nanny picked out a couple good boards for signs and I found some red and green finger paints Nanny gave me for my birthday last year.
“I think we have enough to get started," said Poppy. "I’ll clean the desk while you and Nanny paint the signs.”

I painted a big red strawberry with green leaves on my board and Nanny painted the words “Fresh Strawberries” on the other board.
“What a nice job you two did!” Poppy said, happily.
“Now while the paint is drying we need to pick and clean the strawberries." Said Nanny.
Then she brought out three large buckets to put the strawberries in while we picked.

"Wow, look at this big one!" I said. Then Poppy held up a bigger one than mine.
"Oh my gosh! That's huge!" I replied full of excitement.
Soon, it became a make-believe contest over who could find the biggest strawberry. I picked and searched the patch as best as I could. It was hard work, the heat beaming from the sun caused us to start sweating. But it was worth every tasty minute.

When we finished, Poppy won our pretend contest. He found the biggest strawberry of all. It was fun trying, maybe I'll win next year. We filled all three buckets full of sweet strawberries.
Then, Poppy nailed the sign to the front of the desk and we set up the strawberry stand in the front yard. We filled up a bunch of sandwich bag's with strawberries, and set them side by side on the desk ready to hand out to everyone who came by.
The first neighbors that came over were Mr. and Mrs. Brannon from next door.
“These are delicious, so sweet and so big. I don't think I have ever seen such big strawberries before." Said Mrs. Brannon as the red juice dripped from her mouth. Good thing we have plenty of napkins. Mr. Brannon laughs but didn't say much because his mouth was too full of strawberries. He did give me a big thumbs up in return.

I shouted out! "Freshly picked strawberries for free, come and try some.”
The next neighbors that came over was my best friend Chawn, and her parents
Mr. and Mrs. Lodge. She asked, “Did you grow them yourself?
“No,” I replied. “My Poppy grew them in his garden, but I did help water them a
few times, but mostly I ate them!”

Then the Taylor sisters came over and Nanny handed them both a bag full of strawberries. "Wow, they said together. These are the sweetest and best we've ever had."
Then I handed them some more napkins. Within an hour, it looked like the whole neighborhood was in the yard.

The Avalos family came by with there little three boys. Then the Torres family stopped by with their new baby twin girls. Even old Mr. Williams and his little rescue dog Jake came by from down the street.

Before we knew it, our front yard was packed with many of our neighbors eating strawberries and visiting each other. Chawn and I slipped away under a big shade tree in her backyard, our shirts sagging full of strawberries.
We talked, we laughed and we stuffed ourselves with strawberries until we couldn't eat anymore. It was so much fun spending the day with my best friend.

The hours went by quickly, and the neighbors stayed around talking to each other long after the strawberries were gone.
By the time it started getting dark everyone began saying, "Goodnight" to each other as they went back to their homes.

Chawn and I could barely hug each other because our bellies were so full. But we stretched out our arms and hugged, then said, "Goodnight, I'll see you tomorrow," at the same time. "I really had a lot of fun today Chawn."
"So did I Sunshine. "She said and walked back home across the street.
Poppy carried the stand back into the garage, Nanny and I picked up napkins and other trash and threw it away in the garbage.

Nighttime came quickly and Nanny helped me get cleaned up with fresh pajamas and ready for bed.
I told her that, "I had the most wonderful tasty day ever. Can we do it again next year?" I asked excitedly.
She said. "Yes, I believe we can." Then she pulled the covers up to my shoulders tucking me in for the night.
“I can’t wait until next strawberry season, I promise to help Poppy much more with the strawberries, you'll see." I said.
Then she kissed my forehead and said.
“Sweet strawberry dreams my little Sunshine.”


The End

{/center}
© Copyright 2015 Sewcrazy Again 🤗 (sewcrazyone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2055609-Sunshine-and-the-Strawberry-Stand