*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2057443-The-Wolf-The-Kitten-and-The-Gypsy
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Dami
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Animal · #2057443
The sad tale of a lone wolf, his kitten, and a human.
The lone wolf braves the storm, cold, hungry and alone. Once a great alpha and now nothing more than a lone beast. The rain batters down against the wolf, and all he thinks on is the family he once had that turned him away when he smelt too strongly of humans. In the cold dark, there was a tiny, shivered sound that broke through the mundane of the rain patter upon the earth. The alpha raised his head, and spotted a tiny creature trying to brave the storm with great hardship. The wolf's stomach ached with hunger, so he ventured closer upon spying the small creature to be nothing more than a kitten. The wolf studied it a moment before dashing forward and catching it up by it's flank, running along the moistened earth until he found shelter. He placed the small creature down and nudged around some vines before unearthing a small cave, just big enough to sleep comfortably. He turned and snatched up the small, wet ball of fluff before it could run and quickly darted inside. There, the alpha laid down, curling around himself before putting the kitten against his frame to keep it safe and warm. He would then guide it with his paws and snout until it stopped trying to crawl from him and settled within his hold. The tiny shivering ball, soon warmed against the alpha and let out a rip-roar of delighted purring, carefully pawing against the wolf's chest before curling up into a ball and going to sleep. The storm raged on throughout the night, but when the sun rose, there was peace.
The birds began to sing to signal morning. The wolf yawned, extending his maw to it's fully opened position before snapping it shut as he stretched out his paws. But to his surprise, the ball of fluff had gone. Frantically, he looked around in the darkness of the cave before walking out and looking around. Panic stricken that some beast might have snatched the poor thing up whilst they slept. Then came the sound that calmed all of his fears. A soft, gentle, muffled mew from his feet. The lone wolf lowed his head and looked at the kitten, who now held up a mouse, his first kill and the meal he was offering now to his protector. The wolf softened, his heart melting. He gently took the mouse and ate it, before picking the kitten up in his mouth and placing it upon his back. Happily the feline kneaded his back and curled up, safe and warm. The wolf began to look around and quickly bounded onto several mice of which he shared with his tiny companion. It was bliss. The lone wolf now had an adorable furry companion, to care for, to love and to watch grow as he did with his own pups many moons before. For the first time, his lonely days were not so lonely, and he was content.


One morning, while traveling through the woods, they happened upon the sweet, tempting smell of fresh meat, mixed with the sickening aroma of a fire. This meant only one thing to the wolf. Humans. He nuzzled his small companion awake and placed him on the ground, telling him to tread cautiously. The kitten agreed and quickly followed underneath the wolf, whom now was his protection. When the blaze came into view, the wolf's eyes fixed on the meat. If there was a human there, they'd wandered off, leaving their fresh kill unguarded. Quickly, he moved the kitten beside a tree, where he would remain unseen, and then darted over, grabbing up a large chunk of meat before running over to the kitten. He placed it down, put the small creature on his back, took up the meat again and dashed several feet away for them to enjoy the fresh meat without disturbance; however, the gypsy that had made the fire and was cooking the meat for his own desire, had watched the theft and now came for them both. The sound of a cracking stick had the strong, one wolf turned about, teeth barred, body hunched as he snarled at the approaching human. Then he stopped, staring rather confused as the gypsy brought forth more of the kill, dropping it before the wolf and smiling. The wolf growled again and grabbed the meat, backing up and placing it beside the other chunk. The kitten now darted behind him, watching from between his front legs, shivering with fear.
The human sat down before them, taking a bit of the cooked meat and eating it, motioning his hand for the two to part-take in the food he'd given to them. The wolf eyed him cautiously, but could not help the trust of the kitten, who was happily feeding his hungered belly. The wolf watched both for a time before settling and laying down, devouring as much as he could stand before looking back at the gypsy who was still there. A growl again escaped the wolf's throat, but the gypsy male was not detoured. He simply held out his hand to the alpha. The alpha used his hind leg to keep the kitten back before cautiously approaching the human and giving his hand a sniff, jumping when the hand moved to stroke his fur. Immediately he snapped at and missed the hand, trying to give a fair warning to the gypsy. The human only laughed and continued to pet the strong wolf. He calmed again and sat before the human, enjoying the gentle touch as it smoothed his fur. His tail began to sway back and forth behind him and the kitten took this as an opportunity to play with it. The wolf gave a gentle, contented murr sound before laying with his head in the lap of the gypsy, who continued to stroke his fur and scratch behind his ears. The kitten soon grew tired and curled up beside the wolf, relaxed as they both fell to sleep, feeling rather safe by the gypsy. But now, the gypsy slipped a collar from his pocket, hidden under the fur that was never looked at, for the pelt was wolf. Swiftly and nimbly, the gypsy slipped the collar about the alpha's neck and attached a leash. He stood and tugged it a few times til the wolf startled awake. The human called out something in his human tongue and tugged the wolf to his feet, dragging him along. The alpha thrashed a bit and tried to fight, but soon calmed when he felt the sharp pain his his body as the leash furled and struck it. He turned violently and tried desperately to snap up the still sleeping kitten, unwilling to abandoned his companion. The gypsy refused and soon dragged the wolf off along with him, forever his pet now trapped under the servitude of his collar.

The lone wolf called out his lonesome cry, and the kitten stirred. He yawned and stretched and sat up, happily looking around for his companion. Before long, the kitten grew scared, feeling alone and he would call out to his companion. Each mew more afraid and shaking than the last, before he realized, his companion wasn't there and was never coming back. He slowly padded over to a tree, still hopeful he curled up under the exposed roots, and sat, purring to keep his spirits up, he sat, just watching and waiting. He hoped, with all the love in his heart, that one day, soon perhaps, he would see his alpha again, possibly holding up a fresh mouse, and they would be happy. And so he would wait, and wait, never moving from that spot lest he miss a chance to see his wolf again. And he would continue to wait, until his heart could no longer bear to beat, crushed by the loneliness and the loss of his wolf.
© Copyright 2015 Dami (damizevalgore at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2057443-The-Wolf-The-Kitten-and-The-Gypsy